Menards

Menards Reviews

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.1

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.
John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Employees who work over 1,000 hours in a year get an IPS bonus (instant profit sharing) (in 115 reviews)

• Flexible hours, very easy to move up, decent pay with scheduled raises and bonuses (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours standing by a cashier could be stressful during peak season (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance - your life is Menards (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Parts of the job were great but....

I worked at Menards

Pros

The pay was good. Most of my money was made by working overtime or in end of year bonuses. I traveled to stores all over the country and flew there on private company jets. The company had an unlimited budget for training and development. Strong culture. This is a great company to start out at. If you want to move up quickly in an organization, this is the place.

Cons

If you are able to completely commit your life to the company, you'll do great. Don't expect a life outside of work. 55-65 hours/week. No PTO. No sick time. 5 vacation days/year for the first 4 years. I had to use vacation days when I had pneumonia. Burnout came quickly. The company has so much potential but with an outdated culture of "all work and no play," I just couldn't make it work for me.

Create a culture that allows your people to have a work-life balance. If you don't, they'll find a company who will.

Long hours, hard work, stringent rules.

Former Employee - Full Time Team Member in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Full Time Team Member in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Menards

Pros

The guests (aka: customers) are typically great. The fellow teammates are also fun to work with.

Cons

There seems to be a "fly by the seat of your pants" approch from the corporate headquarters. They use archaic methods in retail that seems to be holding them back from growing further.

Packing up Christmas merchandise year after year is ridiculous. The fact we have to hang onto Christmas napkins because you refuse to mark them down past 50% wastes retail space.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Menards part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profit sharing grows with your years with the company.

Cons

Pay wasn't the best unless your a manager. Even then you work 50+ hours a week

Very Structured. Great place to begin your career

I have been working at Menards

Pros

The people you work with are amazing.

Cons

very, very low hourly pay. A LARGE portion of annual compensation comes 2-3 times per year in form of position bonus and profit sharing check in February

You have to put in a lot of overtime to make a decent wage.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Menards

Pros

If you take advantage of the opportunities, and are willing to do whatever is requested of you, you can move up.

10% discount on purchases, limited by weekly pay amount.

Cons

Long hours, short staffed departments, poor benefits,

Don't constantly micro-manage. Let Managers manage their departments. Don't manage by negative feedback and discipline only. Positive feedback would go a long way to improve teamwork.

Cashier

I have been working at Menards part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly team, friendly managers, flexible with school schedule, pay every week, extra $ 2.50 on the weekends, profit sharing, you get gifts sent home for birthdays, Christmas, etc, and you get an in store credit around Christmas time.

Cons

You get written up for every little mistake you make.

Great Experience but no work/life balance.

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Menards full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They will give you a ton of responsibility and ownership of you work. It's a great place to get experience if you don't have any, its a sink or swim mentality though with little training so make sure your up to it!

Cons

You basically will have no life except for Menards, you'll work a lot of Saturdays and do a ton of traveling to the stores. There is mandatory overtime and that is really the only reason you are making decent money. The hourly salary is very low. Also the higher you go the more mandatory hours you have to work.. Also you get very little vacation time.

Give your employees some vacation and work life balance.

I was a down stocker, and it was OK. Typical retail job.

Former Employee - Downstocker
    Former Employee - Downstocker

I worked at Menards

Pros

Developed peroneal tendonitis, management was very accommodating. It was a typical part time retail job. My ankle wouldn't heal unless I quit, so I quit!

Cons

Had to be on my feet all day, which wouldn't be that bad except I developed tendonitis in my ankle.

They don't care about theh cashiers

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Menards

Pros

Honesty the only pros are the extra weekend pay.

Cons

The scheduling is inconsistent. Try don't take not of availability. They call cashiers in consistently because they can't keep anyone for more than a few months. The Christmas 'bonus' is in store credit because it's a tax write-off. You close at 10 one night and open the net day at 6:30. The point system is ridiculous. You are written up for everything. And if you're late 6 minutes in 3 days you rack up enough points to be suspended or fired.

Actually care about the emotes and fix things. Don't promise a job to someone and go and give the position to the person who throws a fit that it's veing taken from them.

Slip-Sliding Away

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Menards (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Good pay for retail!
    *Weekend Differential
    *Employee discount
    *Holiday gifts (some of them are really nice! Some are junk, though)
    *Profit Sharing that snowballs
    *Offers full time positions

Cons

*Used to be a safe workplace--now they just want to get more product in. Heavy stuff under pallet racking = unsafe for employees AND guests.
    *More variety = not enough product on the shelf to complete a project--guests are angry.
    *Product used to be quality. It's not anymore. Decrease quality = angry guests & bargain shoppers (lower quality clientele)
    *GO (corporate) keeps cutting payroll, but bringing in more product, doing new plan-o-grams, etc--same or more work with less staff--guests are getting angry.
    *The website has never worked right, but they keep fixing the GUI while never fixing the problems!
    *They're trying to do this order-on-the-web-pick-up-at-the-store thing, but it's like trying to sell from another store--what if a guest already has that product in the cart? The website shows counts and guests come in/buy based on those counts which aren't always right--and guests are getting mad.
    *Guests repeatedly complain about the size of the stores, the lack of handicap consideration, being sent to other stores or being asked to wait for special order/prepaid options due to lack of product, and too much variety. Yes, they are complaining about having too many choices--which makes perfect sense if you study marketing.
    *They call their customers "guests". This was clever once, but how long would a person be a guest in your home if they trashed it and spoke rudely to you?

All of the above bullet points could be summed up in one sentence: You have to deal with angry customers all day due to corporate policies you don't agree with and have no control over. Oh, and the benefits are terrible. Insurance is expensive and covers almost nothing. I used to be Menards biggest fan. But, they used to carry quality items, too. And, the environment used to be a safe place to work. It isn't any longer.

Are you seeing a pattern? Guests are increasingly angry with corporate policy. They don't like the lack of quality in our products, they aren't thrilled with being sent all over town (or across several towns) to obtain enough product to complete their projects and they're frustrated with the size of the stores and the abundance of choices (again, while lacking the actual amount they need to complete their projects). It feels like almost 50% of our items are on clearance at times--and then the guest really can't get enough to complete their projects.