Merchant e-Solutions

Updated July 30, 2014
Updated July 30, 2014
1.7

Paulo Guzzo

Smart, upbeat & makes money - what more could you ask?

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the happy attitude, cross-cultural, and gender-equitable environment here. People generally smile and laugh and get the job done well.
    IT and engineering have regular, short time-blocked meetings to share progress or blocks. We all work together as a strong unit in a modern work space, using modern methods and upgrading the old into the new and scalable
    This year, across the board, we're modernizing: systems, infrastructure, code base, and the website.
    If you like the feel of a smart, modern, young company, but want the safety net of large parent company (instead of VC money), this is the place for you.

Cons

It's tough to change a static fire-fighting culture into an Agile, modern organization with trackable, regular releases. The past management used a non-scalable (often w/ hard-coded fixes), with a top-down, fire-fighting approach. However, in spite of some of the old-timers who didn't want to change their work habits, we're managing to steer a new course,. Those who can't change have been leaving, so soon it will be a 100% modern Agile company.

Maybe you could give the people who leave a package w/ a requirement not to defame MeS, at the cost of the release package? Sour grapes can sweeten up with dollar signs.

From creative to corporate

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

I have a lot of freedom to set my goals and priorities.

Cons

Very little promoting from within. Very little chance of advancing. Salaries are stuck back in the 1990s.

Worst work environment, ever!

I worked at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many individuals are intelligent and great people to work with.

Cons

Where to start....
    1. The location sucks. No walking distance restaurants except Specialty's. You'll get sick of Specialty immediately. Being next to Oracle does not help with the traffic either.
    2. The set up of the office is freaking ridiculous. It feels like you are in a call center and a sales person. Open cubicles, technically not even cubicles. It is just a long flat table with monitors on it. Your coworker is literally 3-5 feet away from you. Stretch out your arms enough and you will literally be touching them. Talk about no privacy and horrible working condition. Everyone can hear each other's conversations and it is impossible to take a call at your desk without the sounds of people talking in the background.
    3. The mindset of the company after being bought out by a Brazilian company only made things worse. Everything is 'oh in Brazil, we did it like this" "in Brazilian, this is how it's done" "the Brazilians want it done this way". Well you know what, welcome to the U.S. NEWS FLASH: things are done differently here, we actually have laws and regulations for the work environment.
    4. HR is a complete joke. It is run by idiots who knows nothing about HR. HR is only good at lying and making up their own rules and laws. They probably don't even know what the word "compliance" means. Also, HR team really take terminations lightly. They will fire anyone that they do not like personally. BEWARE of HR, they are not your friends. When given a chance, they will start singing like a canary and throw you under the bus. Their sole purpose is to protect the company only and spend their day sucking up to the management team.

Learn how to manage. Your title is bogus and you do not deserve it. How can you lead a team or a company when you know nothing about properly building a business. No point in giving advice to the management team because the Brazilian way, is the only way. They will continue to run the company the way Brazil wants them to run it. Management team is the saddest thing that could have ever happened to this company. Good freaking luck!

What does Merchant e-Solutions and the Brazilian Soccer Team have in common?? Both are all talk and full of hot air!

Current Employee - Professional Level Person in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Level Person in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and location in Redwood City.

Cons

Age discrimination. Staff over the age of 40 are being let go in large numbers without reason and HR uses the term "at-will" employer. This place is getting real bad. No increase. Class division. Its a ship without a captain. Too many know it all have been hired at large salaries and things just get worse.

Get a clue.

Awful experience

I worked at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

Most of the people are pleasant to work with. A few very sharp and talented individuals that work there.

Cons

Where to begin. Terrible management. Everything is rushed and half thought out. They don't bother to check with employees on the project how long something will take before committing to customers. Very micromanaged. Management can't seem to decide on anything. Project requirements change with the wind mainly due to poorly thought out ideas. They do not take advice well from the employees who deal with a certain skill applicable to the project, because they always seem to think they know better when they don't have any background with that skill. The like to respond with "Unacceptable! You will do it this way, and it will be done by Yesterday!" Because they have already committed to their customers.

They are also running on VERY outdated technology and they are WAY overdue to pay their technology dues. They do not treat most of their employees fairly. Myself and other employees were made so many promises in order to temporarily calm me down or satisfy them. I never once saw any of these promises ever come to light, or any effort to even attempt to fulfill these promises. Lots of times we would find out they went and did something completely opposite and was obviously kept from those promised.

In such a short period of time so many people came and left. Saw people leave that had been there for years, all the way to just a few months old. Mainly due to the fact they have recently made many changes mostly for the worse. Things have sadly gone down hill fast, and it does not appear that they are making any effort to adjust these changes anytime soon. Some of the changes have been bringing on managers who also have poor reviews on glassdoor from previous companies.

I have worked at large and small start up companies who all have things more organized and a more sensible game plan than they do at the time of writing this. They also do not appropriately assign tasks. They have people doing stuff that they have never done before while the person who has training with a certain subject gets other random assignments that do not fit their skill set either.

Pay your technologies dues and revamp your system. Your old one has carried you long enough. Treat your employees better. Don't commit yourself to your customers till you have done your homework. Don't let one manager lead 5 teams, this spreads him too thin and he can't possibly do his job well for each team. Stop cutting corners. Listen to the employees who deal with applicable skills to the project day in and day out. Think they might have a clue about whats going on. Stop micromanaging. Let an engineer lead an engineering team. This makes for better communication and more appropriately assigned tasks.

Was great at first, then went downhill quick!

Current Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome for the most part

Cons

Better be prepared to constantly stroke the managers' egos because if you get on their bad side, watch out! If you are a favored employee, then you will find that you are very much able to get away with pretty much whatever, but once you're off that good side, they waste no time in nitpicking and borderline harassing you over the smallest and simplest of things that were overlooked before!

The systems and resources available to do the job are lacking to say the very least. Their phone system is the same phones you see in early 1980's flicks and functions just about as reliably as one would expect. The computer and IT systems are not much further ahead either, our regular customer management system crashes on a daily basis, but most detrimentally, the processing system that our merchants, our lifeblood, uses to generate revenue constantly has problems and crashes and needs to be taken down on a regular business, and when customers call in to check on it's status, we are regularly told to mislead them in the ETA of when said systems will be back up. And when said systems affect your ability to do your job, it is your fault, never mind the fact that the repeated requests to update the system have gone ignored.

You ever hear of the term "spitting in the wind?" It basically means that what goes around comes around and at this point, it is no secret to our client banks, our larger merchants, and the rest of the company as a whole that we are going to be outsourced soon, and the backlash from that is already happening. The argument of "they've dumped a lot of money into us" that management regularly uses to make themselves feel better about this situation is ill advised in determining the future outlook of this company. For example, just this last week, five other managers in various positions, including our own Operations Manager in Spokane Valley who has helped build the company for the last 10 years of his life is all of a sudden "leaving the company on April 4th, 2014?" My advice to management, better start updating those resumes and looking for other prospects! You have no one to blame but yourselves and the decisions you have made to lead to this. I hope you have learned your lessons.

Corruption, discrimination, negativity from the head of the company all the way down

Former Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane, WA

I worked at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's one of the best-payiing call center jobs in the area, and there is more freedom of movement around the office, as the phone system allows you to take the call instead of automatically bringing the customer on the line.

Cons

One word... MANAGEMENT. I worked there for a couple of years and the amount of backstabbing amongst the managers themselves is appalling. They change the rules as they see fit. One employee will be written up for breaking a "rule" once, while another favored employee can break the same rule daily. They do absolutely discriminate against employees whenever it fits them. When I worked there, they nitpicked an outstanding employee who followed all their ever-changing rules, stayed out of the office drama, and was brilliant at what he did, yet he kept getting written up because he was "weird" (their description of him, not mine). Many times, we were given projects to complete that were impossible to complete because they had errors in them, or because the outdated system would not provide the information needed to complete them, and we would be written up for our inability to complete the project. When I worked there, a certain shift opened up that another employee had wanted for a long time. When he was the only employee to put in his interest for that shift, management came to me and asked me to take the shift even though I was not interested. When I declined and asked why they would ask me when someone else really wanted the same shift the manager told me openly that they wanted me to take it so they would not have to give it to the other employee. I had only been with the company for 3 months at that point and it was quite the eye-opener that this was not the wonderful company I thought it was. My advice to potential employees: If you can stand drama, backstabbing, and discrimination, go ahead and apply. Otherwise, run!

As the corruption I saw started from upper management all the way down, I'm not sure I have any advice that would actually be considered. Treat your employees as you yourself would like to be treated.

Terrible

Former Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I worked at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great

Cons

The business has no concept of rewarding for even going above and beyond
    They use obsolete software, which stops working and crashes often.
    IT doesn't install programs like JavaScript, but we have to frequently access sites that require it.
    Suggestions to help make things operate better are met with resistance and excuses that the dept that could make it happen have too much on their plates right now.

If you really cared about the business succeeding, you would find ways to make your front line happier, and upgrade that 20 year old GUI so the help desk can work smarter, not harder.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Current Employee - Professional in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Professional in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MeS has some great people working there. The Redwood City location is convenient for commuting purposes.

Cons

Where do I start?

1. The “we’re the best” and “we know how to do everything” attitude of the Brazilian parent company and US management is a roadblock.

2. A company that started on third base in that it was founded by the two largest banks in Brazil can claim to be the Google of Brazil. Let’s be clear Google was built upon an idea of two Stanford techies on an idea. Cielo history is being spun-off of two successful companies. Who cares about the company’s market cap when compared to its Brazilian counterparts?

3. Forcing the Brazilian culture on a Silicon Valley company.
    4. Too much focus on saving face by senior management.
    5. The top down management style i.e. I’m in a higher position than you so I know better.

Be a true Silicon Valley company in your compensation, bonus and benefits package. Being able to work remotely and from home at times is standard for technology companies. Hold people accountable for their productivity and work product. Just being in the office doesn't mean your productive.

A decent multicultural place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

Flexible telecommute when necessary
    Freedom to explore your own solutions
    New projects could be promising

Cons

401k benefits are not up to SV standard
    The open-style workplace has zero privacy and constant distractions
    Future is a bit uncertain with sale of the company
    Technical communication with the new owners can be challenging due to a language difference

Improve worker benefits,