Mental Health Cooperative

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fulfilling place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAn employee at MHC in Nashville for three years, I appreciated the family-like atmosphere and found the work very fulfilling. I was paid well for my position and experience. As part of this larger organization, I was always proud of the results we achieved in the community. We were helping people who needed help the most, and to be part of that process was rewarding.

ConsI was very happy at MHC and only left because my family was relocating.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management does a great job of balancing fiscal responsibility and offering employees attractive compensation and benefits. I would advise the management team to continue with that practice.

Impressive Leadership

Advisor (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsThe Mental Health Cooperative is led by dedicated professionals who are committed to doing what's right for the employees and the people they serve in the community. Their mission is to help people with mental illness, many of whom are indigent. It's an extremely challenging job, and not everyone is cut out this kind of work. However, the rewards of seeing how someone's life has been positively changed far outweighs the challenges. I've advised many nonprofit groups over the years, and the Mental Health Cooperative is the most responsible and committed organization I've had the privilege to know.

ConsThe work is very challenging, and not everyone is suited for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on.

Working at MHC has been the most stressful job I have ever worked.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsDecent time off. There really aren't any pros that I can come up with about this place. Everyone is unhappy.

ConsHalf of the therapists don't do their jobs. Focus is more on making money than patient care. Management micromanages case managers. Supervisors sit in each other's offices chatting half the day. CM's have to work 50-55 hours a week to fulfill requirements but only get paid for 37.5. Bonus is hard to get when you have a high case load. Many case managers have 50-65 consumers on their case load. The receptionists make as much as case managers. Everyone is over worked, stressed, and under appreciated. Pay is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on patient care than money. Pay your case managers about $10,000 more a year. $24,500 isn't enough to live on in Nashville, TN, especially considering what all CMs have to do. CM's bring in a lot of money to the company, yet looking at paychecks, you wouldn't be able to tell.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a disappointment

Office Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGreat benefits package. paid time off

ConsLow pay, employees are not valued by management, unfair treatment of employees, unethical practices when reporting to Tenn Care

Advice to Senior ManagementMHC has some of the most dedicated employees in the world in my opinion. Employees are over worked, underpaid and under valued. Perhaps your turn around would not be so high if you treated your employees as people and not slaves.

Little pay and not what you think -

Chattanooga, TN

ProsI cannot think of any pros at this time besides the fact that it is a job and that is about it.

ConsThe pay is very small almost insulting for someone who has a bachelors degree. I would not recommend this place as a starting point for your career because it does not offer growth or room to or anything else. The pay they offer is 24,000yr and it does not make up for the case loads I do not see how anyone can survive off of that unless you are single and have plenty help or a second job if you can fit that into your full-time or more schedule. Horrible place to start.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more! You want quality workers you must pay more at least enough that the case workers feel respected or valued. Fix the hiring process some of the hiring managers do not seem to understand that a bachelors degree is worth more than 24k//yr so quit acting like it is a masters level position when a high school grad can do this no problem.

Great Workplace!

Nashville, TN

ProsThe company is very pro-employee and supports incentives to grow in your trade and education. They also have a high standard of benefits and believe in annual 3% (at least) increases to salaries.

ConsVery large and growing organization that can make the increase in work difficult to keep up with. It's also an industry, mental health, that brings challenging stories and situations in general.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

MHC does not care about their case managers or their clients

ProsWorking with and for people in need is rewarding

ConsThe culture at MHC is terrible. Management prioritizes profit at the expense of their employees and their clients. Case managers are overworked, and their work is not appreciated. The demands placed on case managers require 50-55 hour work weeks, while leadership barely even does their job, never works late, and pushes many of their own tasks back onto case managers. Leadership mocks clients and does not seem to understand the concept of recovery-focused language. Most of the case managers are burnt out and the office environment is laughably depressing. This company is always hiring for a reason, and it's not because it is growing or adding new positions. MHC burns through employees like crazy, and if you decide to work here, odds are you'll be another one who is used, abused, and discarded.

Just terrible

Clarksville, TN

Proswill hire college grads with no experience

ConsAs a case manager, you are not valued at all. Incompetent and out of touch management. All the management really cares about is money and numbers. Makes fun of clients behind their backs all the time. The stats are so impossible to meet they can't keep case managers which cause our caseloads to be very high all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to motivate your case managers.

exhausting

Columbia, TN

ProsWorking with a diverse population
    practicing basic mental health and helping skills
    opportunities to interact with other mental health professionals

ConsWhen I took a position with MHC I was interested in helping people with serious, persistent, mental health needs. I have watched as my job description has changed from helping the mentally ill to the McDonalds' school of mental health services: get in and out quickly with little service provided. The focus is not on quality of service but quantity of visits per day.

Since the start of my employment at MHC the caseload requirements have doubled, initially at 30 - 35 and presently a maximum of 60. All incentives have been removed, and there have been no changes in salary.

The job requirements continue to grow and change daily, switching from 2 visits a month to weekly or in some cases bi-weekly visitation requirements. Case management is the largest portion of this company, but has the least voice in making changes.

Management input is rarely helpful. Monthly supervisions are not prioritized. Little support or constructive criticism is ever offered. There is no opportunity to further your skills in any area: mental health, consumer interaction or documentation. No work time is allotted to complete trainings. Any trainings you do receive are online.

Upper management only makes its presence felt in a negative context, such as pending a termination or staff discipline. Management types are often out of touch. This has a very powerful effect on staff morale.

I will leave this company with an excellent working record. I voice my concerns to ward off any serious professionals interested in career advancement or truly valuable social work. This is an outreach program that is struggling to complete its mission.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease screening of potential managers
    require management experience
    More upper management time spent at satellite offices

Constantly changing and never for the better

Nashville, TN

ProsI love my co-workers and my consumers. I enjoy feeling as though I am making a difference, but this is hard to do when our work is not consumer-focused. I love the flexibility of the job.

ConsThere are many downsides to this job. For starters, the job has been changing constantly since I began working there. These are not little changes. It's things such as every case manager having to get rid of almost everyone on their caseload and get a brand new caseload, stats changing from having to do 2 visits per consumer a month (around 70 to 80 contacts) to 100 contacts a month, and caseloads changing from 35-40 consumers per case manager to 50-60 consumers per case manager (which makes it almost impossible to have enough time to give quality case management). Not to mention the turnover rate. Six people were fired in about 6 months, and I believe around 11 have quit in the past 4 months. You would think that upper mangement would recognize that something is going wrong and would have a desire to make a better workplace. Just as the other reviewer said, taking time off is ridiculously hard. I had 6 days off last month because of the already built in holidays they gave us, plus time I asked off for, and an unexpected medical issue. Even then, I still had to meet my contacts for the month, which made me extremely stressed. I don't think that having to see 10 consumers a day just to meet our stats is what is best for our consumers...Even during a good month, we have no leeway and must see no less than 5 consumers a day. This is not too hard unless you have a consumer that goes into crisis, a court hearing to attend, a school meeting, etc. Then you might just see 1 to 2 kids that day and need to see 8 to 9 the next to make up for it. Morale is very low and everyone is extremely stressed, making for a particularly stressful work environment. Oh yeah, and supervisors are all trying to be the best supervisor with no regard as to how this affects their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough you instruct us to teach our consumers good self-care, you seem to have disregarded your employees' needs for the same. Please allow your employees to have time off without having to worry about whether they will be fired when they get back because they couldn't meet their requirements that month or are scared that they won't. Hire more people! This job is impossible to do when our caseloads are so high. Make smaller caseloads and put the emphasis back on the consumer. Isn't that what we're supposed to care about the most?

Worked for Mental Health Cooperative? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mental Health Cooperative reviews and ratings. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Mental Health Cooperative employees.