Mercer

Mercer Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Mercer President & CEO Julio A. Portalatin

Julio A. Portalatin

Pros
  • Work/life balance and the best benefits ever, as well as an awesome incentive program (in 63 reviews)

• The ability to work from home when needed is a nice perq (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Period of heavy workloads / high opporunity can be a challenging for work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Could benefit from a Senior Management overhaul and restructure (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Internal control analyst

Senior Internal Control Analyst (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsThis company has great people to work with, a great work place attitude and feel, it is located all on one floor, and has a very good cafeteria. The parking is free and plentiful. I enjoyed walking around the building at lunch, playing on the softball field and even looking out the windows into the surrounding forest all while being only a short distance from Route 128.

ConsMy commute was long but worth it at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed working for the Managers that I worked for and who were internal clients for me.

good experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossmart people, focused on improving the firm

Conschallenging politics, sometimes competing priorities

Decent place to work, but long for the old days before we were bought

Product Specialist (Current Employee) Brecksville, OH

ProsGood team-work among employees, most everyone takes pride in their work. Flexible work hours, casual dress. Great local employee 'care' group plans lunch-time events to add fun to the workplace.

ConsNot much advancement potential unless you're willing to relocate. Compensation is low at this location. Typical large corporation red tape.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the plan, stop trying to please everyone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steady work with little career advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI love the flexible work arrangements (telecommuting)
    Tuition reimbursement
    Many different career paths
    Very good benefits (health plan, pension, 401K, FSA, HSA)
    Annual bonus may be quite generous

ConsVery large company so easy to get lost if you don't have a mentor
    Starting salary is critical as yearly raises can be minimal or non-existent
    RIFs (reduction in force - fancy term for layoffs) happen WAY too often, but generous severance package

Advice to Senior ManagementClient facing colleagues are treated significantly better than support staff. Even critical support staff aren't compensated unless highly visible. Something should be done about that.

Too Political

ProsLocation, resources of large company, good name on resume

ConsNo/low annual pay increases, not merit-based promotions, politics abound, many many changes to corporate structure and high employee turnover. Very little work/life balance. High cost of health insurance premiums for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIx broken mentorship program and useless annual review process, make salaries competitive, focus more on employee satisfaction vs. sales goals.

Wish there was more to do.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsYou're noticed if you're a high performer but it takes a while to move upward considering it has to go through many many channels.

ConsOffice house are 8 - 5 PM; Wish there was more work. The office leader is really trying to pull people together. I don't know...maybe it's because I'm from New York and I work at a faster pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on getting everyone to work together. It feels like people take ownership of clients and don't share the work b/c they're too stressed about their billable work hours.

great place

Senior Job Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Proslocation is really a good one

Consthere really is nothing bad to say

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Used to be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork environment is mostly relaxed. Benefits packages are outstanding. A lot of internal training which is excellent IF you intend on staying with the company.

ConsMost individuals are cordial but not a family type of atmosphere. Technology leaves a lot to be desired. Advancement not as good as it was in the past. Now a lot of politics involved to get ahead. PFS and MFS are more for show than anything else. Always an excuse for lower bonus incentive payouts.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more cross functional training. Improve technology's, Sometimes it is better to buy a technology than build your own substandard systems. Scrap PFS system and bring in industry leaders to to train people on topics that are not within the companies expertise (i.e lean six sigma, etc.)

All about selling products, not about meeting clients' or employees' needs.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsName is well-respected in the industry for quantitative analysis and services, so a decent resume addition.

ConsVERY little sense of camaraderie or cohesiveness in work groups, lots of political in-fighting, few impressive or inspiring leaders. This is an organization that somehow succeeds in spite of itself, not because of inherent strengths.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing exclusively on Rates of Return and start identifying and understanding your clients' and employees' real needs and you'll actually see improved financial results. And please put different types of people in leadership positions - those who are personally and professionally well-rounded with a true interest in people (vs. processes), and who are highly regarded by clients, not simply well-connected inside Mercer.

Good exposure to the vast corporate world

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExperienced a massive company and how it does business. Got and found in the shuffle several times but it was overall a good experience. The management at the lower levels genuinely cared about your well being. The benefits were amazing and the perks were nice (work from home, etc).

ConsUpper management was a turnstile of changing priorities. I endured 4, 5 year speeches from different CEO's talking about how they were going to make their mark. Toward the end I wanted to badly ask one of the guys in the question session if they were even going to be around in two years. Some of the clients had too much power over what the company decided to task.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvertise your benefits. The benefits are world class and it will help to get and retain employees.

Get a handle on the larger clients. They can't dictate how you do business. They are a partner in that process nothing more. Provide a wall between upper management and the standard employees until the turnstile slows. Full disclosure is nice but its a bit disheartening when the mission changes every year.

Worked for Mercer? Contribute to the Community!