Mercer

Mercer Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Mercer President & CEO Julio A. Portalatin

Julio A. Portalatin

Pros
  • Work/life balance and the best benefits ever, as well as an awesome incentive program(in 63 reviews)

• The ability to work from home when needed is a nice perq(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Period of heavy workloads / high opporunity can be a challenging for work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Could benefit from a Senior Management overhaul and restructure(in 33 reviews)

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Internal control analyst

Senior Internal Control Analyst (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsThis company has great people to work with, a great work place attitude and feel, it is located all on one floor, and has a very good cafeteria. The parking is free and plentiful. I enjoyed walking around the building at lunch, playing on the softball field and even looking out the windows into the surrounding forest all while being only a short distance from Route 128.

ConsMy commute was long but worth it at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed working for the Managers that I worked for and who were internal clients for me.

great place

Senior Job Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Proslocation is really a good one

Consthere really is nothing bad to say

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Great place to work as a temp

Participant Services Representative (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsFriendly people and a positive atmosphere for the most part, good pay for the work you do, and attentive management.

ConsPredominantly temp work, and some supervisors are less likely to provide constructive and helpful feedback in a timely manor than others. The workload can change drastically from one day to the next, and teams shift constantly, meaning that whatever progress you made with your last supervisor is effectively negated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Client Service Analyst II

Client Service Analyst II (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsJob will keep you busy every single minute. So no question of getting bored=).

ConsNo clear roadmaps and lack of promotions or advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize, reward and retain right talents.

Get in, get experience, get out

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart people, dedication to clients, lots of attention paid to young professionals who demonstrate discipline and hustle

ConsTop heavy management, risk-averse culture that inhibits innovation, people management by fear vs. inspiration

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent about pay and become market competitive. Demanding more sales and profits doesn't get it done; figure out a way to inspire. Bring back market research and white papers so that we can demonstrate the data behind our advice.

Run Away - as fast as you can

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsAs far as I could tell, there are none. High school at its worst. Purgatory at its best. Maybe the commute was not bad and you don't have to pay for parking.

ConsI wouldn't even know where to start. It's a nightmare from beginning to end. Vicious people, terrible hours, non customer friendly

Leadership is leftover from the shady Putnam days

Manager (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsIf you're lucky, you will receive your paycheck.

Cons- It's a frat house, and yes, the sorority girls have crashed the party. They can be found in Human Resources, Training, and the perennial big bird in the administration areas. And, worse yet, they have been here FOREVER. People just haven't bothered to let them go (they actually keep them here laughing as their home lives are destroyed, bodies are completely ruined and knowing, once they leave, they won't remember a thing).

- Constant change (there is nothing else to do, so they actually have meetings to see how they can "mix it up")

- The spouses of leadership are your co-workers

- You can't go to the bathroom without being questioned. It's almost like a prison, but you would have to imagine worse. And, I am sure people managing it have been released from actual prison.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign, shower, and start fresh somewhere else.

Woefully understaffed, very limited resources,

Senior Communications Consultant (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsIt's an OK place to start your career, get your credentials and transfer to a better managed company. The office location can't be beat, easy to get to, wide open parking.

ConsWoefully understaffed
    Limited resources
    No clear strategy or direction from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what your competitive advantage is and develop it further.

This job is definitly not for everyone, a lot of information to be learned is required.

Participant Services Representative (Current Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsStarting pay is better than the majority of call centers.

ConsBeing on a temp to hire contract can be daunting because you never know when your last day will be.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication with their employees would be helpful. Let them know if they will retain or release you after your 6 month contract.

Okay

Team Lead (Current Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsCulture, management, co-workers, recognition and awards, location

ConsCompensation, benefits being removed, limited growth,

Worked for Mercer? Contribute to the Community!