Merchant Warehouse

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
2.1

Henry Helgeson

Fun place to work. Good people, exciting work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Merchant Warehouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people. Though there are a lot of exciting things happening there isn't crushing pressure to over extend yourself. Cool attitude of working on the most important things and doing them well.

Cons

Lots of growth and shifting roles and responsibilities. Hard to keep track of who the right people are to go to sometimes.

Keep getting more people involved. Keep the excitement and figure out ways to push it down into other positions so it is relevant to us. The executive teams passion is contagious, we somehow need to make the opportunities matter for more employees day to day.

Sales Operations Coordinator

Former Employee - Sales Operations Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Merchant Warehouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. It was a company that I believed in. They had a great niche in the credit card processing industry with POS developers and dealers.

Cons

I was there for three years and was unable to advance to any other role with more responsibility.

Do a better job of developing current employees.

Merchant Warehouse talked the talk and never once walked the walk.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Merchant Warehouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location, dress-code, inbound leads

Cons

No base salary, commission structure was set-up for you to fail, no real training, no real management, poor in-office communication, has the high-school gossip vibe, lied to, promotions come to those who are MW slaves, "what have you done for me lately," they lost all their real talent in 2014

Bring in outside consultants to run the sales floor, treat your top sales people with respect - reward them for being consistent and don't punish them or make up new rules for them if they already are successful and manage their desk correctly.

Avoid

I have been working at Merchant Warehouse

Pros

Good location
    Starbucks in building
    Roof area on building is nice during summer and done up well.

Cons

Benefits leave a lot to be desired, especially considering salaries are extremely low. No room for growth. No room for advancement - everyone is very young and in no way close to retirement. Hardly anyone has a college degree. High turnover. NO accountability. No recognition, bonuses, promotions... Employees are treated like children. Reluctant to acknowledge and change obvious problems.

Realize that most of your employees are unhappy and acknowledge the complaints that are made over and over again.

Management lacks professionalism, experience and power freakish.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Merchant Warehouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, fun, and decent salary for some positions.

Cons

It's all about who you are "in" with. If you are friends with top level managers, who really lack any management experience, then you will get job advancement opportunities. Customer service reps are more like account managers and sales personnel push all their work off onto them. Top level managers who started the company are fairly young, all friends, and never worked anywhere else so they lack any management training, are more like powerfreaks, and don't know anything about effective leadership and development or professionalism.The culture is very unprofessional, and more based on who you know and how much sucking up/brownoising you can accomplish.

Take some management and leadership classes/training seminars. You're not professional at all, and act more like egotistical power freaks.

Motto should be "playing favorites"

Current Employee - Former Employee
    Current Employee - Former Employee

I have been working at Merchant Warehouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Uhhh, they have good snacks in the vending machine? And they are centrally located down town

Cons

It is very hard to move up in this company, in any department. Unless you are a favorite of management. If that is the case you can do the bare minimum, maybe less, and still be praised and promoted. Meanwhile, if you are a worker bee, do you work, stay out of office politics, you will get no where.
    Favoritism even goes to policies and procedures. If you make a small error you can expect a passive aggressive email to you. ALL managers are too cowardly to approach you face to face.

There are also several directors that take more smoke breaks than needed, while their managers are running the departments for them.

I was with the company for over 7 years, they used to hire great people. They now have stooped to hiring uneducated, unintelligent staff so because of these delinquents they need to treat us all like children. This is a major company in our industry. I think they should require at least a bachelors degree for every department. No bachelors, we should get rid of them. Let go of the useless morons. This company is turning into more of a urban hangout than a business.

Rethink your hiring

Negative Culture

I worked at Merchant Warehouse full-time

Pros

Free food sometimes to pump up spirit! It used to be good. It was a fun, friendly, place. That is gone.

Cons

Turnover is very high!! ...most of the people in the pictures here do not work for the company anymore. And the pictures are not very old. The atmosphere is like a morgue. I don't know one truly happy employee. There is constant complaining and gossip. Lots of whispers. This is a production job/company. "There are others waiting for your job" (actual quote) Do not voice your opinion, management knows better than you.

Don't put a "spin" on things to make them appear OK. Address the issues.

Run like the wind

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Merchant Warehouse (more than 3 years)

Pros

...well... I got nothing

1. Probably going bankrupt anyday. Most of the staff is hoping to have a few months off on unemployment

Cons

Used to be a great place to work. Used to have a great culture and employees felt appreciated. Company is now preparing to sell and is investor backed which equals extremely low pay, overworked employees, low morale, and a very morgue like atmosphere. Company wants best talent for lowest price and then wonders why we have 30% turnover. Don't backfill positions just push all the work to the next guy. Only management gets bonuses. Just got new health insurance plan with $4k deductible. Benefits are a joke - terrible insurance, no commuter benefits, no telecommuting, no tuition, no flexible hours, open on all federal holidays. Just gave us a free hubway pass thinking that would make up for the rest of the benefits but limited to 30 minute increments. If you are considering a job here do yourself a favor and ask for the benefits package, seriously it takes a big chunk of your already dismal salary. Management treats employees as if they are disposable in the most excruciating way possible and the attitude is " if you don't like it leave". About 30% of the staff a year takes that advice. At the town halls we are constantly saying how we are running out of space in the current office and we are hiring like mad yet we never run out of seats. You do the math. Overall the company has no intention to motivate their employees. The staff is treated like a burden with no signs of change anytime soon.

Invest in your staff

Used to be great

Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Support Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Merchant Warehouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Decent Salary and Benifits
    -Co-Workers are often great

Cons

-Awful Communication. I can't count how many times I found out about a change to policy or a new product when a customer called in to inquire about it and no one in our team or department had even heard of it.
    -Investors and new executives recently came into the company a few years ago causing a huge amount of changes, almost none of which were positive.
    -Promotion opportunities are sharply limited. Especially if you work in Client Services or Tech where the only option is Team Lead, which is a awful job. Executives and managers are hired from without unless they happened to be at that level before the investors came in.
    -Pay went from Salary to Hourly but they tried to stay we were still guaranteed the same yearly rate, however if we now work less hours for some reason we aren't paid for it and if we go over 40 hours per week we are reprimanded because they don't want to pay out overtime.
    -Feedback from managers is highly limited. You hear about it if you make a mistake, but rarely if you do something particularly well.
    -Getting resources to do the job now faces bureaucracy and roadblocks, even for replacing a position recently vacated.
    -The company is trying to transaction from Merchant Services to a Product based company, but is taking all the focus off of providing excellent service and putting it towards creating products, but they release the products before they are fully functional leading to a flood of angry customers calling Client Services and Tech to complain.
    -Recent caps in raises and removal of bonuses have exacerbated plummeting morale.

Figure out how to communicate internally so the staff who is handling the customers is aware of policy changes and products. Give your employees the resources to do their job! Do something real to address plummeting morale by improving the working conditions instead of half thought out "band aids" like having someone come around to distribute candy every now and again.

They have no idea what they are doing

I worked at Merchant Warehouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Fun colleagues
    - Frequent after work outings

Cons

-Low starting salary and raises were dropped from 8% max to 2% max in one year
    -Horrible communication
    -Employees are undervalued
    -High turnover
    -Senior management is clueless with what is actually going on with their department/employees

Merchant Warehouse Photos