Mentor Graphics Reviews

Reset
3.9
Mentor Graphics Chairman and CEO Wally Rhines
Wally Rhines

Pros
  • Keen on employees' interests and work/life balance "most of the time" (in 39 reviews)

• Employee oriented work environment (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth paths that I've seen anywhere (in 13 reviews)

• Career path is not well defined (in 11 reviews)

Great place to retire

Former Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff, Advanced Research Technology in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Mentor Graphics

Pros

Its a great place to work if you want an easy life. You dont have to work hard, your product does not have to succeed. They'll keep the project alive forever. They have a great lifestyle company.. DOnt work hard, you will get 1-5% raises each year, and 10% if you do show up.. BUt you will piss off the others, cause you will be considered a show off

Cons

Its boring work. They dont want to win. There is no equity play, since their stock has been absolutely flat and declining over the last 20 years. Besides calibre, they have no tehcnology leadership. Their PCB group is simply a gorilla by acquistion, but not via technology innovation.

Advice to Management

Start laying off the dead weight. MOve the stock SOMEWHERE..

2. My department was run like a BBQ with people in my mediocre manager's "friends & family" package on the inside.

Current Employee - Corp Marketing Analyst in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Corp Marketing Analyst in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Mentor Graphics

Pros

Nice work- life balance, great campus. Mentor has many talented engineers. The corp marketing dept is woefully backward.

Cons

The environment in my dept was like stepping back into time where small town Oregonians with little education/work credentials ran my dept as their personal fiefdom. They wasted tons of money and had no idea of professional standards and how to handle diversity (in my dept. not in the entire company.) They were also hopelessly out of date in marketing.

Advice to Management

You can do better.

Politics, Politics

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Mentor Graphics

Pros

good amount of vacation (although they reduced it) nice facilities everyone has an office good benefits pay is probably better than it should be for most people there bonuses can be good, but the process of determining them is usually "gamed" and you never have a clue what is going to happen.

Cons

tons of office politics middle managers abuse their power difficult to move around within the company underskilled workers who are full of themselves, and overly impressed by their own abilities I worked at Mentor for quite a few years, but in the last few years, things suddenly got a lot worse. The amount of office politics is just staggering, and completely shut off the ability to get work done and create products. It was all about middle management and building their little castles, and who liked whom, and who got credit for what, and whose idea things were, blah blah blah. At the end, we had managers telling others not to talk to various people on the team, belittling, insulting, and cussing out people in meetings, completely throwing out the peer review process, and doing reviews based on what they alone "thought about the person" (i.e., whether the person brown-nosed enough) etc. It's just an absolute madhouse there, I've never encountered anything quite like it (thank goodness) in my professional life.

Advice to Management

You guys need to hold your middle management accountable and quash all the office politics. You'd be surprised how many people you have there whose only interest is in self-promotion, not the company.

Try your luck, so management are very good and some very bad. If your group REORG a lot, you are in that bad luck place

Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Mentor Graphics (More than a year)

Pros

Great company if you report to right division , try your luck , some management know how to grow with the team, try avoiding division which keep REORG and under performing!

Cons

Some division management uses very bad way to motivate workers to perform, some group REORG like very quarter so workers to put constant pressure on worker on new task! Once worker are drained, they will kick them out with pip package

Advice to Management

To the Try to train middle management , don't just uses new hired worker like oem factory workerS so middle manager can get promoted after draining worker like a non-rechargeable battery

6. Awful workplace

I have been working at Mentor Graphics

Pros

Looks good on a resume when applying for jobs elsewhere

Cons

This company doesn't really care about its employees. There are managers here who are incapable in every sense of the word. It is amazing how they have managed to stay on board for as long as they have. If you are lucky, you can insulate yourself that way and earn bigger salaries every year while others do your work and barely grow. HR doesn't really address an employee's concerns. Internal politics decide your career growth or lack of it. Overall, awful place and lots of awful people.

Great for the old-boys network

Former Employee - Software Developer in Altrincham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Altrincham, England (UK)

I worked at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Semi decent company when it was Harness Design (though not without its own faults).Good IT staff, good working colleagues

Cons

No career path. HR was a joke, didn't get involved, didn't follow processes. Management no better, always nit-picking, failed to motivate staff. Cultural mentality, is "I'm great everyone else is rubbish", silly email chains to cover your back...

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, stop treating them like crap.

8. Sales

Current Employee - Education Services Representative in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Education Services Representative in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Mentor Graphics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

nice working environment, exposure to regional work

Cons

benefits not as good, compare to market, no career growth

9. Not bad, but could be improved

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mentor Graphics

Pros

You are free to do what you want with little manager input. Working conditions are good. Offices with doors, gym, daycare, lunch room and lots of free food and beer/alcohol on Fridays! Lots of diversity. You can meet a lot of people from home (India and China)

Cons

Poor feedback from management. Very political environment. Decisions are often made at a high level and not communicated clearly down the chain. Mentor relies on self managed employees to take ownership and drive initiatives for the "joy" of the job. Expect long hours little recognition.

Advice to Management

Learn about change management. Pay attention to the "Peter Principle". At Mentor people tend to be promoted to their incompetence. You need to identify and promote people that are good leaders, not not technically competent. Communication is important. Mean what you say. People notice action not just words.

10. Review of working 2 years at Mentor Graphics

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Mentor Graphics

Pros

1) Leader in the industry, so opportunity to work in leading edge technologies. 2) Relatively flat organization structure. 3) Individual offices for all employees.

Cons

1) Very hectic software release cycles. 2) Career growth opportunities seem to be few and far between. 3) Less visibility for and little acknowledgement of work done.

Advice to Management

Provide more recognition to individual contributions and acknowledge employees work periodically. Interact more with employees and use one-on-ones to collect employee feedback.

Do we carry the same DNA? Wake up Ice Age is Over!

I worked at Mentor Graphics

Pros

Friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff. There is a small charismatic minority at Mentor who wants to rock the boat and create change at Mentor. Unfortunately Mentor is a mammoth that doesn’t want to wake up. From what I have heard the US has excellent benefits, in Europe everyone has good benefits because of work protection laws. You don’t need to work for a specific company to receive good benefits.

Cons

Favouritism at Mentor Europe is as clear as crystal water. A while ago some 30-40 seasoned employees were made redundant from Mentor in Europe. During the same time at a certain department a contractor with links to the company was offered permanent role with significant increase in salary while the department halved its staff. When asking my manager for a reference letter, he responded that Mentor has as policy to never provide reference for its former employees. I have never heard of such absurdity! Just visit Linkedin and see how many former Mentor employees have received recommendations from their former colleagues. I know for sure that this statement had nothing to do with my performance since I during the same year had received recognition for exceptional performance. Bottom line, Mentor Europe is extremely unprofessional and poorly managed. Mentor Corp. Executive Team have no vision. They have been setting the same unrealistic goals for the past 10 years and they have not even been close to achieving them. On the corporate website you can read: “Mentor Graphics® is a leader in electronic design automation.” What exactly is Mentor a leader in? Is it technology? is it number of licensed users? Is it revenue? Last time I checked the financials they were number 3! Leader isn’t second or third place, it is number 1! If Mentor is the leader than what is Cadence and Synopsis? Maybe they are number 1 and 2 in the pro league while Mentor is number 1 in the amateur league. The fact that Mentor claims to be a leader while being number 3, shows that the company has no intention of changing.

Advice to Management

Rock the boat!!!! Put fresh blood in the senior ranks, people who are hungry for success and progression.

RSS Feed </> Embed