Menards

www.menards.com

Menards Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.

John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing (in 93 reviews)

• Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - your life is Menards (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the worst place to work but it's a typical retail setting.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsYou get to meet a lot of different kinds of people. In a retail setting it's bound to happen but some of my closest friends I have met while working for the company.

ConsYou can kiss your life goodbye if you are full time or management. Make sure you are able to plan life around the store. Pay isn't that great for managers either.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that not everyone is able to eat, drink, and breathe Menards.

Been here for two years and still have nothing bad to say.

Cleaning Operator (Current Employee) Cape Girardeau, MO

ProsGreat people, competitive wages, and a higher standard for hiring people compared to other retail jobs I've had. As far as the retail scene goes Menards is a good place to work!

ConsSometimes you have to deal with crazy, upset, and hot headed customers, but that comes with any job working with the public.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't speak for all the Menards managers, but the ones I've worked with have genuinely impressed me with how hard working, yet easy going they are. They're good with the public and employees both, I've no advice other than keep doing what you're doing.

Unprofessional, contemptuous management. Menards seems to have utter disdain for their employees.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Marquette, MI

ProsPay better than most retail, especially weekends.

ConsAnti-employee culture. They actually start staff meetings with "Any one of you can be replaced." They even complain about bathroom breaks. One night, non-management staff was forced to stay after closing for the purpose of cleaning the garden center. They gave everyone brooms and told us to stay and clean until released. Within minutes, we raised a toxic, choking, no-visibility dust cloud of dirt, sand, fertilizer, insecticide, and who knows what else. (Plus, they had a forklift driver driving around the sweepers.) Kids were sneezing, weezing, and coughing. Much of the material was swept into the drains and the rest was dumped outside. This is also, definitely NOT a Green company.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo hopeless to understand good advice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been good for me

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsDepending on your background, the sky could be the only limit.

ConsIt could take you a long time to get there.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Head Cashier

Head Cashier (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsEasy to promote, instant profit-sharing, and paid weekly with higher pay rate on weekends.

ConsSome aren't professional and bring problems to work. If you do your job and stay out of any drama, its a great opportunity to gain experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improving areas where team members lack

Very informative; learned a lot

Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA great place to work. They pay well for retail. You never have to worry about being bored; there's always something to do. Also, great chances for advancement within the company.

ConsThe hours are not the best. Especially if u move up into management. More responsibility and longer hours. You could be working up to 50+ hours a week instead of 40 as a full time team member.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the deparent and assistant managers within the store. If it wasn't for them, you would not be as successful.

Large company with many opportunities

Department Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosok beginner position. Mostly good people to work with.

ConsPoor pay. Management couldn't care less about workers.

Will put in a lot of hours and make money but no time for outside of work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBonus's and varied job duties

ConsRetail! No respect for family.

Works enough.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsWeekend,Holiday,IPS. Went through the Manager Trainee program. Was told I would get 5 days paid vacation upon completion, then they changed the policy 3/4 the way through that only DEGREED MT's get the vacation day. Store management did not even try to question executives as to why I didn't get the day.

ConsMust work 1yr before you can get vacation(manager or not). Go above and beyond then that's all they expect from you. Treat you like crap and store management doesn't take ownership of decisions they forced you into.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet Dept. Manager run their department!

Building Matterials

ProsVery friendly team members and leadership

Cons10% discounts and nothing much else.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!