Mercer Health & Benefits

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.2

Daniel Percella

Pros
  • The company is very structure which is good for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Mercer provides a flexible work schedule that allow employees the ability to work from home as needed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism, high turnover and horrible management (in 3 reviews)

• The pay is low compared to other industry jobs and completely uneven between job titles (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People and work

Current Employee - Defined Benefits Analyst
    Current Employee - Defined Benefits Analyst

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

The management and people are all great, low pressure, no micro-managing, a steady flow of work with my client so I'm always busy. They will cater to your interests and try to help you develop a career path to reach your goals. I might be lucky, my direct manager is probably one of the best in the building, if not the business, but he leads by example not fear or demands. He's extremely hard working and you want to do well and work hard to impress him, not because you're afraid of being scolded for errors.

Cons

I have not been here very long, but my co-workers who are the best at their jobs have been here for a while without ever receiving a raise or promotion, while many of the more senior analysts are some of the worst at their jobs. I'm not sure if this is specific to Mercer or just an issue with corporate jobs in general, where experience is valued over raw skill, where some dimwit who's been in the field for 6 years gets better pay than truly talented individuals who have been in it for 2.

This doesn't apply to me personally, but it is one of the few things that makes the company appear poorly to me, and encourage me to keep my eyes open for other positions. Mercer needs to start rewarding talent. There's this re-occurring theme I keep hearing about, how there's this lack of talent, while some of the truly talented employees are going unrecognized and unrewarded. It doesn't reflect well on other employees when they see intelligent and competent individuals who have put hard work in and haven't been rewarded yet, while poor employees with nothing but experience are rewarded (no matter if that experience was with Mercer or not). There also seems to be an issue where over-confident employees (people who might give an incorrect answer before spending the time to find the right answer... often) are rewarded, or the employees that will complain the most. I would say don't reward the complainers, reward people curious and honest about their knowledge (over-confidence can be one of the worst burdens on a company, especially with a new client, it leads to A LOT of mistakes), and DO NOT value experience over competence.

I enjoyed working at the Mercer Health & Benefits Department despite the issues I encountered.

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was a Temp, The other Phone Reps were very helpful and supportive. The Cafe for Lunch was really good, fresh food. I kept mostly to myself, but you could definitely socialize if you wanted to. People were always chatting with each other. They have Kudos Calls, which spot lights a phone Rep when a participant asks to speak to their supervisor. There are some very hard working people there, that are dedicated to their jobs. This job is good in a temporary way, as long as you understand that your chances are slim for getting hired unless you do exceptionally well with your call stats.

Cons

If you are Temping, you have to be fast, take 60 -70 + calls a day or you will be terminated. This company is focused on the number of calls made to meet client agreements. Very clickish, only certain people seem to get promoted, it didn't seem to matter sometimes if they were really good at the work or not. You are, at the end of the day, just a number, no matter how hard you work, if you don't satisfy the matrix, they kick you out. It doesn't matter if you never miss a day and do a lot of overtime and volunteer for extra work, it's all about how many calls you crank out.

I would care more about the quality of the calls, whether the customer is being fairly and respectfully treated, making sure Agents return phone calls and provide all the correct information. Some people who are in higher positions, are negligent and do things that undermine the credibility of the company, by providing misinformation and not following through with due diligence. Messing up customers accounts, not listening to the Reps when they try to fix the mistakes. No accountability for those who have decision making power.

Great company but...

Former Employee - Health & Benefits Analyst  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Health & Benefits Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent reputation in industry - name carries a lot of respect.

Cons

Loss of employee life balance

Be open for new ideas

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits

Pros

Easy to get too. Beautiful campus. Most people were friendly but they will expect you to be slammed to an ever changing schedule.

Cons

Rude managers. Not berry good training. Hiring process is ridiculous and unnecessary. Having 20 people in a little section of the cafeteria is crazy

Good work place, nice cafe, hard to climb up if you're in the call center.

Former Employee - Participant Service Representative  in  Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Participant Service Representative in Norwood, MA

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Set schedules, occasional overtimes (for more pay), no work on weekends, parking, awesome cafe with lots of food/beverage choices, great benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Hard to advance if you work in the call center. No mentoring program to gain further work experiences for advancement.

Offer mentoring programs to employees who would like to learn new skills and advance their career with Mercer.

Take it or Leave it

Former Employee - Client Services Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Client Services Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good starting pay
    -Very friendly coworkers
    -Tons of knowledge about healthcare industry

Cons

-Rigid hierarchy
    -Tension between team members/team leads
    -No real job advancement or enrichment

Starting listening to the lowest denominator

Great, humble, smart people. Learned a lot about project management.

Current Employee - Senior Health and Benefits Analyst  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Health and Benefits Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, flex time, mentorship

Cons

Long hours if not staffed properly on client projects

Great firm to work for

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits

Pros

Good training and experienced managers. Room to grow

Cons

Limited career opportunities within benefits administration

Open the doors to consulting for you benefits administration employees and institute a mentor ship program

Full of themselves

Current Employee - Associate  in  Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Associate in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly respected consultant and employee benefit broker. At the forefront of emerging and growing market for health care insurance at the workplace and private health exchange.

Cons

Arrogant consultants, belittle insurer partners and fellow colleagues. Offers less perks than sister company Marsh, Inc. Regional and industry verticals do not respect each other. Considering they have a Talent vertical, they do not understand employee morale and retention.

Follow the Marsh, Inc. centralized leadership model and cross-functional collaboration

Bland - Senior Management Team Needs Seasoning

Former Employee - Principal
    Former Employee - Principal

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

In good sector of industry with potential to sell directly and cross-sell services. Professional environment, good training programs, and support tools.

Cons

Compensation structure was average, workload is higher than advertised and overtime is expected.

Management not in tune with industry product/service needs and pricing. They were very reactive with staffing changes each quarter and did not appear to be following a long-term plan. Lip service to staff and mid-management is very strong. Results and leadership, however, were weak.

Worked for Mercer Health & Benefits? Contribute to the Community!