Merchant Services

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

Mike Passilla

Best company I have ever worked for wish I hadn't moved so far away

Former Employee - Isa in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Isa in Irvine, CA

I worked at Merchant Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great company they do back pack week for kids that live in motels that don't have the things they need to start school ,make a wish foundation , xmas gifts for people whom don't have xmas to give great management great sales reps. the owner is very personable .... I wish they would start a merchant services in the high desert I would work there in a minute great company...................

Cons

I moved to far away and couldn't afford the commute:{

keep up the great work guys ... hope you expand to the high desert.....

I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy

Former Employee - National Sales Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - National Sales Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Merchant Services

Pros

At least they paid on time

Cons

Everything from work conditions to work environment was poor. Micromanagement was a big issue. No training, and high turnover rate.

change everything from top to bottom

Business Consulting Assistant

Current Employee - Business Consulting Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consulting Assistant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Merchant Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best opportunity and support I've ever received! I have worked here for almost 4 months and have made more money than I've made working 8 months prior in any job I've held prior. The training and support have been amazing and I can tell that management really cares. The best thing is that my co-workers have helped me more than expected!

Cons

I'm working my way up to my own office but the wait seems long.

Set up an office in Oklahoma City. My cousin wants to work here.

Make a lot of money, hate what you have to do to make it

I have been working at Merchant Services full-time

Pros

Money is good, lots of autonomy

Cons

Company paints itself as an altruistic organization, reality is they aren't. Just as greedy as the next. Pushes crap expensive services to merchants who don't need it. Penalizes you if you don't sell it. Reality is it's a tough business. Very high turnover. No moral compass. When you step back from it and ask yourself if you would like to be treated the way they encourage you to treat prospectives, no way. I'd never buy what I'm selling lol

Nothing. It will continue no advice needed

A great team to join!

Current Employee - Corporate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Merchant Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Merchant Services for over 8 years. Here are some of the pros:
    Autonomy - as long as your work gets done, you are free to do it the way you want - no micro-managing
    Opportunity- in the last year alone, a half dozen hard working employees have been promoted in to leadership roles
    Open Door Policy - Senior Leadership has an open door policy and welcomes new ideas & opinions. Even the executive team goes out of their way to get to know all employees
    Teamwork - Everyone goes out of their way to assist you. I have never come across a "that's not my job" attitude. Maintains a "family" feel, despite size of company
    Anniversary bonus- $100 for every year of service. This is a great perk!
    Stability - In all my years with the company, there has never been a single layoff
    Location - 2 minutes from Irvine Spectrum - lots of restaurants to choose from for lunch

Cons

Parking can sometimes be an issue in the summer when Pretend City is busy. Arrive a few minutes early and it won't be a problem.

Hold a quarterly Corporate meeting to discuss new initiatives. Hearing about the goals in other departments will ensure vision is aligned across the company.

Best Money Opportunity Ever!

Former Employee - Call Center in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center in Irvine, CA

I worked at Merchant Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I hated leaving but needed to in order to care for a loved one. I worked for Merchant Services for a little over 3 years in their call center. I advanced two tiers in my tenure and felt very appreciated. I managed to save enough money to buy a new home out of state with my sibling. In some months I averaged $35+ hr and often hit between $1,500-$2,000 a month in bonuses! The Supervisors totally show care and concern for their staff and I am so sorry I had to leave. If you want to make money and work in a professionally run establishment you should consider this company.

Cons

Their commissions are excellent and they offer large bonuses but they are based on attendance so you need to be the type of person who doesn't normally miss more than a day and half of with each month to qualify for it - but when you do, it's just icing on the cake so bank it!

Open up the leadership staff positions on the charity councils. You'd be surprised how many people want to participate! The building is super clean and continue the excellent maintenance for our surroundings. It's not easy when you have 3 or 4 hundred people so keep it up!

Turn away and run

Former Employee - Office in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Office in Irvine, CA

I worked at Merchant Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best things about this company are the hardworking employees who are often more dedicated to quality of the organization than management.
    The company is like family, with a lot of crazy uncles that no one wants to talk about.
    If you just want a paycheck and no need to advance, this place is ideal.

Cons

Low pay, favoritism, HR nightmare, open door policy for recovering drug addicts/ alcoholics, and management will steal your ideas and claim them as their own.
    If a company has to hold a meeting to tell employees to not smoke weed in the parking lot, you know the place has issues.
    Opportunities to advance are available if you know the right ego to stroke. Qualifications aren't required.
    If you have worked in a professional environment and care about the quality of your work, look elsewhere for employment.
    If you have no problem with being dishonest and withholding the truth from employees and clients, you will go far here.

Restructure the entire organization. Place an honest review into the values and mission of this company. Require drug testing.
    Review and mimic the structure of successful companies that have been around for hundreds of years, and treat your employees and clients with respect.

Very stressful because management is verbally critical.

Former Employee - Isa in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Isa in Concord, CA

I worked at Merchant Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other Inside Sales Associate

Cons

Supervisor wasgrt't dishonest., played favorites and picked on some individuals by ridiculing them behind there back. there practice of writing one up for any little thing. This is to ensure that the ex-employee doesn';t
    get unemployment.

Poor management skills stop berating your employees by thinking you are motivating them. I was told "What have you done for me lately One doesn't know what the other is doing then blames the other person when firing them. No warning!!!

Worked at Merchant Services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Merchant Services full-time

Pros

The employees are the best part - not the upper management who thinks that they are "leaders" but the front line "grunts" who do all the work. They come together and work with little recognition and pay. Through it all, they are friendly and (mostly) happy to be there.

Cons

Upper management plays favorites and is completely unprofessional if one chooses not to continue with the company. There is an expectation of 10+ hours a day for all salary employees with little chance of promotion or gratitude.

The sales force gets paid 100 times more than the people who really keep the business going. The sales reps are spoiled and given whatever they want with no regard for consequences. Often the support staff is blamed for their mistakes.

There is very little to no management support and you must figure out how to do things on your own - and if it's wrong take all the blame.

They are really looking for employees who come in, don't ask too many questions, and work their butts off. Beware if you tell the Emperor he has "clothes."

One of the lowest paid sales environments I've see. Their benefits package sucks.

Stay away from this employer!! They will suck you dry and discard you with no second thought.

Too few people doing too much work. Hire more support staff and treat them right with competitive pay.

Good Consulting, Sales Opportunity for Some

Current Employee - Indep Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Indep Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Merchant Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Paid on time, large commissions possible, managers and employees care about you achieving success, good opportunity if you're comfortable working with little direction and for yourself, leads available free if you can turn them into sales

Cons

Hard work to achieve top pay and bonus; can't do this part time and hope to get what they quote

Shorten training (too long), consider work from home employee option for those that don't want to be in the field, screen other sales agents to ensure they have a grasp of what being an independent contractor is all about so they don't waste time complaining