Merced County, CA Reviews

James L. Brown

1. The good the bad and the ugly about child support enforcement

Former Employee - Child Support Specialist in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Child Support Specialist in Merced, CA

I worked at Merced County, CA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the good news is that you are doing God's work. Helping families without a parent in the home financially, so that you can either reimburse the taxpayers for their AFDC/TANF dollars or to keep them out of the welfare system.

Cons

It's a stressful job. People become upset with having their wages attached, etc. Sometimes fathers do not know about their children. Sometimes we helped to create families.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are adults.

2. Warehouse Manager

I have been working at Merced County, CA part-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Pleasant. Co workers were great.

Cons

Wouldn't hire me full time. Cut my hours back to seasonal after over 10 +

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the hard working guy thats not in your circle...he has been dedicated and overlooked now for years!!!

3. Child Support Worker

I have been working at Merced County, CA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady 8-5. Good benefits. Union is solid and will back you.

Cons

Poor upper management. Poor example at top trickles down. Management plays favorites. Hard work and accomplishments do not get recognized. Have to watch your back.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

5. great

Former Employee - Bilingual Mental Health Clinician I in Los Banos, CA
    Former Employee - Bilingual Mental Health Clinician I in Los Banos, CA

I worked at Merced County, CA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

salary was excellent and provide leadership postions.

Cons

lacked training sessions for staff.

Advice to Management

hire more staff due to large case loads

Not worth the commute

I have been working at Merced County, CA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical/dental/vision benefits, union, hours are ok no room for overtime, and u get your own office

Cons

Managment favors employees, hires friends, staff are poorly trained poor boundaries with clients, lots of favoritism & Managment does not understand how to be a real manager

Advice to Management

If your hire your friends no one should be aware how close of a relationship you have with them.

7. Disappointed, disheartened, sad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merced, CA

I worked at Merced County, CA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, upward mobility opportunities in most areas.

Cons

People who have been there for several years are allowed to treat their co-workers badly.

Advice to Management

When an employee (especially one with an excellent work history) informs you that he/she is being treated badly by other staff, take it seriously, and most importantly, make it stop or terminate the ones making a hostile working environment.

8. Bait and Switch: Programmer Analyst I

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Merced, CA

I worked at Merced County, CA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits, family environment. Breaks are like a breath of fresh air walking around nice downtown homes in peaceful rural Merced, CA home to UC Merced. Near my family and rental properties. I prevailed in a near $10,000 workers compensation award against Merced County for the workplace back injury I sustained.

Cons

Salary is a third what Silicon Valley pays. Heavy politics. Why I took the job? Told I would program in .NET C sharp. On my second day, I confronted my Manager 'Why am I doing COBOL?' He told me can you at least do 2 lines of COBOL code in 6 months? I endured 2 years of the most stressful job in my life and when I handed him my 2 weeks notice he slapped my hands.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to applicants promising .NET when only COBOL work available. Don't manufacture derogatory performance reviews in retaliation for employee filing complaint with EEOC.

9. Rewarding

Former Employee - Nursing and Caregiving for In Home Hospice and Supportive Services in Merced, CA

I worked at Merced County, CA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Merced County is a very busy town as far as the need goes for home health care, they are in great need of caregivers and nurses to occomadate the need.

Cons

Its too far away from me to work there now. But as far as any really cons to the job, I have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Go mopre by the talents of the enployee to determine elegibility for work rather than being sticklers for every lil rule pertaining to the process. There should be exceptions to every rule.

Degrading, Humiliating, De-Humanizing, Dis-organized, Malevolant Management, a very disparitive work environment.

Current Employee - Social Worker I in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Social Worker I in Merced, CA

Pros

The benefits and level of pay for Merced.

Cons

The absolute lack of teamwork, lack of proper training (especially of the management staff!), the insincerity of their message to their employees, the absolute narrow vision and boot-camp management style (boot camp is not quite correct. In boot camp you strive for an esprit de corps, here it is just a way to use negative reinforcement to undermine positive, educated people by uneducated welfare mom leads and supervisors, most of whom do not have an education and DEEPLY RESENT and sabotage those of us who have worked hard to get a degree.), the total disconnect of their director Pagan (appropriate name), the focus on destruction of truly dedicated staff members and the lack of a true commitment to the people of Merced that come to us for remedies and solutions. The number of staff that are on disability demonstrates the lack of proper management.

Advice to Management

Allow an external audit to find and remedy all the problems within the HSA.

11. Great Pay at Least for Merced

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Merced, CA

Pros

Overall, the freedom to only have to work 40 hours a week at decent pay for Merced.

Cons

Still, for a programmer this pay is a pittance. Not a real chance to advance - not much professionalism.

Advice to Management

Actually read a book on programming and learn to invest in new tools even if it means talking to your newer programmers! How about this, don't be a dinosaur!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed