Menards Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.
John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing (in 93 reviews)

• Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - your life is Menards (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Working front end was not nearly as great as working sales in paint.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Menards part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I worked in sales, I had a great boss, and great coworkers. The company itself, had profit-sharing and lots of sales contests that were fun.

Cons

When I worked in the Front End, coworkers slacked off, which left me with more work. They could get away with this cause they were buddy buddy with the managers.

Awesome team members

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Menards part-time for less than a year

Pros

Interact with people, People I work with are fun and enjoyable to be around

Cons

some long hours, standing for LONG hours on concrete flooring

Not bad.

Former Employee - Sales Team Member  in  Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Richfield, MN

I worked at Menards part-time for less than a year

Pros

you get some decent pay
    The hours are pretty flexible
    You meet some really good people
    The locations can be convenient.

Cons

Not so many hours when it's not busy.
    They will cut you from 25 hours a week to 12 hours a week.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Brooklyn Park, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time for less than a year

Pros

$2.50 incentive on weekends, flexible schedules, great first job

Cons

Not any cons right now

Unless experienced, little pay involved

Former Employee - Morning Stocker Menards  in  Montgomery, IL
    Former Employee - Morning Stocker Menards in Montgomery, IL

I worked at Menards part-time for less than a year

Pros

profit sharing and thats it

Cons

low wages, hard labor, small amount of hours

Resign

everyone here is overworked, negative environment, verbally abusive, demoted or fired for stupid reasons

Former Employee - Corparate  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Corparate in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Menards full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Profit sharing
    Coworkers
    10% discount on stuff at stores

Cons

Worst job of my life. moved from dept manager to corporate. Bad move. Not worth the money for the stress. Have recently lost lots of people at headquarters . Most everyone here hates there job and is trying to get out. Constantly put down by upper management i kid you not, you will be called f***ing stupid, told you will be demoted to secretaries, car washers or send to distribution center to drive fork lifts. Try to keep you there by holding 30% of your money. You think it will get better but it doesn't. No loyalty to employees. Managers was fired because they sold took much during a sale. Constant paranoia about being fired so people become backstabbers so they don't get fired.

Stop treating people like crap. You tell us you can get rid of us, fine. Workers feel same way about you and just will leave.

Assistant Department Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager

I worked at Menards full-time for more than a year

Pros

Started as a management trainee. Going around five dept. and learning processes were good. Work as a manager if you can work many hours. If you seemed to be knowing well and doing your job well, and if it is a good timing, you can move up fast. Most team members/people in retail industry are great. If you respect them, they will respect you. They truly work hard. Menards are expanding.

Cons

Felt like the profit sharing (once a year) and bonuses (can be taken away) were carrots dangling in front of a donkey that has to work constantly in exhaustion. Managers' schedules were pretty much set (can be very tiresome). Bureaucratic/Old style management. Some HRs are not so helpful/informative. Constantly controlling. Wrong idea about the true meaning of "delegation." Harsh point system (10 points, you are out)--I was good at showing up in time though. High turnover rate throughout the company. Can be demoted easily. Thought it wasn't worth investing my life (literally), so I am taking a different path.

Have the upper management take certain management and communication courses to learn Today's effective management style. Have a system to collect employees' suggestion and opinion. Set up a system for one of the Menard's value "Innovation"--it seems like a decorating word at this point. Stop focusing on blaming--needs major cultural change starting from the upper management, need to focus on improving work process with better computer system (refund/transfer fund on customized items) and better tools (too many heavy lifting without any help).

Department manager

I worked at Menards full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yearly bonus profit sharing check.

Cons

The amount of work they put on you when your main focus should be customer service. But you can't because you're putting stock away or fixing a display because the management that wants you to help customers now wants you to fix a display. Or do out of stocks. Who knows what they'll randomly come up with. Poor benefits offered as well.

Figure out how to manage.

Long hours, Low Pay.

Former Employee - Second Assistant Hardware Manager  in  Oakdale, MN
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Hardware Manager in Oakdale, MN

I worked at Menards full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get paind an extra $2.50 an hour on the weekend and there is yearly profit sharing. There is also a 50 cent bump for drving a forklift as well. Menards will also send you cheap made from China gifts in the mail for EVERY holiday. For Easter we got sun tan loation samples. There is also a culture within the company to promote its managers from within.

Cons

If the store wasn't making payroll managers would be forced to work 6 days a week. As an asst. dept manager I was working 45-50 hours a week. Many days I would be working til close than opening the store the next day. The company overworks their people. It would take 6 plus years to get into the corporate level. The culture and management place too large of an emphasis on sales and not enough attention is paid to the customers.

As a college graduate I only made 29k last year and that was working 45-50 hours a week. (Hardly enough to live on with student loans). We were constantly being micro-managed from the other managers in the store. I had 4 bosses telling me 4 different things.

Also, you can't think for yourself and make your own decisions. Everything needs approval from HDQ 's. If you do something new and unexpected you will told to follow the plan. The Plan-O-Grams rarely make sense and most of the time you don't have the product to fill the shelf.

I was "volunteered" several times to work store remodels that would take several weeks or months depending on the situation. That will happen when the GM is pressured to come up with their required number of "volunteers" per store for the project.

Don't be afraid to let others think outside of the box. Also, put more of an emphasis on the guest and not on payroll to sales per week.

Don't give 2-weeks notice

Former Employee - Manager Trainee
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee

I worked at Menards full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers were fun and had a decent amount of freedom around the store.

Cons

Was fired and escorted out because I had given 2 weeks notice.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!