Mercer Advisors

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
3.3

David Barton, JD

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Dental Consultant
    Former Employee - Dental Consultant

I worked at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

An investment company that truly has the client's goals and well being first and not selling the "product" of the day.

Cons

The only con I from my perspective is they eliminated the division I worked for and I can no longer work for them.

Love It

I have been working at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company with lot of upward mobility. My bosses have very high expectations and have made me a better employee for it. They offer tremendous opportunities for learning and growth. Education is paid for.

They are growing like crazy as well. There is a lot of room for upward mobility. Success and standing is merit based.

Cons

Compensation when you start is low.

Dissastisfying

I have been working at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is good they dont expect you to work much overtime
    Nice coworkers

Cons

Bad benefits- little vacation time, 1 sick day, no company match
    Boring and no career growth although the company claims to be growing rapidly

Financial Administrator

I have been working at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people all across the board! Well educated, ambitious and very helpful in sharing ideas and best practices...

Cons

not many... but growth can be difficult as most positions are already set in place... the tech to support your daily business agenda was lacking but many changes have taken place within the firm so I believe it is headed in the right direction.

Overall culture needs to be unified and reignited..

Good Place

I have been working at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diverse lets of areas learn a lot about finance

Cons

No formal training; not very good with relocation

More structure and organization

Dec 11, 2013Marketing

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you have found your time at Mercer Advisors to be a valuable and diverse learning experience. We are committed to the development and success of ... More

I loved working at Mercer and planned to retire there.

Former Employee - Practice Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Practice Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work setting, travel, highly satisfying

Cons

Travel! The company was sold in 2009 and was entirely restructured.

Coach rather than scorn

Dec 11, 2013Marketing

Thank you for leaving a review. We are happy that you found your work to be highly satisfying. Change is important to the growth of any business, and at times, this requires a complete restructuring ... More

Customer Service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good collaboration between staff. Management supportive if it serves their purposes.

Cons

Salary is minimal and no raises in sight. Expensive benefits.

Reward staff for their effort without the excuses.

Dec 11, 2013Marketing

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed a collaborative working relationship with your colleagues. We appreciate your feedback.

Good to start - Not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Mercer Advisors

Pros

Great starter job for someone fresh out of school.
    Able to have a good work life balance and enjoyed many co-workers.

Cons

Management makes short sighted decisions and the corporate culture is a disaster. You will hear the word budget on a daily basis.

Dec 11, 2013Marketing

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you have found a good work/life balance while gaining valuable work experience at Mercer Advisors. We regret to hear that you are dissatisfied ... More

Financial Associate in Atlanta, GA.

Former Employee - Financial Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mercer Advisors

Pros

Excellent entry experience for those out of college.

Cons

Bad economy effects small companies.

Keep growing to reach your full potential.

Dec 11, 2013Marketing

Thank you for your review; we greatly appreciate your feedback. At Mercer Advisors, we are committed to the development and success of our employees. We are happy to hear that you found your ... More

If you are in IT don't even bother

I worked at Mercer Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. The company puts on a good show for potential clients, but its all smoke and mirrors. Unless you are in the top echelons of the company its not a place to to stay, get the experience and leave.
    The only pro I can think of is the manager of the IT department. She knows the value of IT people and does her best to keep the crap from the executive board from sliding downhill into her team.

Cons

All the top management at Mercer are lawyers and financial types. They don't really have any idea about IT, which is what I do. So they don't value it. Even the CIO when I was there was a financial guy with ZERO tech background. If they have anyone making decisions at that company that has some sort of technology background, I never met them (and the board is small).

In their eyes, IT people, even if you are educated and experienced, are just a glorified copy machine tech

This isn't my wording, but the wording of the guy that worked there before me as I had to ask him for advice a few months into the job. I thought it was just sour grapes, but heard the same from another programmer there that left 3 months after I started as well as the programmer I would interface with in Santa Barbara. And I got the message finally as well. You are just a copy machine tech.

I really wish someone had posted about this company before I took the position or learned from the other programmers there, but I tend to be optimistic.

Specifically:
    1. You will never get a raise there as an IT person. They adhere to Samurai staffing for non critical functions which means that you work people until they get fed up and leave. And because they don't really 'get' what IT does, they are non-critical. As long as the powers that be turn on their machine and their programs work with the reports they want, they don't care. They have no clue the work hours, effort, and knowledge it takes to get everything to them at the click of a button.
    2. The executive board will make promises they can not keep nor do they have any intention of keeping. They did a 10-15% paycut across the company when the economy tanked (I hung out for 2 years after that), it was supposed to be a 6 month thing. It became permanent of course, which I could have handled if they actually had some kind of raise structure in place, but they don't. You have to fight to get one and will not get one the first few years that you demand one.
    That was why the guy previous to me left. He had to demand a raise, and at a company this size you shouldn't have to, and kept getting shot down.
    3. They will low ball you on the hire, as they did me. They probably look at sites to figure out what the low category is for the position and then offer that. The catch is that 10% of that is bonus based on performance. Since there is no metric for performance you will never see that bonus either. So they will advert the position for 75k, but 7500 of that is end of year bonus, which you will never get. So you will go in there thinking just a couple of years of work and a couple raises will see you back where you should be, but you will probably never get there.
    4. They ignore infrastructure because its not a priority. As I mentioned, the exec board doesnt have anyone that understands technology, at least I never met one. So when they see something like a 10 grand expense to upgrade the database technology, they balk. Because they don't understand. So rather than spend 10 grand upgrading, they would rather spend 25 grand in increments over the next year keeping antiquated code and technology moving along.
    There is a great deal of this at various companies but with Mercer its EXTREME. Especially given the security needs of online transaction and financial data.

And for non IT people as an example. There were a couple of admins that worked right by me. They were let go in a round of layoffs, then immediately new people were hired to do their jobs. They were not let go for performance or lack of work, they were fired (and had more time at the company that I did so at least 4-5 years each), so that the company could take advantage of government programs for new employee hiring and tax breaks associated with that. And the new people coming in were hired for less than the old employees were being paid.
    This is just business sure, but it also tells you that the company has ZERO loyalty to you as an employee even with your time there. So take it for what its worth Mercer will not invest in you but will take as much as it can from you before they let you go or you get fed up and leave

Its not enough just to put on a good dog and pony show to attract potential investors, you also have to keep your employees happy.

Doing so should mean that you treat them as you would someone who is invested (with money) in your company, BECAUSE THEY ARE.

Dec 11, 2013Marketing

We appreciate your feedback and are happy you had such a positive experience with your manager while at Mercer Advisors. We are sorry that you did not feel valued during your time here. We are ... More