Mercer

Updated November 6, 2014
3.1

Mercer President & CEO Julio A. Portalatin
Julio A. Portalatin

Pros
  • Work/life balance and the best benefits ever, as well as an awesome incentive program (in 64 reviews)

• I have the ability to work from home when I want which is very nice (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough staff creates stressful environment and NO work/life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Could benefit from a Senior Management overhaul and restructure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart and fun coworkers

get exposure to global organization, and get to work with people all over the world

great company to start career

monthly happy hour

very flexible schedule

work from home as needed, typically 2-3 days a week

very close with immediate team

Cons

poor pay & average benefits

upper management doesn't have a clue

lots of turn around at 'Analyst' level

however very hard to go to next pay grade

overworked, and under valued

overtime is very common

-treat your employees better, and give them more incentives to stay

It's a stepping stone — as long as you can land somewhere else.

Current Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time

Pros

It's a semi-livable wage. If you're lucky enough to avoid work, you'll likely be promoted.

Cons

Intelligence isn't required or promoted, instead incompetance and dissrepect is. Expect long hours of repetitive and outdated tasks with no support or appreciation from others. The lower management and employee culture has dissolved over the past 3 years.

Benefits have been what has kept a lot of people satisfied here. Cutting those back was a poor choice.

Good company, but not much room for Career Growth.

Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Benefits Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great, talented People, good place to start a career. Good about work/life balance, with flexible hours.

Cons

Not much room to grow, hard to move to new jobs internally. Management is spread thin and not able to help mentor or give advise.

Allow Supervisors to actually be Supervisors. Most have too much client work to actually supervise. Reviews are often ignored or just checked through and no actual discussions.

Great place to learn and grow, but it can consume your life.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at Mercer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Virtually unlimited intellectual capital.
    - Plenty of opportunities to learn from others.
    - 'Small-company' feel within your immediate team.
    - Pay and benefits are at or above market.

Cons

- If you want to ruin your life by working 80 hours/week and never taking vacation, they will happily let you.
    - If you're not in a big office, and are not willing to move, your chances for significant advancement are limited.
    - Focus on profitability means reducing expenses at all cost. This leads to a lack of meaningful investment in the individual businesses.
    - For a company where the people are the product, they seem to want to get by with the least amount spent on its people. When employees ask for help, the answer is usually to get a temp or an intern versus getting a qualified full-time hire.

Focus on making this a fun place to work again. Your employees are more than machines that convert knowledge and ideas into money. This doesn't mean that you have to host a happy-hour every week, but some meaningful recognition would be nice.

I do believe the current senior leadership is a welcome change from the last regime, and I understand significant changes will take some time. I am hopeful that things will get better.

Liked it very much

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

pay /benefits/ flexible working conditions

Cons

none easy to work for if you do your job

Keep treating your employees well

Good first job.

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty easy going group of people

Cons

Need to up their salary and bonus pools. Make more room for growth and create more job opportunities.

Need to compensate employees more or else they will continue to lose good yiung employess.

A company that cares

Current Employee - Systems Support Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Systems Support Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Promotes from within; Many career advancement opportunities

Cons

Regularly worked over time n

I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine...

Current Employee - I Haven't Had A Job Title In Years But I Can Make One Up If You'd Like in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mercer pays very well. They also have an annual bonus plan that can be 20% (Senior Associate)of your annual salary. They also have a pension plan. It really depends on your role but many roles offer very flexible work arangements include telecommuting. You should never really get bored at Mercer because there is plenty of opportunity to apply and move into other positions during your time at Mercer.

Cons

Very similar to a law firm. The rich keep getting richer. Many of the managers dislike each other so much it's obvious. However, for some reason, they all keep scratching each others back I guess to protect the heard and prevent any imposters from invading their territory. The culture is not a very happy and social one. Egos rule and it's almost hilarious at times. Everyone sees it so it comes down to "whatever, just leave me alone and keep paying me well" which doesn't breed ambition or innovation.

Bring in more from the outside. You need fresh perspectives. Mercer is way too old-fashioned and lacks true innovation. Also, consider ways to truly being teams together and

Actuarial Internship

Current Employee - Actuarial Intern in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Actuarial Intern in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very personable, very professional. Living stipend of $1000. Interns have the opportunity to work overtime, and be reimbursed for Actuarial Exam expenses incurred after accepting the offer, but before the start date.

Cons

Deadlines and time constraints prove to be an obstacle when it comes to putting interns on a project. I was informed that Administrative Assistants are going to be hired on in the fall to do the work that I am doing as an actuarial intern.

Company has lost it's way. Used to be a prime place to work.

Former Employee - Retirement Valuation Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Retirement Valuation Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Mercer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mercer's strength has always been it's ability to find and hire great people. This still holds true as the intellectual capital inside the building is very high. Mercer offers good benefits. Mercer is still a good name with other employers.

Cons

Mercer hires great people, however, they really struggle with what to do with them once they are employees. Training of any substantive nature is an after thought (sink or swim!). Mercer implements changes, rolls out said changes, then realizes maybe some "training" is needed after a rough implementation or results do not meet expectations. Working above and beyond 40 hours/week is not "required" but if one wants to be promoted they will understand this unwritten rule. If you are not the right person's "favorite" then you will have little chance for advancement.

Constant cost-cutting and lack of direction really drags down morale.

Mercer Photos