Mentor Graphics

Mentor Graphics Reviews in Portland, OR

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Mentor Graphics Chairman and CEO Wally Rhines

Wally Rhines

Pros
  • Keen on employees' interests and work/life balance "most of the time"(in 35 reviews)

• Good work environment for hard working engineers(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Internal politics decide your career growth or lack of it(in 12 reviews)

• Career path is not well defined(in 10 reviews)

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best place I've worked.

Marketing Communications (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsLots of responsibility and the culture is respectful of everyone in every capacity.

ConsMinimal structure, career advancement. Limited travel.

Fantastic

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsI loved the people I worked with and the pride everyone took in their work. The company really cares about their employees.

ConsThe biggest challenge was navigating all the process to get something done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your focus on the employees but look to hire more innovative people.

Great place to work

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsI got to work supporting a lot of developers who were the world experts in their specialized area.

ConsNothing about the corporate culture at Mentor prepared me for my next job in the outside world.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to promote cross-fertilization at the technical worker-bee level, like you do at the technically elite level.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice company to work at.

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsEmployee oriented work environment. No micro-management. Can work on what you want with little manager input.

ConsCareer path is kind of fixed. Hard to get internal promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider employees's desire to move up the ladder.

Great team in Corporate Marketing

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsGreat people, nice location, beautiful campus, decent compensation

Consjust that contract work ends.

Career dead end

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsFlexible working conditions, good salary, professional peers. The individual offices vs. cubicles in Wilsonville is also great...when things get noisy I can close my door and continue working.

ConsAbsolute career dead end; there is no career advancement policy, nor do any managers discuss it. It's not a part of your review.

Performance reviews are a joke. Lately managers have been saying "just put the same self evaluation as last year and change the date." Not just my manager, but many people I've talked to. Extremely de-motivating to bust your tail and get the same 3% raise as the slacker next door.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you did the employee survey several years ago, the number one issue was absence of career planning. NOTHING has been done to change that. Unfortunate as this would drive Mentor to the next level of success.

Good, encouraging but the job is not for MS engineers

Corporate Marketing Engineer (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

Prosexciting training opportunities, good management, less work pressure and stress, lots of exposure to the company, young team, entry level job so not that difficult, suited more for fresh undergraduate students, growth opportunities within the company

Consmore of a marketing job, no technical work at all, more of a telemarketer job, can be monotonous, need to meet daily phone call requirements, more people skills required than an average engineering job, no design work at all, takes 2 years to move out to a new position

A good job, not a career

Technical Marketing Engineer (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsGood salary, good benefits (but with cuts every year), nice campus (at least HQ in Wilsonville), real offices (at HQ)

ConsNo growth or training opportunities whatsoever. Most people stay in their jobs "forever" and the only growth is through acquisition, so don't expect to climb the ladder. This creates an atmosphere where even the sharpest and brightest employee eventually becomes demotivated and useless. The most clueless HR organization I have ever experienced. Most engineering positions are slowly being transferred from the US and EU to offices in Pakistan, Egypt, Armenia, etc., which means that development teams are changing from being tight-nit to distributed. Virtually no new technology development (only through acquisitions). Be aware that the product groups are VERY independent. There is no such thing as a "Mentor culture". What's true in one group may not be the case in another, so if you plan on joining, make sure you get input from someone in that particular group.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees an opportunity to stay sharp, develop new skills, and address new challenges. Be honest about long term off-shoring plans.

Great work places

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsWork/life balance is great
    Culture/values
    Cares about employees
    Nice headquarters with Gym, fields, green areas and lots of activities

ConsCareer path, not well defined, you hit a plateau after a while
    Benefits and compensation packages need to be reworked, and benefits tend to decrease with time

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on creating career path opportunities

Great place to work for

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsGood work life balance
    Nice campus

ConsLots of politics
    Weak collaboration across divisions

Worked for Mentor Graphics? Contribute to the Community!