Menards
www.menards.com Eau Claire, WI 5000+ Employees

Menards Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.

John R. Menard Jr.

Pros:
  • "Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing"
    in 86 reviews
  • "Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance - your life is Menards"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts"
    in 44 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

My experience was short lived at Menards. Okay, but I never felt comfortable working there.

Part Time (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsThey pay better than most retail. Extra on Weekends.

ConsI never felt comfortable working at the store. I felt like they did not know what my abilities were and they did not try to find out. They watch employees more than customers for theft. If you purchase things in the store it is taken out of your paycheck. You punch out for your breaks, the break room is an open area where customers can also purchase from the vending machines. Full time is hard to achieve with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your employees feel comfortable in the work place. Managers need to be more approachable. A little more emphasis on your employees. The word Guest is being used wrong in your stores, you need to look up the definition of a customer and a guest.

Tough place to work. A great deal of stress. Little or no loyalty to long term employees.

Buyer (Current Employee)
    Eau Claire, WI

ProsMany good, very intelligent people. Good profit sharing program. You can learn a lot about retail

ConsLow Pay and not so great benefits. Long hours. No sick time. Forced to use vacation time for sick days. Once those are gone only option is a non paid day off. So, so insurance. No recognition for a job well done. The only feedback positive or negative you ever get is a threat to your job or they do not remove your contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some feedback after reviews so team members know how to improve. Get better benefits equivalent to those of a large company that wants to keep its good people.

Good Compensation if you dedicate your life.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Clio, MI

ProsDecent pay in management. Many opportunity for advancement

ConsMuch is expected out of you. Must be willing to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould rather have more money per hour than have a bonus check at the beginning of the year.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Above average for Retail

Part Time Electrical Team Member (Current Employee)
    Saint Peters, MO

ProsWeekend pay differential (bonus), regular merit increases, discount on purchases of course. Profit sharing available after 1000 hours worked to all eligible employees in a fiscal year after the store posts profits. The longer and employees service the larger the percentage the payout can be.

ConsUnderstaffing and sometimes working alone can be difficult and demanding. Break periods are short; 10 minutes and meals are only 30 minutes. Training seems about average, most stores require departments to hold monthly meetings. Advancement is limited unless you are in an area that is growing; new stores being built or in an area where people are moving to other stores promoting up.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger breaks for meals would be nice. Better break rooms with more than just bare bones necessities would be appreciated.

It was a fun experience and learned a lot.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Kearney, NE

ProsDescent pay for college job.

ConsHired new people all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to treat employees all the same

Good place to work

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Clive, IA

Prosgood pay, good chance for advancement as long as you are willing to relocate. Upper management is excellent to work with.

ConsDept. Management (front end) unfair when giving full-time positions, unwilling to train employees in other dept. to be able to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as you would have them treat your best customer, and to remember you were once on the bottom and ask yourself how you would want to be treatd!

Fantastic

Receiving (Former Employee)
    Peoria, IL

ProsWorked in Recieving. Great staff and excellent management.

ConsDealing with incompetent customers and the plumbing department

Decent

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Anderson, IN

ProsDecent pay, understanding department managers

ConsStore managers, schedules. Even the store managers work weekends. I guess that's probably all retail though.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax. Down talking your managers won't give the store better productivity.

It was ok, but I'd never work there as a career.

OY Member (Former Employee)
    Onalaska, WI

ProsThe pay is decent in the OY/Shipping and Receiving Department. Schedule is really flexible.

ConsUpper management seems to have no clue about how a store actually runs. Just because something sounds good in theory doesn't mean it'll work in practice. GOs constantly come and complain about every little thing, somehow expecting the store to be perfect 24/7/365. Working in the Receiving Department is thankless work. The other departments think Receiving does nothing, and they don't realize Receiving is the only thing keeping the store from falling apart.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe empathetic. At one point you were probably doing the same grunt work, so look back and see how it would feel if you were in their shoes.

Great work environment with great Team Members.

Front End (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, IA

ProsThe things i like about Menards is that everybody is friendly, there is always ways to advance. The weekend pay is decent.

ConsThe things that aren't so great at Menards is that you work most weekends, you are always on your feet moving, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but after a week you start to feel it.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Menards reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Menards CEO John R. Menard Jr. All 582 reviews posted anonymously by Menards employees.