Menards Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.
John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing (in 93 reviews)

• Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - your life is Menards (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

I have been working at Menards

Pros

-Management team is pretty good
    -Depending on store can work as many hours in a week as you would like
    -Easy job once you get trained and use to store
    -Plenty of advancement opportunities if you want to have zero life outside of work

Cons

-Work/life balance is TERRIBLE if you desire to advance with the company. They expect 50-60 as assistant manager
    -Favoritism was played in my store, obviously will depend on which store you work for
    -Pay employees part-time wages and work them 50+ hours
    -Very obvious that their low prices come at the expense of their employees

Like i mentioned in the cons it is very obvious that your low prices come at the expense of your employees.

Eh it was ok,, Commerical Sales not so fun

I have been working at Menards full-time

Pros

pay is ok if ur making sales

Cons

growth is slow and you might have to move around, if you dont make your sales which is not always on you, it can get kinda depressing
    Can be very long hours

Take it easy on us, it was a hard job and ur pressure doesnt make it any easier

Awesome experience!!!!

Current Employee - HRC  in  Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - HRC in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Menards full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Menards is a great company to work for! Many companies will not give you an interview, let alone hire you for the job, if you do not have a lot of experience. Menards is different! Menards hires applicants based on personality. If you have a passion for helping and serving others, then they will provide you endless opportunities to develop your knowledge and grow with the company. If you promote into a management position, you can really make a lot of money and you have a pretty decent work schedule too. Menards offers excellend training too! When I started with Menards, I had VERY little home improvement experience. They provided me with a lot of free training that I could do at my own pace and from my own home.

Cons

Retail is detail! If you don't have the patience to listen to others and the details of the project that they are working on, then retail may not be for you. Retail is all about helping others.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its a good start. Not long stay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Menards full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent, work is laid back, can listen to music

Cons

no real training, have to beg for things to do, atmosphere is a cube no windows

better work flow management

I've worked part time at menards for over 5 years

I have been working at Menards

Pros

Lots of room to grow with the company and they love to hire within. You could start casual part time and work up to managing a store. They offer profit sharing at increasing increments for employees full or part time.

Cons

It is a corporation so dont expect to much leeway when there is a week that just doesn't go right. Kids get sick, spouse has an accident, babysitters unavailable etc..

Consider adding a monetary increase based on ACTUAL merit rather than just an annual test

Menards was nice and friendly place.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Bridgeview, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at Menards part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone was helpful and nice.

Cons

The organized can be better.

It has been a great experience.

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service  in  Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service in Rockford, IL

I worked at Menards part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Plenty of hours available to work
    -Nice employees that are willing to help outside of their department
    -Great Guest Service to all customers that come in
    -Knowledgeable staff in every department

Cons

-Not everyone takes advantage of the free in-home-training to gain knowledge of materials
    -Some times the customers/guests that come in can be a hand-full
    -It can be hard to get time off with short notice
    -There is a point system where if you gain too many points you may be terminated

Keep up the good work that you are doing around the store.

You create your path

I worked at Menards full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They pay very well for a retail store. They provide better than average benefits, a very nice profit soaring program and lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Retail is challenging no matter who you work for, so YOU have to decide if you can handle helping people all day. If you don't like being active, being positive, or helping people than this will be a hard place to work.

I'm sure more vacation is on everyone's wish list- with retail it is important to be Abe to get away and recharge.

Relatively fun environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Menards full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always learning something new, descent pay for what you do, pretty good opportunities if you are willing to relocate

Cons

high stress, not enough time to do things, amount of freight is ridiculous, customer service suffers, benefits were awful!!!

allow for more payroll so more people can be helping customers and putting stock away, better insurance benefits the cost is way to high, more incentives for going above and beyond, stop making people have to move states for a little promotion, good people are leaving because of this requirement

Cheap Products, Bad management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Bridgeview, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bridgeview, IL

I worked at Menards part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros were just being able to have a job. Menards will just about hire anybody, and they have a high turnover rate, so jobs are always available.

Cons

The pay was not worth the demands they placed on you. They demand the utmost excellence from part time people. You will either work many hours or almost none depending on the season. Its a nice job if your a person that does not care about your job. Any one that is of value, they tend to squeeze anything out of you that they can. They want you to be expert salesmen with wolf like senses sniffing out the cash in peoples wallets , while at the same time driving you to be the fastest stocker you can be. I can understand striving for excellence, but if you want people to go beyond excellence and keep demanding more without compensation, then your going to get what you get.

Focus on one thing or the other with your associates. You cant have them deliver super customer service while at the same time being super stockers. It just does not balance right.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!