Mentor Graphics

Mentor Graphics Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Mentor Graphics Chairman and CEO Wally Rhines

Wally Rhines

Pros
  • Keen on employees' interests and work/life balance "most of the time"(in 35 reviews)

• Good work environment for hard working engineers(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Internal politics decide your career growth or lack of it(in 12 reviews)

• Career path is not well defined(in 10 reviews)

Great colleagues... crappy upper management

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWork and life balance. Great colleagues. Family atmosphere

ConsMoved to Fremont. Shoddy upper management. Doing better now but still believe in pet projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your acts together.

Huge company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible working hours, nice co-workers and an easygoing atmosphere.

ConsReally bad self-righteous middle-management looking to make a name for themselves, lack of direction and not a lot of possibility for self-advancement i.e. challenging projects with new technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead Peopleware. Seriously, read it. Software engineers are not mindless drones that you should micromanage - not because you should be nice to your employees, but rather to get the most out of them. You are investing your money by hiring them.

The best place I've worked.

Marketing Communications (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsLots of responsibility and the culture is respectful of everyone in every capacity.

ConsMinimal structure, career advancement. Limited travel.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Director (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood management and product mix. Established player in EDA field. Stable company and decent culture. Strong products and loyal customers. Good sales force and sales methodology.

ConsEDA is a mature industry. Not really fast growing compared to other areas, like internet cloud. Some past tensions and culture clashes between acquired companies and products vs. original Mentorites. But most have been assimilated.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Tool need integrate with user

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsLayout tool is easy to use.

ConsEldo need more application examples for ADMS simulation.
    ADMS need to be bundled into a complete design package.

Fantastic

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsI loved the people I worked with and the pride everyone took in their work. The company really cares about their employees.

ConsThe biggest challenge was navigating all the process to get something done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your focus on the employees but look to hire more innovative people.

Great place to work

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsI got to work supporting a lot of developers who were the world experts in their specialized area.

ConsNothing about the corporate culture at Mentor prepared me for my next job in the outside world.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to promote cross-fertilization at the technical worker-bee level, like you do at the technically elite level.

Nice company to work at.

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsEmployee oriented work environment. No micro-management. Can work on what you want with little manager input.

ConsCareer path is kind of fixed. Hard to get internal promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider employees's desire to move up the ladder.

Family style workplace

Flow QA Intern (Current Employee)

ProsAlmost everyone there is approachable and willing to help answer questions when needed. Great place to start out a career.

ConsDeadlines were not always a priority and the top priority task would change multiple times per week. Resulting in a lot of wasted time changing back and forth.

a comfortable place to work

ProsFor employees in R&D, Mentor Graphics pays reasonable salaries, has a mixture of smart employees and average employees, provides very secure employment, and has relatively interesting projects. In short, it's a comfortable place to work, and in my personal experience, turnover is quite low. Perhaps because the company is based in rural Oregon, which is unusual for a high-tech company, the work-life balance is quite good. The first Mentor company "value" of "win ethically" is not an inaccurate description of the company's culture.

ConsThe flip side of being a comfortable place to work, is that the company is not that aggressive and in fact sometimes downright slow, and this can be a source of frustration. At times, the company can feel bureaucratic. Salaries are mid-range; Mentor does not pay top of the market, and very rarely "re-balances" teams (i.e. let low-performers go), and this ends up being reflected in the competence of the employees. Because Mentor is not that aggressive, and because EDA in general is a slow growing market, career options within Mentor are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the R&D side, there should be a lot more collaboration and cooperation between divisions and within divisions on general software development infrastructure and best practices. On revenue recognition side, why not move to a quarterly ratable model, where revenue is recognized equally in each quarter of a deal, instead of front-loading the recognition? This would fix issues with remixing where the remixed products do not get the same revenue recognition, and make the business less cyclical.

Worked for Mentor Graphics? Contribute to the Community!