Mental Health Cooperative

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.7

CEO

Good benefits, some opportunities for growth. Executive leadership team is getting in the way of companies success.

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great frontline staff. Benefits can't be beat.

Cons

A lot of turmoil and change right now.

It needs to improve and protect its employees

I worked at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My direct supervisor was approachable
    The team leader was open to ideas of the team

Cons

The bureaucracy is awful
    HR seems no to care about employees
    Lunch room and bathrooms are filthy
    Consumers will pee in the break room and will always be allowed to continue roaming the place
    One does not feel safe because consumer could and have turned violent on the premises
    Huge turn over

Please build a better work environment for employees to feel safe

Oct 15, 2014Human Resource Director

Your comments are very much appreciated and taken seriously. Due to Glassdoor being anonymous; we welcome you to contact Mental Health Cooperative at (HRReviews@mhc-tn.org) for more valuable input ... More

Good starting job, no where to go from there.

Current Employee - Case Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy and freedom to complete the job on your own terms. Great place to get introduced to area resources and the mental health field. Easy to take PTO when needed.

Cons

Low pay. No room to advance. If not at Metro Center office there is really no where to advance. High stress. Expected to work after hours. Health benefits not great. Upper management doesn't know what is happening with employees. Focus is on numbers and stats instead of supporting employees or consumers.

Better pay. Better health insurance. Clear career paths for mobility within. Less focus on numbers and more focus on quality service. Reward performance accordingly.

Dec 4, 2014Human Resource Director

Your feedback is important to us. Many positive changes are taking place as we are responding to employee concerns.

Great company with a fantastic mission

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is obvious that this company truly cares about its employees. There are several different areas of the company, not simply case management. It is worth looking into a career here if you are dedicated, compassionate, and energetic.

Cons

This job is a challenging and you definitely have to put in your hours and heart. The compensation is somewhat lacking at the beginning from a case management perspective. From the clinic side, however, it is fair compensation. They have a great retirement plan and bonuses occur annually.

Dec 4, 2014Human Resource Director

We thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. The Mental Health Cooperative is growing and we never want to lose focus on the people who make us great – YOU the employees.

Worst 3 years of my life

Former Employee - Case Manager in Columbia, TN
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Columbia, TN

I worked at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid.... yea that's about it

Cons

Incredibly unrealistic stats to meet every month; Health insurance is a joke (high deductible health plan); PTO is a joke, you are still required to meet your required number of visits each month; No supervisor fights for their employees; Case managers are not valued and hardly last longer than 6 months; Completely stats driven; Constantly high caseloads due to constantly high turnover rate; no room for advancement; incredibly low morale. I have worked at the Columbia and Murfreesboro office, and it doesn't matter which office you're at, everyone hates this job! Supervisors won't fight for you because it's a "me or you" mentality. All about the money. More visits, more money. This is not supposed to be how mental health services are provided.

Value your case managers instead of using them up and discarding them as soon as they stop meeting their stats

Oct 15, 2014Human Resource Director

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we realize case loads may be high at times due to our increased growth in helping those in need of our services. We have recently met with case managers and case ... More

Great Company with Great Benefits - Caring from the Top to the Bottom!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been an employee at MHC Nashville for approximately 10 months, I can tell you that the CEO and Directors are clearly visible and accessible to all their employees. They genuinely care about their employees and consumers with all they have. Their benefits are the best I have seen and the growth both personally and professionally are only hampered by the individual. One should "Grow where they're planted" versus hopping around and looking for greener grass. Everywhere has their challenges, that is why it is a job and not a vacation. Is this place for everyone, "NO", But if you commit to what you love to do...you will do AWESOME! We help people who needed help the most, and it definitely humbles me to know, that as bad as life gets...we don't have the challenges like our consumers.

Cons

You have to be committed. You have to realize this is not college, this is a job. Can it be stressful - yes, can it be rewarding, yes...does the company have expectations - yes. It is easy to look at "ANYTHING" and pick it apart with negatives...but I challenge everyone - look and live the positive. Don't chase the money...the money will come. Chase the dream and remember the reason you went into this field...the consumers love you for it!

Management has a hard task to balance the day to day needs of employees, vendors, consumers etc... they do an awesome job! The benefits you give us are awesome...I should know....I came from a place with ZERO benefits. It's not a given.......so I for one, appreciate all you give us. I appreciate the tools you give us to succeed. You are quick to respond to the needs for us to do our job as long as it makes good business sense, its available. Thank you!!!

30 years from now, I'll tell my grandkids how the "worst job I ever had was at a place called Mental Health Coop."

I worked at Mental Health Cooperative

Pros

Pros? What a joke. The only positive from this job was making some friends (fellow case managers) that ACTUALLY cared about their work. A lot of people say PTO is a pro but it's pretty standard & you also have to make up the stats you missed when you took PTO which SUCKS. I guess one pro is that the turnover rate is so high and you get to meet a lot of people? Lol

Cons

Where do I start? The CEO is oblivious to the real world and has no idea what social work in 2014 is like. The leadership under the CEO walk around all day, stopping in and out of offices to talk about nonsense and sometimes inappropriate topics for a workplace setting. The supervisors of the supervisors are comically overpaid for doing absolutely no work. There is one supervisor in particular that I can think of that I saw do no actual work in my time at MHC... Instead she was on her phone all day talking about personal matters for all case managers to hear. When there was a death in the family, every case manager heard the entire story 200 times because that's all she did -- TALK about unrelated things and it was beyond annoying. Supervisors of case managers are cold and not compassionate. Except for Rick -- he's awesome. If you stick up for yourself, you get fired or written up. The pay is insulting. With MHCs salary, it'll take me 30 years to pay back my student loans. The bonus is cut in half because of taxes. I could make $3 more an hour at hobby lobby... You get the point. THEN when qualified people apply for positions they overlook them and hire people that have no business being a supervisor... Then the unqualified supervisor comes in and changes everything and runs her whole team off. And the worst part of MHC - nothing is done for the clients. It's all done to make money. They don't discharge people because they'll lose money. They make you do so many contacts, even if they're not needed, so they get the money. Nothing is medically necessary, it's all necessary to make money. It pains me to know MHC has the contract for mobile crisis when I know how things are run there -- people in crisis need help and I don't see anyone really caring about that at MHC.

Now that I work for a real company with real policies and a real mission for social work with real people that have real qualifications and a real heart for helping people, I love my job. My advice to management would be to start caring about your consumers and your employees.

Oct 15, 2014Human Resource Director

We appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns and feedback. We understand the growth of our organization comes with many challenges; which we continue to work through. Positive changes ... More

Working at MHC has been the most stressful job I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative

Pros

Decent time off. There really aren't any pros that I can come up with about this place. Everyone is unhappy.

Cons

Half of the therapists don't do their jobs. Focus is more on making money than patient care. Management micromanages case managers. Supervisors sit in each other's offices chatting half the day. CM's have to work 50-55 hours a week to fulfill requirements but only get paid for 37.5. Bonus is hard to get when you have a high case load. Many case managers have 50-65 consumers on their case load. The receptionists make as much as case managers. Everyone is over worked, stressed, and under appreciated. Pay is terrible.

Focus more on patient care than money. Pay your case managers about $10,000 more a year. $24,500 isn't enough to live on in Nashville, TN, especially considering what all CMs have to do. CM's bring in a lot of money to the company, yet looking at paychecks, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Fulfilling place to work

I worked at Mental Health Cooperative

Pros

An employee at MHC in Nashville for three years, I appreciated the family-like atmosphere and found the work very fulfilling. I was paid well for my position and experience. As part of this larger organization, I was always proud of the results we achieved in the community. We were helping people who needed help the most, and to be part of that process was rewarding.

Cons

I was very happy at MHC and only left because my family was relocating.

The management does a great job of balancing fiscal responsibility and offering employees attractive compensation and benefits. I would advise the management team to continue with that practice.

Impressive Leadership

Current Employee - Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Advisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The Mental Health Cooperative is led by dedicated professionals who are committed to doing what's right for the employees and the people they serve in the community. Their mission is to help people with mental illness, many of whom are indigent. It's an extremely challenging job, and not everyone is cut out this kind of work. However, the rewards of seeing how someone's life has been positively changed far outweighs the challenges. I've advised many nonprofit groups over the years, and the Mental Health Cooperative is the most responsible and committed organization I've had the privilege to know.

Cons

The work is very challenging, and not everyone is suited for it.

Keep on keeping on.