Menards Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
825 reviews filtered by
3.1
Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.
John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Employees who work over 1,000 hours in a year get an IPS bonus (instant profit sharing) (in 115 reviews)

• Flexible hours, very easy to move up, decent pay with scheduled raises and bonuses (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours standing by a cashier could be stressful during peak season (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance - your life is Menards (in 23 reviews)

I currently work at store 3060, Forsyth IL, and I love it.

Current Employee - Wallcoverings Team Member in Forsyth, IL
    Current Employee - Wallcoverings Team Member in Forsyth, IL

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than a year)

Pros

My managers are awesome. The GMs are all very easy to get along with and they have a sense of humor. $2.50 extra on weekends and holidays. Flexible hours and it's easy to get a day off. Pay raises come frequently. Menards really takes care of you especially as a student.

Cons

Breaks are only 10 minutes which sometimes barely enough time to get all the way to the front of the store and get through line, but with my management I can take 15 and be fine but a lunch is 30 minutes so that is fine!

Increase breaks to 15 minutes.

2. Closing shifts stink

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in O'Fallon, IL
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in O'Fallon, IL

I have been working at Menards

Pros

Extra pay on weekends, profit sharing great co workers manager great

Cons

Have issues on cloing shifts told you can't leave til everyone is done

I understand things have to get done.if there is a project that needs to be done call more people in

Hardware department/garden center

I have been working at Menards

Pros

Lots of nice customers, great coworkers, decent pay including extra on the weekends. Also, good exercise with the everyday working tasks.

Cons

Occasional inevitable grouchy customer, weekend work, sometimes lousy hours to work.

5. Fantastic but I'm not a fan of the 'suck ups'

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Menards part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of people to talk to. Get lots of experience.

Cons

Same people do the same things. Sadly but there will always be suck ups to management

Spread jobs around. Have different people doing different tasks all the time instead of the same people. Allow some people to get too know the store.

Great experience.

I have been working at Menards

Pros

Fun work environment. Very educational when it comes to home improvement. Profit sharing is a great way to increase company loyalty amongst the team members.

Cons

Promotions are difficult unless you are willing to relocate to other stores or other regions. Compensation should be more competitive.

7. Not bad

Current Employee - Cashier in Antioch, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Antioch, IL

I have been working at Menards

Pros

The pay is better than minimum wage they have decent dental insurance for part timers and for the most part the people there are really friendly

Cons

Depends on the store your at sometimes it can really lag for cashiers also there isn't any health insurance unless your full time which most people aren't. They insist on having you fill propane at some locations which I didn't like. The only problems I've ever encountered with them is the general managers all seem like there on huge power trips. It's pretty ridiculous.

Use your head don't make people do pointless things just because you can.

The company leadership has lost touch with what has made the company...its team members.

I worked at Menards

Pros

Great people to work with and profit sharing.

Cons

The company truly does not care about its team members.

Get out before you are fully invested.

9. ok, poor benefits

Current Employee - Department Manager - Millwork
    Current Employee - Department Manager - Millwork

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

easy work, good pay for the work,

Cons

poor vacation time, poor health care, no 401k match, as a manager 40% of your income comes within a 1 month period

Watch other successful companies and imitate them such as Costco. You will need to create better work life balance for fulltime and part time employees to get them to stay.

10. Menard's values

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They promote within. I became a 2nd assistant department manager without being full time first within 8 months. One of the best training programs offered out there. Great benefits for all employees.

Cons

Second assistants get the short end of the stick with scheduling. G.O. doesn't realize you work with you have team member wise. Like another reviewer put shoot first ask questions later is right. Inventory audits are jokes because they don't actually get on ladders and check for products which is just a fancy way to take bonuses or fined if you don't pass.

General Office really should look more into why DCs add inventory to our counts when we actually don't receive the product and why each department isn't given a packing list to insure we are actually receiving said items. Also an inventory audit should be done with the stores inventory controller and an evaluation done on them as well because our stores inventory controller is a POS. Scheduling should be more fair to all employees mainly speaking on management. Second assistants should have a rotating pattern with the first assistant. And since when did it make since to have the head department manager to only close once a week?! Now that we have 3 stocking programs the guidelines should change because multiple stock team members have told me they feel like the main DM just doesn't care when that isn't the case. I absolutely Love Menard's my team and my store but things need to change because I have never seen sooo many people quit in such a short time frame since guide lines have changed.

11. Fast paced, long hours if you want them, plenty of opportunity, and pretty time consuming.

Current Employee - OSY in Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - OSY in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extra pay on weekends/holidays, ability to transfer between stores for school.

Cons

Mandatory work day, (Black Friday) and heavy turnover rates.

Work on hiring better people, not just bodies.