Mercer

Updated November 25, 2014
3.1

Mercer President & CEO Julio A. Portalatin
Julio A. Portalatin

Pros
  • Work/life balance and the best benefits ever, as well as an awesome incentive program (in 64 reviews)

• I have the ability to work from home when I want which is very nice (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough staff creates stressful environment and NO work/life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Could benefit from a Senior Management overhaul and restructure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience and great colleagues

I worked at Mercer full-time

Pros

Excellent employee benefits, intelligent and hardworking colleagues.

Cons

With large companies, processes can take a while.

Good opportunity for entry level professionals

Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in Norwood, MA

I worked at Mercer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about benefits administration. Good opportunities to grow if you put in your time and work hard.

Cons

Pay is reasonable and benefits are reasonable. The margins in the administration business are tight meaning you must be a top performer to get consistent pay increases.

Improve wellness offering. Consider adding a gym or at least locker rooms so employees can focus on their physical well being. This is an undervalued benefit to many employees.

Great company to work for and build a career with

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Boston, MA

I worked at Mercer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I wish I would have joined Mercer decades ago and had a career there. Wonderful opportunities for many different careers and career paths.

Cons

For a sales professional just starting out, the pay is fine because they front load you for 18 months. After that, and it's hard to get traction in 18 months, your pay decreases substantially.

Give new SPs more time to get grounded, make contacts, and get some traction before basing 40% of pay on commissions.

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My Direct Supervisor's were flexible with my home/life schedule as a working mother of 2 young children.

Cons

It is hard to be effective and efficient at your job with the frequent changes in management and company vision and strategy.

Exciting work, too few resources

I worked at Mercer

Pros

The work is exciting and challenging, yet not enough resources in some areas, making for a challenging and stressful environment.

Cons

Work/life balance is lacking. The morale would improve if there were more respect between people. Annual reviews are a big deal to prepare, yet the feedback from employees is not always acknowledged.

It's a stepping stone — as long as you can land somewhere else.

Current Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Mercer full-time

Pros

It's a semi-livable wage. If you're lucky enough to avoid work, you'll likely be promoted.

Cons

Intelligence isn't required or promoted, instead incompetance and dissrepect is. Expect long hours of repetitive and outdated tasks with no support or appreciation from others. The lower management and employee culture has dissolved over the past 3 years.

Benefits have been what has kept a lot of people satisfied here. Cutting those back was a poor choice.

Solid company, but lacking the big picture

Former Employee - RMD Summer Associate
    Former Employee - RMD Summer Associate

I worked at Mercer as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers--very smart, helpful, encouraging. Great pay (as an intern), lots of feedback and coaching, encouragement to work with a variety of LOBs.

Cons

Some projects seemed like busy work. The environment is pretty dry, should encourage more team-based projects. The company seems to have a hard time retaining the best hires for this reason--there is quick turnover if not promoted quickly.

Encourage more collaboration amongst workers--make them feel apart of something bigger than just themselves. Otherwise, they will probably be recruited elsewhere to find greener pastures.

Still relatively new and learning the ropes.

Current Employee - Partner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Partner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mercer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, good brand recognition / reputation in the marketplace, very competitive pay.

Cons

Limited SOPs in place for typical project work. Means starting from scratch with each opportunity. It's inefficient.

Support consultants' desire to establish more standards for project work.

Good place, depending upon your Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a good work life balance at Mercer. I have the ability to work from home when I want which is very nice.

Cons

Depending upon your manager, you will have a good or bad experience here. The overall corporate culture is ok but nothing that i would be proud of. The new hire orientation process is horrid.

Focus on corproate culture and maybe you'll see the turn over rate come down.

A couple of years in

I have been working at Mercer full-time

Pros

great benefits, the teams do all seem to want to do their best work

Cons

the teams are all on the same plateau when it comes to decision-making. this can make it tough for one team to take charge and really drive a project.

clarify the levels of ownership for the products, and clarify that if one team is the owner that team also is responsible for ensuring project success

Mercer Photos