Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America

Arwed Niestroj

Loved it!

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter - Contract in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter - Contract in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's Mercedes-Benz, what more is there to say? Come help build the legacy and prestige!

Cons

Communication could be a bit better at times. At the end of the day, culture will be a different experience for everyone. I'd recommend that you simply be careful during your interview to make sure that you can work well with your manager and team-members.

Intern

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America

Pros

People were really great, learned a lot about German culture. Managers were very interested in our personal growth and gave us tasks that would apply more to our Majors

Cons

Pay was somewhat minimal, hierarchal structure - many people in positions above you would look down on you. Was told that its hard to get full time offer unless I had done my masters

Not an angry rant, just an honest review

Former Employee - Intern in Redford, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Redford, MI

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

There are some fantastic and intelligent people employed there who are wonderful to work with. It's great being able to say you work at MB.

Cons

My cons could go on forever:
    1 - Employees are not valued
    2 - There is no respect between the managers nor between managers and employees
    3 - No culture awareness training in an environment where at least half the employees are foreign and cultural conflicts occur often
    4 - Low payment for interns
    5 - No internship program; interns are just used to complete tasks nobody else wants to complete
    6 - There is no recognition for good work, there are no consequences for poor work
    7 - Employees are often given 2-3 additional FULL-TIME jobs without raise in pay, overtime, additional help, etc.
    8 - There is favoritism of Germans and discrimination towards Americans
    9 - There is racism
    10 - There is sexism
    11 - Very low retention rate of employees; many employees leave and/or are let go
    12 - Low moral
    13 - No career opportunities
    14 - Silo effect; no contact to headquarters

Again, this is not an angry rant. I did not leave the company angry but rather happy and I was not fired or let go. However, I would never ever work for this company again. It is a HORRIBLE, TOXIC and HOSTILE environment to work in. This is from observing how others were treated, as well as how I was treated. You will be stressed beyond what human rights are concerned. Sick leave due to stress from work is not uncommon.

BOTTOM LINE: The management is a disgrace and they do not care about anything other than their bonuses. They don't care about the company nor the employees.

Care about your people. Look at how you treat them, and each other. You're supposed to be a team. You're the role model at the company and your employees will follow your example. Hire more people if needed, and not just based on your opinion. Actually listen to what your people are saying.

Software Engineer intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Interesting projects, young energetic crowd

Cons

Slow conversion from intern to full time

Very Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redford, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redford, MI

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time

Pros

Nice coffee machine. Great brand recognition.

Cons

Very Poor Management. From president to senior managers to supervisors, they would rather jump fire to fire and blame customers or circumstances (or ignore and gloss over things) than solve real problems and hire good project manager.

Due to one manager's bad decision-making and knee-jerk reaction of President, entire location is no longer permissioned to work at home.

Why you would promote someone from Senior Manager to Director who has nothing but a track record of failure is beyond me and is great example of tone deaf management team.

Take failure seriously. Learn from it and make sure doesn't happen again. Hold yourself accountable so mistakes only happen once and avoidable ones don't happen at all. Ask, listen to, and follow-through on feedback of your engineers so that projects are successful. Stop "hoping" things will work out.

Simulation Engineer

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work with decent vehicles, daily communication with German colleagues, opportunity to visit German on regular basis

Cons

small team, not too much opportunity to

Meh

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with cool cars and new consumer technology

Cons

if you are not german, you won't go anywhere

It is about NOTHING and The BEST is out of the window

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redford, MI
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redford, MI

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Name looks good on your resume. It is however a very short term plus.
    2. You get to drive good cars for a relatively low price.
    3. Comradery between general employees. A case of unity in dealing with hegemony of the management.

Cons

1. Unbelievable and Blatant racism and discrimination at work place.
    2. No accountability for management. (corruption comes from the top!). You scratch my back and I scratch.....
    3. The Senior managers not worthy of being Senior Engineers. Zero technical and negative management skills.
    4. Few managers, busy licking the toes of the ones above them and insulting and oppressing the ones below.
    5. Managers competing with their direct reports. Height of insecurity and dishonesty, an example of which is hard to find.
    6. Success unrecognized and in some cases penalized and failure rewarded. for example.
    7. Just recently, I heard, a Senior Manager of zero track record and at best mediocre academic background and no known accomplishment at MBRDNA , out of the blue, promoted to Director position.

Stop Damagement!
    Learn the basics of good ethics and good character.
    Have shame

Lowest Paid Internship position

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Name sounds good on a resume

Cons

Getting paid $15/hr, while most of my student colleagues who were interning in other car companies got paid at least $22-25/hr.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Best work environment, flexible working hours, moderate work pressure.

Cons

Entirely automobile oriented development, not much scope on other areas.

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America Photos

Head Quarter Office
Auto Lab - SLS AMG with AMG Performance Media
Lobby with high-tech multi-touch glass displays

+ Add Photo