Mercer

Updated February 23, 2015
3.1

Mercer President & CEO Julio A. Portalatin
Julio A. Portalatin

Pros
  • Work/life balance and the best benefits ever, as well as an awesome incentive program (in 64 reviews)

• I have the ability to work from home when I want which is very nice (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough staff creates stressful environment and NO work/life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Could benefit from a Senior Management overhaul and restructure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Insurance Billing Specialist in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Insurance Billing Specialist in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible schedule, rewarding atmosphere

Cons

Not paid enough for what is put on employees

None

Team leader

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and industry leader. Many lines of business. Career opportunities available for those who work hard. Flexible schedules. Hardworking and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

Need to focus on the clients relationships and needs over the long term. Can get caught up in short term goals.

This company recognizes hard work.

Former Employee - Service Delivery Specialist-Mercer Marketplace in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Mercer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great! There are many different programs and affiliated companies offering employees the opportunity to grow. In my experience hard work paid off. Focused employees with the desire to be noticed are promoted. Everything is electronic for your convenience. The buildings are secured and most offer many amenities.

Cons

Many programs are contracted presenting the possibility of positions ending suddenly. Many new unknown employees have to begin from the bottom in a department in order to become recognized for promotion. Many department team leads and/or managers are not trained on the specific line of business, instead they're expected to focus more on time management of their employees. The training department does not specialize in the different programs. Training is generalized and the job specific training is expected by each department through shadowing, etc.

I absolutely loved my position in service delivery with the Mercer Marketplace. I was however disappointed to learn I was unable to keep a virtual position with the Marketplace upon my need to relocate. I would love to see more remote positions open within the Marketplace. I'd return to my position ASAP! Thank you.

Good company with a contractor heavy business model

Current Contractor - Attorney in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The company is filled with great, hard-working people. In addition, there's been an uptick in growth of late.

Cons

There is apparently a restriction on hiring, so Mercer employs a lot of legal contractors rather than hiring directly.

Mixed Feelings

I have been working at Mercer

Pros

Good exposure for a leader in industry; senior consultants a pleasure to work with

Cons

Long hours, very weak raises year over year, difficulty moving around projects

Positive

I have been working at Mercer

Pros

Always learning, colleagues are supportive

Cons

Not as good pay, could be better management

Increasing micro-management

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Mercer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people (internal and clients)

Cons

- Many tech resources were generations behind
    - Corporate micro-management increasing at an unsustainable pace
    - Culture increasingly short-term profit-focused without regard to investments needed to keep talent and capabilities current and thought-leading
    - Growing unnecessary overhead that had to be supported by rate increases

Hire good people and get out of their way. Mercer's biggest competitor is itself -- by creating systems and cultures that are focused internally rather than on the client, making it very hard to do the right thing for the client.

It is a great company! I've worked in mercer for 8 years and every year my job gets more and more interesting!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mercer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse workforce, flexible work arrangements, global presence and multiple career opportunities

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not very competitive, we need better middle-management

Salaries need to be competitive against the market.

Good culture, great people, poor leadership

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at Mercer full-time

Pros

Work on interesting projects for marquee clients; global mobility; great people; career opportunities

Cons

Punitive, out of touch executive leadership focused exclusively on bottom line; chronically understaffed and overworked; lack resources to get work done. No recognition

Recognize that it is impossible to grow without enough people to do the work. Throw out punitive performance management and focus on retention and attraction of the best people.

Many good people, frequently changing priorities

I worked at Mercer

Pros

Mercer is a huge company, with several different business units and offices in many different cities. I can speak only for the Talent business, which was where I worked. Mercer is owned by Marsh & McLennan Companies (MMC). I was with a group that previously had been with another MMC consulting company. MMC moved us to Mercer to strengthen Mercer's capabilities in our area of expertise. My time with Mercer (about two years) does not reflect my much longer time with the group I was in.

Our new colleagues welcomed us with open arms. They were very friendly and helpful and didn't silo information from us. I can't say enough good things about the people I met there. Those who found their niches at Mercer often retired after 20, 25, or even 30 years, which is rare in this day and age.

With the exception of what I put in the Cons section (which applies only to top management), the culture was among the best I've ever experienced. People treated one another with respect, and they went out of their ways to help one another. Siloing information and having an attitude of "It's not my job" didn't get you far. I was never micromanaged.

Work/life balance (for non-consultants), health insurance, and other benefits were very good.

Overall, I recommend Mercer as a place to work, as long as you are aware of and okay with the Cons.

Cons

Most of the Mercer business units were doing well financially. Unfortunately, my group was part of one of the few businesses that weren't doing well. This led to frequent reorganizations and reductions in force. New initiatives weren't given a chance to succeed. If a new initiative didn't prove successful within a couple of quarters, someone else would be put in charge of the function, and that someone would come up with a new initiative.

Mercer Talent stresses to clients the value of finding and retaining good people, and that training new employees is expensive. The group I was with, having come from another MMC company, never quite fit with Mercer's processes and organizational structure, and we were eliminated in 2014. There were other open positions within Mercer for which some of us were qualified, but those positions were put on hold at the time of the downsizing. There was a feeling among many of our colleagues in areas that weren't downsized that management could have and should have found other opportunities for many of those who lost their jobs, especially loyal employees who had been with the group for many years and had valuable skills and knowledge.

In some (not all) job categories, pay was low, and opportunities for advancement were limited or nonexistent. In general, people in the earlier stages of their careers stayed long enough to get some experience and then moved on to other companies. Those who were further along in their careers and who thought they were fairly paid stayed for many years. I was among the satisfied employees and would have been happy to stay indefinitely, as long as my areas of responsibility continued to grow and change.

The level of bureaucracy could be annoying for those of us who had come from smaller companies. "Once size fits all" policies, while efficient, often serve only a portion of employees effectively. All of this goes hand in hand with a huge company, though

Be better about practicing what you preach. Frequent reorganizations and reductions in force might help the bottom line and make it seem like you're doing something proactive in the short term, but they're not viable long-term solutions, they hurt morale among those who remain, and they're counter to what you tell clients.

Mercer Photos