Mercer Health & Benefits Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
79 reviews filtered by
Daniel Percella

Pros
  • The company is very structure which is good for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Mercer provides a flexible work schedule that allow employees the ability to work from home as needed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Favoritism, high turnover and horrible management (in 3 reviews)

• The pay is low compared to other industry jobs and completely uneven between job titles (in 2 reviews)

1. Good for experience

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits

Pros

Good environment with flexibility. Lots of mobility in lower levels.

Cons

Pay is comparatively low and HR rules prevent managers from providing better compensation

allow internal promotions to receive the same pay you would give to an outside hire.

2. The experience was just okay.

Current Employee - Benefit Counselor in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Benefit Counselor in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are great to work with and overall its a fairly fun environment to be in. However, that is really about it. The building is nice and the cafeteria is pretty decent and the work environment is alright but overall I expected much more.

Cons

Where to even begin. First, management is full of deceitfulness. The department only cares about the clients and has no problem blaming the "little" people when they make a mistake yet are not trained on what the client expects. They have no problem forcing overtime on you and changing your schedule without even having a say in it. The job is extremely repetitive and boring. If it wasnt for my coworkers I wouldn't of stayed here.

Please treat your people better. No raises or bonuses is not good for team morale. Hire more "qualified" people and you'll see turnover rate decrease. Also, the department is growing way too much way too fast which leads to an unstable foundation.

3. Constant Upheaval in Management

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits

Pros

Pay is decent, coworkers are nice, and since the company is so large, there is plenty of opportunity to diversify your background in different positions

Cons

As it is a large corporation, I felt that there was constant change in who the company was, who was in charge of the company, what departments were needed. I felt in constant fear of the next set of layoffs.

5. Cold-hearted, cut-throat, and dreary. A great place for turning people into automatons.

Former Contractor - H&B PSR in Norwood, MA
    Former Contractor - H&B PSR in Norwood, MA

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Decent entry level pay, great for some quick money.
    There are so many employees, you're bound to make a few friends.
    Guaranteed 42.5hrs a week.
    If you do extremely well your temp contact may be extended indefinitely, or you may be converted to a permanent employee (though this offers no added security).

Cons

Cycles through large quantities of temps, everyone is disposable.
    Even permanent employees (those converted from temps) will be cast aside without care or consideration, i.e: co-worker was let go just days before Christmas. 0 job security.
    The recent call grading system has made it impossible for even veteran H&B representatives to score perfectly.
    Systems crash or freeze on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis.
    You become a call center robot, the world becomes grey and lifeless. For 8.5hrs a day, nothing exists outside your headset and monitor.

People shouldn't be recycled so easily. If you take the time to cultivate a good psr, don't be so ready to toss them out as soon as the next batch of open enrollment temps flood in.

6. Salary

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits

Pros

Great company! Encourage growth and value retention.

Cons

Salaries are low compared to market.

7. Neutral.

Former Employee - Health & Benefits Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Health & Benefits Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cooperative and helpful coworkers and commrodery between colleagues is quite prevelaent and one feels a sense of accomplishment for the work we do. Head of office is top-notch.

Cons

Opportunites appear to are given to select few and there is a lack of guidance and mentoring by immediate managers. One is on their own for some jobs.

Managers need to be a mentor and lead by example. Would also like to see a more diverse culture and a more positive atmosphere in certain departments.

8. Great Business Environment

I worked at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They embrace talent and work ethic. If you want to be promoted, it is a viable option. Even the "slackers" are good employees.

Cons

It is competitive. The hours can be long depending upon your role and ambitions. They balance out weak leaders w/strong players and visa versa. Smart for consistent performance, yet frustrating for some.

9. Company is a Joke

Current Employee - Client Service Manager in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Client Service Manager in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits

Pros

Couldn't honestly think of anything

Cons

They changed our health insurance this year to terrible plans. This is iur business and we offer lesser plans at more cost. Amd we are supposed to consultant to our clients? This company continues to lose good workers and hires kids with no experience.

Smarten up!

Not Good

Current Employee - Requirements Analyst
    Current Employee - Requirements Analyst

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Louisville office is great but if your work remote for another office it's not good.

Cons

I worked at Mercer for a little over 2 years in Benefit Outsourcing. This line of business is not doing well for Mercer and has been on a 5 year plan to turn a profit or to fold. This is probably year 3 of that plan and it's not going well. So many people have quit and those that are left have to do the jobs of 2 or 3 people. Management is the worse I have ever seen. I have worked for Corporate American for many years and this particular line of business is a disaster. I had two managers during this two plus years and never met either of them. RUN AWAY!!

11. Leader in the industry

Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mercer Health & Benefits full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good leadership. Plan to work hard - especially during renewal season.

Cons

Minimum amount of time before being promoted, even if you are exceeding all expectations.

Allow vacation time to rollover