Mental Health Cooperative Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
23 reviews filtered by
2.8
CEO

Working for Mental Health Cooperative as a Case Manager has given me invaluable experience.

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Vacation Time
    Population of Consumers
    Team Oriented

Cons

Not enough pay for the work you do
    The stats that you have to meet take away from the quality of the job.

Advice to Management

Consider the case managers more when changing policies.

2. Case Manager

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They will hire right out of college. Granted, part of this is because of the high turnover rate. Your team members are great and the only way you can stay sane. There have been and are some amazing case managers who really care about what they do, but they are quickly overworked and under appreciated which leads them to seek other opportunities.

Cons

where to begin...
    -Salary. They expect you to live and work in Nashville for 24,500 a year BEFORE taxes. Good luck with that. Better hope you don't have any student loans. While you get reimbursed for mileage, it's only 0.47/mile and you get penalized for too many attempts. Also, annual raises are only 3-5%. Considering how much case managers bring in to the company in profits, you think they would offer a livable salary.
    -Miss your stats by 1? Too bad, you will probably get written up. Write ups stay on your record for a year.
    -Incompent management. Half of the supervisors sit around in each other's office chatting most of the day. One particular supervisor chats about personal matters very loudly for all to hear. Qualified people are overlooked for jobs and given to less qualified people.
    -High turnover rate. Company isn't doing much to change this.
    -High caseloads=low quality care=more money for the company.
    -No quarterly bonus anymore. They did away with this at the beginning of the year with a stats change.

Advice to Management

Clean house on upper management. Pay your case managers a salary that they can live on in Nashville. Cap caseloads at 40 in order to provide quality care for your consumers.

Great experience, but difficult organization to work for.

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pays better than most case management jobs.
    Decent benefits.
    Lots of PTO.
    Will hire right out of college.
    Mileage reimbursement.
    Good experience for resume.

Cons

-Under-qualified supervisors.
    -Case managers' evaluations of their supervisors ARE NOT taken seriously. One supervisor was promoted after receiving scathing reviews from their team.
    -Stats driven. Stats driven. Stats driven.
    -Human resources dept. is unapproachable.
    -High turnover in most departments.
    -The agency seems to have embraced that they have a high turnover rate because they do nothing to try to improve this.
    -Poor reputation as employer in local mental health community
    -work/life balance is very difficult

Advice to Management

Your case managers are the foundation of your organization, take better care of them.
    Train your supervisors better and monitor them better.

5. Mcdonald's case management

Former Employee - Case Manager in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gained experience in the mental health field

Cons

MHC is the stereotypical Mcdonalds case management. Get in and out as quickly as possible because you have to see 10 more people that day to meet your daily quota of visits. They determine how many times you must see a consumer based on which insurance they have. More visits for the insurance that pays per visit!! Management is out of touch with reality and many of them could not meet the insane quota of visits that they push onto their employees.

Advice to Management

Remove entire focus of productivity standards away from stats. Stop focusing on quantity and focus on quality.

6. Child/adolescent case manager

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great entry level position for social workers and people wanting to work with individuals living with mental illness

- Flexible work schedule

- Rewarding field

Cons

- Maintaining stats
    - starting salary

Advice to Management

Less focus on stats

Good benefits, some opportunities for growth. Executive leadership team is getting in the way of companies success.

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great frontline staff. Benefits can't be beat.

Cons

A lot of turmoil and change right now.

Good starting job, no where to go from there.

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Autonomy and freedom to complete the job on your own terms. Great place to get introduced to area resources and the mental health field. Easy to take PTO when needed.

Cons

Low pay. No room to advance. If not at Metro Center office there is really no where to advance. High stress. Expected to work after hours. Health benefits not great. Upper management doesn't know what is happening with employees. Focus is on numbers and stats instead of supporting employees or consumers.

Advice to Management

Better pay. Better health insurance. Clear career paths for mobility within. Less focus on numbers and more focus on quality service. Reward performance accordingly.

Dec 4, 2014Human Resource Director

Your feedback is important to us. Many positive changes are taking place as we are responding to employee concerns.

It needs to improve and protect its employees

I worked at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My direct supervisor was approachable
    The team leader was open to ideas of the team

Cons

The bureaucracy is awful
    HR seems no to care about employees
    Lunch room and bathrooms are filthy
    Consumers will pee in the break room and will always be allowed to continue roaming the place
    One does not feel safe because consumer could and have turned violent on the premises
    Huge turn over

Advice to Management

Please build a better work environment for employees to feel safe

Oct 15, 2014Human Resource Director

Your comments are very much appreciated and taken seriously. Due to Glassdoor being anonymous; we welcome you to contact Mental Health Cooperative at (HRReviews@mhc-tn.org) for more valuable input ... More

10. Great company with a fantastic mission

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is obvious that this company truly cares about its employees. There are several different areas of the company, not simply case management. It is worth looking into a career here if you are dedicated, compassionate, and energetic.

Cons

This job is a challenging and you definitely have to put in your hours and heart. The compensation is somewhat lacking at the beginning from a case management perspective. From the clinic side, however, it is fair compensation. They have a great retirement plan and bonuses occur annually.

Dec 4, 2014Human Resource Director

We thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. The Mental Health Cooperative is growing and we never want to lose focus on the people who make us great – YOU the employees.

11. Great Company with Great Benefits - Caring from the Top to the Bottom!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been an employee at MHC Nashville for approximately 10 months, I can tell you that the CEO and Directors are clearly visible and accessible to all their employees. They genuinely care about their employees and consumers with all they have. Their benefits are the best I have seen and the growth both personally and professionally are only hampered by the individual. One should "Grow where they're planted" versus hopping around and looking for greener grass. Everywhere has their challenges, that is why it is a job and not a vacation. Is this place for everyone, "NO", But if you commit to what you love to do...you will do AWESOME! We help people who needed help the most, and it definitely humbles me to know, that as bad as life gets...we don't have the challenges like our consumers.

Cons

You have to be committed. You have to realize this is not college, this is a job. Can it be stressful - yes, can it be rewarding, yes...does the company have expectations - yes. It is easy to look at "ANYTHING" and pick it apart with negatives...but I challenge everyone - look and live the positive. Don't chase the money...the money will come. Chase the dream and remember the reason you went into this field...the consumers love you for it!

Advice to Management

Management has a hard task to balance the day to day needs of employees, vendors, consumers etc... they do an awesome job! The benefits you give us are awesome...I should know....I came from a place with ZERO benefits. It's not a given.......so I for one, appreciate all you give us. I appreciate the tools you give us to succeed. You are quick to respond to the needs for us to do our job as long as it makes good business sense, its available. Thank you!!!