Mercer

Mercer Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Mercer President & CEO Julio A. Portalatin

Julio A. Portalatin

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance and the best benefits ever, as well as an awesome incentive program"
    in 62 reviews
  • "Good for parents with children as there is flexibility to work from home"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Period of heavy workloads / high opporunity can be a challenging for work/life balance"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Could benefit from a Senior Management overhaul and restructure"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company with a positive outlook

I have been working at Mercer

ProsGood pay, good opportunities, and great benefits. Promotions are available for those who are willing to work hard and long hours.

ConsThis is a company that you are able to gain a lot of experience but you have to be willing to work nights and some weekends.

Long time here

Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGeneral stability of the company and group; co-workers are generally enjoyable to work with; company is a leader in the industry

ConsDifficulty in achieving promotions within the group vs. other lines of business; pay is below competitors

wonderful

I have been working at Mercer

Prosreally great and wonderful yay

Consnot much to say about this

Opportunity to learn the industry - develop tool

I have been working at Mercer

ProsExposure to health and benefits administration, working in databases. Benefits are reasonable.

ConsPromotions and raises can be hard to come by. Hours are pretty inflexible. Changes can be slow to come by.

Was a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mercer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo-workers and almost other employees were incredibly nice and the atmosphere was almost fun for the first few years I worked there. Decent pay and the typical benefits were offered (nothing horrible, nothing great).

ConsThere was a leadership change and they became much more concerned with the bottom line than anything else. Work/Life balance became almost non-existent in my department and working nights and weekends becoming the norm. Moved quite a few roles oversees and many excellent employees were laid off. It's still a very influx organization and I don't think the changes they are making will be beneficial.

It was very good however you need to be very flexible since the maagement team is constantly making changes.

Senior Associate -Corporate Reporting (Former Employee)
Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Mercer full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement always stays on top of the industry trends which keeps them number one. Training is a top priority. The majority of training is available via the compay's intranet site which is very convenient.

ConsConstantly changing environment makes it difficult to work at times. Very aggressive timelines are created without input from the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement teams need to discuss future initiatives with each other and then ask for input from their staff. This would assist in driving timelines which are achievable and reduces stress on the teams.

When I first got to Mercer I loved to come to work...now it no life here. Everyone is leaving.

Participant Services Representative (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has great benefits, such as health, vacation, FMLA

ConsThey don't like paying the loyal employee. The location of the office is not a good location and it cost more to get to work. No reimbursement to toll road. Management is not friendly at all. When I was hired we had a family oriented setting, now it no life here.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a happy work environment.

Woefully understaffed, very limited resources,

Senior Communications Consultant (Former Employee)
Norwood, MA

I worked at Mercer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's an OK place to start your career, get your credentials and transfer to a better managed company. The office location can't be beat, easy to get to, wide open parking.

ConsWoefully understaffed
Limited resources
No clear strategy or direction from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what your competitive advantage is and develop it further.

Great experience

Senior Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mercer full-time for less than a year

ProsI love working for Mercer. The people are for the most part fantastic, and most of them strive to succeed and hold themselves and other to high standards.

ConsSome of my coworkers don't care about their jobs at all and complain about working (even though they are getting paid for overtime), yet have been rewarded in all the same ways as those who do not take such a lazy approach. Does not seem fair, and thus removes some incentive to perform well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonuses are lackluster when the company does poorly, but other employees get guaranteed overtime. Consider a change.

Great for driven, self-starters

I have been working at Mercer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTalented, intelligent, and driven colleagues and good intellectual capital resources

ConsHigh workload, difficult work-life balance, lack of formal training.

Worked for Mercer? Contribute to the Community!

Mercer – Why Work for Us?

Mercer is a global provider of human resources solutions and world leader in helping organizations leverage the power of their people to achieve peak performance. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about ideas… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mercer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mercer CEO Julio A. Portalatin. All 591 reviews posted anonymously by Mercer employees.