Merchant e-Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paulo Guzzo

From creative to corporate

ProsI have a lot of freedom to set my goals and priorities.

ConsVery little promoting from within. Very little chance of advancing. Salaries are stuck back in the 1990s.

What does Merchant e-Solutions and the Brazilian Soccer Team have in common?? Both are all talk and full of hot air!

Professional Level Person (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat people and location in Redwood City.

ConsAge discrimination. Staff over the age of 40 are being let go in large numbers without reason and HR uses the term "at-will" employer. This place is getting real bad. No increase. Class division. Its a ship without a captain. Too many know it all have been hired at large salaries and things just get worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue.

Awful experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the people are pleasant to work with. A few very sharp and talented individuals that work there.

ConsWhere to begin. Terrible management. Everything is rushed and half thought out. They don't bother to check with employees on the project how long something will take before committing to customers. Very micromanaged. Management can't seem to decide on anything. Project requirements change with the wind mainly due to poorly thought out ideas. They do not take advice well from the employees who deal with a certain skill applicable to the project, because they always seem to think they know better when they don't have any background with that skill. The like to respond with "Unacceptable! You will do it this way, and it will be done by Yesterday!" Because they have already committed to their customers.

They are also running on VERY outdated technology and they are WAY overdue to pay their technology dues. They do not treat most of their employees fairly. Myself and other employees were made so many promises in order to temporarily calm me down or satisfy them. I never once saw any of these promises ever come to light, or any effort to even attempt to fulfill these promises. Lots of times we would find out they went and did something completely opposite and was obviously kept from those promised.

In such a short period of time so many people came and left. Saw people leave that had been there for years, all the way to just a few months old. Mainly due to the fact they have recently made many changes mostly for the worse. Things have sadly gone down hill fast, and it does not appear that they are making any effort to adjust these changes anytime soon. Some of the changes have been bringing on managers who also have poor reviews on glassdoor from previous companies.

I have worked at large and small start up companies who all have things more organized and a more sensible game plan than they do at the time of writing this. They also do not appropriately assign tasks. They have people doing stuff that they have never done before while the person who has training with a certain subject gets other random assignments that do not fit their skill set either.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your technologies dues and revamp your system. Your old one has carried you long enough. Treat your employees better. Don't commit yourself to your customers till you have done your homework. Don't let one manager lead 5 teams, this spreads him too thin and he can't possibly do his job well for each team. Stop cutting corners. Listen to the employees who deal with applicable skills to the project day in and day out. Think they might have a clue about whats going on. Stop micromanaging. Let an engineer lead an engineering team. This makes for better communication and more appropriately assigned tasks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was great at first, then went downhill quick!

Help Desk Representative (Current Employee)
    Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

ProsCo-workers are awesome for the most part

ConsBetter be prepared to constantly stroke the managers' egos because if you get on their bad side, watch out! If you are a favored employee, then you will find that you are very much able to get away with pretty much whatever, but once you're off that good side, they waste no time in nitpicking and borderline harassing you over the smallest and simplest of things that were overlooked before!

The systems and resources available to do the job are lacking to say the very least. Their phone system is the same phones you see in early 1980's flicks and functions just about as reliably as one would expect. The computer and IT systems are not much further ahead either, our regular customer management system crashes on a daily basis, but most detrimentally, the processing system that our merchants, our lifeblood, uses to generate revenue constantly has problems and crashes and needs to be taken down on a regular business, and when customers call in to check on it's status, we are regularly told to mislead them in the ETA of when said systems will be back up. And when said systems affect your ability to do your job, it is your fault, never mind the fact that the repeated requests to update the system have gone ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou ever hear of the term "spitting in the wind?" It basically means that what goes around comes around and at this point, it is no secret to our client banks, our larger merchants, and the rest of the company as a whole that we are going to be outsourced soon, and the backlash from that is already happening. The argument of "they've dumped a lot of money into us" that management regularly uses to make themselves feel better about this situation is ill advised in determining the future outlook of this company. For example, just this last week, five other managers in various positions, including our own Operations Manager in Spokane Valley who has helped build the company for the last 10 years of his life is all of a sudden "leaving the company on April 4th, 2014?" My advice to management, better start updating those resumes and looking for other prospects! You have no one to blame but yourselves and the decisions you have made to lead to this. I hope you have learned your lessons.

Corruption, discrimination, negativity from the head of the company all the way down

Help Desk Representative (Former Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsIt's one of the best-payiing call center jobs in the area, and there is more freedom of movement around the office, as the phone system allows you to take the call instead of automatically bringing the customer on the line.

ConsOne word... MANAGEMENT. I worked there for a couple of years and the amount of backstabbing amongst the managers themselves is appalling. They change the rules as they see fit. One employee will be written up for breaking a "rule" once, while another favored employee can break the same rule daily. They do absolutely discriminate against employees whenever it fits them. When I worked there, they nitpicked an outstanding employee who followed all their ever-changing rules, stayed out of the office drama, and was brilliant at what he did, yet he kept getting written up because he was "weird" (their description of him, not mine). Many times, we were given projects to complete that were impossible to complete because they had errors in them, or because the outdated system would not provide the information needed to complete them, and we would be written up for our inability to complete the project. When I worked there, a certain shift opened up that another employee had wanted for a long time. When he was the only employee to put in his interest for that shift, management came to me and asked me to take the shift even though I was not interested. When I declined and asked why they would ask me when someone else really wanted the same shift the manager told me openly that they wanted me to take it so they would not have to give it to the other employee. I had only been with the company for 3 months at that point and it was quite the eye-opener that this was not the wonderful company I thought it was. My advice to potential employees: If you can stand drama, backstabbing, and discrimination, go ahead and apply. Otherwise, run!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the corruption I saw started from upper management all the way down, I'm not sure I have any advice that would actually be considered. Treat your employees as you yourself would like to be treated.

Terrible

Help Desk Representative (Former Employee)
    Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

ProsThe people I worked with were great

ConsThe business has no concept of rewarding for even going above and beyond
    They use obsolete software, which stops working and crashes often.
    IT doesn't install programs like JavaScript, but we have to frequently access sites that require it.
    Suggestions to help make things operate better are met with resistance and excuses that the dept that could make it happen have too much on their plates right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really cared about the business succeeding, you would find ways to make your front line happier, and upgrade that 20 year old GUI so the help desk can work smarter, not harder.

A decent multicultural place to work

ProsFlexible telecommute when necessary
    Freedom to explore your own solutions
    New projects could be promising

Cons401k benefits are not up to SV standard
    The open-style workplace has zero privacy and constant distractions
    Future is a bit uncertain with sale of the company
    Technical communication with the new owners can be challenging due to a language difference

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove worker benefits,

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Professional (Current Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsMeS has some great people working there. The Redwood City location is convenient for commuting purposes.

ConsWhere do I start?

1. The “we’re the best” and “we know how to do everything” attitude of the Brazilian parent company and US management is a roadblock.

2. A company that started on third base in that it was founded by the two largest banks in Brazil can claim to be the Google of Brazil. Let’s be clear Google was built upon an idea of two Stanford techies on an idea. Cielo history is being spun-off of two successful companies. Who cares about the company’s market cap when compared to its Brazilian counterparts?

3. Forcing the Brazilian culture on a Silicon Valley company.
    4. Too much focus on saving face by senior management.
    5. The top down management style i.e. I’m in a higher position than you so I know better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a true Silicon Valley company in your compensation, bonus and benefits package. Being able to work remotely and from home at times is standard for technology companies. Hold people accountable for their productivity and work product. Just being in the office doesn't mean your productive.

RWC location : It really was a very cool place

Technical Person (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsUnder the previous administration I had a lot of freedom and was the most productive I have ever been.

No Pros anymore, taken over by Brazilian 9-5'ers that have no idea how to interact with technical people.

ConsOpen plan office, and I don't mean low cubes I mean flat rows of tables. Radically, offensively open plan. Your work space is the width of your monitor and only 10' deep. Total conformity expected. No customization of the work space is allowed or Brazilian HR will freak out. Incompetent employees are kept on forever. Treated like an idiot by Brazilians who are insistent that their way is best, even when their way is some sort of cross between Mexico and 1976 America.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy buy a company in silicon valley if you have no intentions at all of learning how and why we do things the way that we do. Don't make radical changes to the office environment, that are clearly intended to be oppressive, without interview stakeholders. If people say they'll hate it, don't do it.

Poor Management Direction

Help Desk Representative (Current Employee)
    Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

ProsCo-Workers are great, and the benefits are good as long as you only want them for yourself and not a spouse/child

ConsManagement makes decisions that cause a great deal of abuse to the employees by customers and they literally will tell you they do not care. They do not treat employees with the respect they deserve for the work they do and do not reward good behavior beyond an occasional pat on the back IF one of your co-workers notices it and reports it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like humans who have needs instead of cattle who can be replaced at the drop of the hat.

Worked for Merchant e-Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merchant e-Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merchant e-Solutions CEO Paulo Guzzo. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Merchant e-Solutions employees.