Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America

2.4

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America CEO Arwed Niestroj
Arwed Niestroj

Great place to work

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great facility, nice amenities, people are nice, team members are great to work with, flexible work hours.

Cons

There are other reviews that talk about management lacking or just don't care. I say pay a bit more attention. Have you noticed that we have a new CEO that has been assigned to turn the place around? We have a new HR rep that has extensive experience in the Valley, and more executives being hired that are non-German. Change does not happen over night, but it is happening.

Keep doing what you are doing. There will always be disgruntled employees no matter what you improve on. And you know who they are. Just fire them so we can all move this company ahead in peace.

I was an intern for several months

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America

Pros

-good working atmosphere (depends on team tho)
    -good learning opportunities (depends on supervisor tho)
    -there are many German employees as it's a German company
    -everybody was helpful

Cons

-rivalry among senior managers

Hard lessons learned as an intern.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Redford, MI
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Redford, MI

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The interns understood that how we were treated wasn't the end of the world, so most of us got along. We participated in lunch trips together, which helped some days pass by quicker.

-Once a potential employer sees you've worked here, you'll most likely get hired because of the name
    -They won't fire you if you're an intern, because you don't cost very much in the first place
    -Some employees were empathetic of how interns were treated

-Gym membership provided for free to the on-campus facility
    -They offered free German classes for anyone wanting to learn

Cons

At the R&D Facility, you'll come in optimistic and energetic and leave defeated and fed-up with the culture and management (or lack thereof). After two months of interning at the company, I started to really not like going to work. I had nightmares about the Senior Managers and President and rarely wanted to interact with anyone that sat more than five feet away from me. It was the worst experience I have had in a corporate setting.

-If you want coffee, you have to pay for it
    -Once you go beyond the main lobby, the facility is dark, drab and slightly depressing.. The artwork doesn't help
    -"Open Door Policy" was stated but not practiced

-No trust in the intern work capabilities and expectations
    -A lot of the Senior Managers were stuck in the past, which was reflected in their department presentations.
    -Had the work expectations and responsibilities of a salaried employee but got the pay and recognition of an intern
    -They rarely listen to you if you have valuable recommendations... unless you can say it in German

-Barely any women in the facility. Gender discrimination in everyday interactions was apparent and allowed
    -Passive aggressive employees were highly intimidating when Senior Managers were out of the office
    -Senior Manager to employee intimidation was also apparent and allowed

-They don't care about experience and work capabilities. Almost no respect could be earned for interns and employees that had true value and care about the work they produced
    -If you had a problem, the Senior Managers didn't care about solving it. They would either put a bandage on it or ignore you
    -Doesn't matter to them if employees are unhappy as long as the work was completed
    -A lot of the Senior Managers didn't support events that encourage employee to leave their desks to participate

-Learned the true meaning of "Corporate Politics" and the need to watch your back... as an intern!

Work on your office culture.

Loved it!

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter - Contract in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter - Contract in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's Mercedes-Benz, what more is there to say? Come help build the legacy and prestige!

Cons

Communication could be a bit better at times. At the end of the day, culture will be a different experience for everyone. I'd recommend that you simply be careful during your interview to make sure that you can work well with your manager and team-members.

Intern

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America

Pros

People were really great, learned a lot about German culture. Managers were very interested in our personal growth and gave us tasks that would apply more to our Majors

Cons

Pay was somewhat minimal, hierarchal structure - many people in positions above you would look down on you. Was told that its hard to get full time offer unless I had done my masters

Not an angry rant, just an honest review

Former Employee - Intern in Redford, MI

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

There are some fantastic and intelligent people employed there who are wonderful to work with. It's great being able to say you work at MB.

Cons

My cons could go on forever:
    1 - Employees are not valued
    2 - There is no respect between the managers nor between managers and employees
    3 - No culture awareness training in an environment where at least half the employees are foreign and cultural conflicts occur often
    4 - Low payment for interns
    5 - No internship program; interns are just used to complete tasks nobody else wants to complete
    6 - There is no recognition for good work, there are no consequences for poor work
    7 - Employees are often given 2-3 additional FULL-TIME jobs without raise in pay, overtime, additional help, etc.
    8 - There is favoritism of Germans and discrimination towards Americans
    9 - There is racism
    10 - There is sexism
    11 - Very low retention rate of employees; many employees leave and/or are let go
    12 - Low moral
    13 - No career opportunities
    14 - Silo effect; no contact to headquarters

Again, this is not an angry rant. I did not leave the company angry but rather happy and I was not fired or let go. However, I would never ever work for this company again. It is a HORRIBLE, TOXIC and HOSTILE environment to work in. This is from observing how others were treated, as well as how I was treated. You will be stressed beyond what human rights are concerned. Sick leave due to stress from work is not uncommon.

BOTTOM LINE: The management is a disgrace and they do not care about anything other than their bonuses. They don't care about the company nor the employees.

Care about your people. Look at how you treat them, and each other. You're supposed to be a team. You're the role model at the company and your employees will follow your example. Hire more people if needed, and not just based on your opinion. Actually listen to what your people are saying.

Software Engineer intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Interesting projects, young energetic crowd

Cons

Slow conversion from intern to full time

Very Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redford, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redford, MI

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time

Pros

Nice coffee machine. Great brand recognition.

Cons

Very Poor Management. From president to senior managers to supervisors, they would rather jump fire to fire and blame customers or circumstances (or ignore and gloss over things) than solve real problems and hire good project manager.

Due to one manager's bad decision-making and knee-jerk reaction of President, entire location is no longer permissioned to work at home.

Why you would promote someone from Senior Manager to Director who has nothing but a track record of failure is beyond me and is great example of tone deaf management team.

Take failure seriously. Learn from it and make sure doesn't happen again. Hold yourself accountable so mistakes only happen once and avoidable ones don't happen at all. Ask, listen to, and follow-through on feedback of your engineers so that projects are successful. Stop "hoping" things will work out.

Simulation Engineer

I have been working at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work with decent vehicles, daily communication with German colleagues, opportunity to visit German on regular basis

Cons

small team, not too much opportunity to

Meh

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work with cool cars and new consumer technology

Cons

if you are not german, you won't go anywhere

Mercedes-Benz Research & Development North America Photos

Head Quarter Office
Auto Lab - SLS AMG with AMG Performance Media
Lobby with high-tech multi-touch glass displays

+ Add Photo