Menards

www.menards.com

Menards Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.

John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing(in 92 reviews)

• Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - your life is Menards(in 21 reviews)

• Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts(in 46 reviews)

Moderate work. with much information to learn.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Comstock Park, MI

ProsTo have an income while attending college.

ConsRequired to lean much information to have product knowledge, and having to work with some not deserving coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who work harder than others.

Part-time Plumbing Team Member

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) Freeport, IL

ProsGood pay, great people, and they worked around schedule conflicts that came up as a full time college student. Plus they offer many opportunities to advance within the company if you're willing to move. Great learning experience that can be applied to many normal household problems that everyone has to deal with at some point in their life.

ConsHours often ran long at night on weekends when sales tags were being swapped out. Can be overwhelming at first as the amount of information to absorb and product locations to memorize are vast.

frustrating but rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI started as a cashier and have managed 2 departments and worked in several other areas. great training for DIY projects. Management salaries and bonuses are good and there is tons of opportunities to promote.

ConsAs a manager you are required to work a lot of hours and miss out on a lot of family time. Salary gets capped out after you have been there for awhile.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Wage for Retail, Excellent for Students

Cashier (Former Employee) South Bend, IN

Pros-Flexible work schedule
    -Opportunity for advancement, excellent manager-in-training program
    -Above average starting wage ( $8.80 in Northern IN)
    -Regular raises, 10 cents @ 90 days, 6 mos., one year, annually after
    -Premium pay on weekends (E.g. Extra $2.50 an hour on Sat. and Sun.)
    -Great position for college/high school student or someone needing a flexible schedule
    -Can transfer throughout locations

Cons-Dependent on store location, have heard of micromanaging and inflexible managers
    -Part time workers do not receive Premium pay when working Holidays
    -Retail hours, so many nights and weekends
    -Monotonous work, can have boring days
    -Sticklers for following procedures ( E.g. Always asking guests if they want to put their purchase on the Menards Big Card)

Advice to Senior Management-Prioritize the things that are most important for Cashiers to say, allowing the guest experience to be more personable
    -Ensure managers treat employees with respect and compassion across all store locations

Sales Member

Sales Team Member (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are great to get along with, they have bonus pay for working weekends so that is a plus.

ConsSometimes may stay past scheduled time.

A nice clean place to work and make friends

Morning Stocker Menards (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsYou will learn a lot about the department you work in. You will learn about different products which is great if you have a project at home and you know what products you need. You will also meet nice customers time to time. It is great working as a team. Everyone is very helpful to make sure every team member succeeds.

ConsIt is difficult working in a department you know little about and their products. Customers have a lot of questions at times and it can be challenging to constantly look for a team member to help. You also have a lot of training to do with the computer. It can be overwhelming learning all of the small details at the store.

Long hours and sore feet

Front End Manager (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsPlenty of work to do, and you will get a good walk

ConsCompany doesn't always live up to promises. Very little appreciation for new ideas and past experience outside of the company

Advice to Senior Managementmodernize and open the checkbook for technology

My experience was short lived at Menards. Okay, but I never felt comfortable working there.

Part Time (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThey pay better than most retail. Extra on Weekends.

ConsI never felt comfortable working at the store. I felt like they did not know what my abilities were and they did not try to find out. They watch employees more than customers for theft. If you purchase things in the store it is taken out of your paycheck. You punch out for your breaks, the break room is an open area where customers can also purchase from the vending machines. Full time is hard to achieve with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees feel comfortable in the work place. Managers need to be more approachable. A little more emphasis on your employees. The word Guest is being used wrong in your stores, you need to look up the definition of a customer and a guest.

Large company that is growing and promotes fast.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Cheyenne, WY

ProsAt Menards they offer a variety of training that allows you to become a store manager within 5 years. This is a great company for someone who is willing to relocate. The opportunities for promotions are endless at Menards. Company also gives a 10% discount. It is a performance based company so it really is up to the employee.

ConsLike many retailers the turnover rate is high. If you don't make profit sharing you will loose out on a 2.5-15% salary bonus depending on the length of your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like every store operates differently. I would like to know if I transfer locations that the operations are being held to the same standards.

Tough place to work. A great deal of stress. Little or no loyalty to long term employees.

Buyer (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsMany good, very intelligent people. Good profit sharing program. You can learn a lot about retail

ConsLow Pay and not so great benefits. Long hours. No sick time. Forced to use vacation time for sick days. Once those are gone only option is a non paid day off. So, so insurance. No recognition for a job well done. The only feedback positive or negative you ever get is a threat to your job or they do not remove your contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some feedback after reviews so team members know how to improve. Get better benefits equivalent to those of a large company that wants to keep its good people.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!