Mercedes-Benz U.S. International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mercedes-Benz U.S. International President and CEO Markus Schaefer

Markus Schaefer

A Most Excellent Workplace!

Administrative Support (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

ProsPay is very good for the cost of living in Alabama, even compared to other OEM's nationwide. Benefits are great, 401k, 'Perfect Attendance' monthly bonus, Christmas bonus, medical clinic onsite with no co-pay and non-narcotic medicines on hand staffed with a doctor, nurse practitioner, and a nurse. There is also an onsite daycare and athletic facility as well, but there is a monthly cost to use it. There is a lease program that is cheap, but you have to supply your own tag and insurance- still an awesome deal! Discounts on new cars, if one wishes. The company has an open-door policy and management (including the dept VP and company CEO) sits with people once a month in 'Roundtables' to bring to the table any comments, concerns, or questions from the group in an open, honest forum. A week off (paid) during Christmas shutdown and a week off (1 day paid, 4 vacation) during the summer as well. Opportunity to work worldwide in other Daimer facilities as an expat, training, or business travel- depending on job capacity and needs. High performance is given, and also expected. Nobody works in a silo, so be prepared to step outside of your given role to meet a goal. High energy, not perfect but continually improving. 10.5 years and still happy! Experience is in Production as a line worker, Quality Control, and Admin Support.

ConsChange- everything changes. In the name of continuous improvement and efforts to grow, this is not a con. But prepare to be a flexible, high-performing team player with great expectations. If this is a 'pro' for you, come on and join the family! Another possible 'con' is that production rotates shifts. Production workers, maintenance workers, as well as their supervisors rotate every 2 weeks, so again- one must be flexible.

fascinating product, bad management

Planning Engineer (Former Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

Prosgood pay, good benefits, great product

Consmanagement is unreasonable and incapable

Advice to Senior Managementmake decisions based on company needs and not based on your career needs

Network Engineer

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Vance, AL

ProsDiscount on vehicles, plus a great company

ConsGermany Base Company where all the IT Designs comes from there

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

3 Term Co-op

Co-Op (Former Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

ProsGood opportunity for engineering students to get real world experience with a big name company. If you get a good supervisor you can have real opportunity to learn a great deal.

ConsCo-op program is not seen as very important to the company. Program is run by HR with little emphasis on placing students where they are a good fit. Often seemed like I was just filling a desk at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that co-op supervisors give the co-ops meaningful projects that can be put on a resume. Put more emphasis on recruiting co-ops for full time positions.

Excellent Auto Manufacturer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vance, AL

ProsOpen environment with many opportunities to be challenged. Fast-paced environment with a bright future. Opportunities for lateral movement.

ConsOpportunities for upward advancement are limited due to the lean and flat organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop the leadership teams at all levels.

Polished, Professional, with downhome charm

Engineerign Manager (Former Employee) Vance, AL

ProsPart of a large company (with the resources that beings) but with subsidiary-like independence.
    Experienced, professional management.
    Great blend of European culture, southern ethics and charm, and American industrial attitude.

ConsUpward progression is limited due to being part of the German corporation. Need for German exposure and incorporation of expatriates makes progress slow and difficult but it can happen!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your unique identity! Listen to the people on the floor.

I co-oped here for 3 semesters. I worked as a process engineer in Assembly 1, maintenance engineer in paint, and quality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vance, AL

ProsWell known, prestigious company. Looks good on the resume. I was told compared to other automotive plants, this is one of the best to work at in terms of organization and quality.

ConsLack of communication and teamwork in most departments. Engineers don't get paid as much overtime as they deserve.

Long hours with great pay and benefits working for the company that invented the automobile!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vance, AL

ProsSalary and benefits as an hourly employee are one of the highest (if not the highest) in Alabama. Successful and continuously expanding facility.

ConsHours worked under Exempt employee status are excessive for the salary. Must "donate" 5 hours a week before "addional pay" i.e. regular time instead of overtime, pay starts. H.R. creates more issues than they resolve by bending the rules to meet individual needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork within your position and allow others to do the same; practice restraint in micro-managing. Understand that developing a world class organization requires weeding-out the weak and non productive to allow room for others to grow.

No opportunity for more money or advancement

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

ProsGood Benefits and a fair vacation policy

ConsBS Reviews, BS pay raises/pay scale,

Great product, Average Job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

ProsMost employees get along great and are a pleasure to work with, the product's made are outstanding.

ConsLow opportunities for advancement, most people work in the same job for the entirety of their career.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a forum for concerns of employees

Worked for Mercedes-Benz U.S. International? Contribute to the Community!