Mercer

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Long time here

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGeneral stability of the company and group; co-workers are generally enjoyable to work with; company is a leader in the industry

ConsDifficulty in achieving promotions within the group vs. other lines of business; pay is below competitors

It was very good however you need to be very flexible since the maagement team is constantly making changes.

Senior Associate -Corporate Reporting (Former Employee)
Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Mercer full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement always stays on top of the industry trends which keeps them number one. Training is a top priority. The majority of training is available via the compay's intranet site which is very convenient.

ConsConstantly changing environment makes it difficult to work at times. Very aggressive timelines are created without input from the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement teams need to discuss future initiatives with each other and then ask for input from their staff. This would assist in driving timelines which are achievable and reduces stress on the teams.

Collaborative atmosphere, dedication to developing high performers

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to collaborate with smart people; atmosphere that fosters development of high performers; recent shift to pay for performance culture

ConsLack of transparency re pay; more development of lower-performing staff needed

First Job out of College

Actuarial Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work/life balance, lots of flexibility, global - ability to transfer offices all over the world

ConsLower than market compensation, lacks career guidance

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on retention, competitive compensation, and employee engagement

Overall Very positive. Great client base and the opportunity to work with very talented colleagues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mercer full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat clients, great colleagues, used to have a very colleigal atmosphere that has been lost over the last few years

ConsHas become incessantly obsessed with margins and profits. This is great for the shareholders and will produce great results for a couple of years. Longer term, Mercer's success will depend on being able to attract and motivate very talented professionals. Will be increasingly difficult with current leadership rife with bureaucracy, focus on sucking up to levels and more interested in keeping their jobs rather than developing their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on clients and developing the team that will lead the firm 5+ years from now.

Culture at Mercer

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Mercer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMercer consultants are among the smartest and hard working people in the consulting industry. On the job training is intense and effective. The firm is trying to improve innovation. Benefits practice is strong and innovative. There is a focus on developing women leaders. Young professionals will find good development and networking opportunities.

ConsThe performance and rewards system encourages sometimes results in internal competition between practices and among individual consultants. While on the job training is good, formal training and development is lacking. As a public company with scrutiny on profitability, there is a focus on short-term strategy at the expense long term investment.

Great people to work with

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture with really bright people. Had one of the best bosses ever!

ConsThere seems to be less emphasis on developing talent. The focus has been on expense management the last few years; it would be refreshing to start growing top line revenue which would allow the company to pay more and invest in developing its people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time and money to invest in people

A company that's starting to invest more in its people but work-life balance is rough

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Mercer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMercer's a clear leader in its field and it has a great reputation and client roster. There are great people there at multiple levels.

ConsThe work-life balance there is rough and it faces what all consulting firms face -- a challenge of investing in its people when you are client-first.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employee engagement

Good place to start your career as Associate

ProsYou will learn a lot about every aspect of Human Capital/ Talent business
Great clients and network of colleagues
Very strong brand in HR world

ConsAs many large organizations, it is a political environment - learn how to navigate politics if you want to become Principal/Partner
Collaboration challenges - find your little team/sponsors to get work/opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your young talent, protect their development, invest in their growth and career. You have good people already on board - reinforce this with all Partners and Principals.

Great experience and very nice people

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people and nice clients

ConsLow pay and not much room to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all the admin work you put on consultants to perform.

Worked for Mercer? Contribute to the Community!

Mercer – Why Work for Us?

Mercer is a global provider of human resources solutions and world leader in helping organizations leverage the power of their people to achieve peak performance. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mercer reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mercer CEO Julio A. Portalatin. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Mercer employees.