Merchant e-Solutions

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
1.6

Paulo Guzzo

Smart, upbeat & makes money - what more could you ask?

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like the happy attitude, cross-cultural, and gender-equitable environment here. People generally smile and laugh and get the job done well.
    IT and engineering have regular, short time-blocked meetings to share progress or blocks. We all work together as a strong unit in a modern work space, using modern methods and upgrading the old into the new and scalable
    This year, across the board, we're modernizing: systems, infrastructure, code base, and the website.
    If you like the feel of a smart, modern, young company, but want the safety net of large parent company (instead of VC money), this is the place for you.

Cons

It's tough to change a static fire-fighting culture into an Agile, modern organization with trackable, regular releases. The past management used a non-scalable (often w/ hard-coded fixes), with a top-down, fire-fighting approach. However, in spite of some of the old-timers who didn't want to change their work habits, we're managing to steer a new course,. Those who can't change have been leaving, so soon it will be a 100% modern Agile company.

Maybe you could give the people who leave a package w/ a requirement not to defame MeS, at the cost of the release package? Sour grapes can sweeten up with dollar signs.

From creative to corporate

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

I have a lot of freedom to set my goals and priorities.

Cons

Very little promoting from within. Very little chance of advancing. Salaries are stuck back in the 1990s.

A decent multicultural place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

Flexible telecommute when necessary
    Freedom to explore your own solutions
    New projects could be promising

Cons

401k benefits are not up to SV standard
    The open-style workplace has zero privacy and constant distractions
    Future is a bit uncertain with sale of the company
    Technical communication with the new owners can be challenging due to a language difference

Improve worker benefits,

Work environment is ok if you like selling.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions

Pros

Potential huge salary boost based on great sales. Offers base salary. Able to work from home and create own schedule. You are your own boss.

Cons

Nowhere to grow within company. Extremely strict monthly sales quotas. Benefits are some of the worst of any company I've ever seen.

Offer better benefits. Offer better incentives. Ease up on the monthly sales quotas. They should be counted quarterly not monthly.

Only consider if you absolutely have no choice and you need to pay mortgage.

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions

Pros

A company in transition?

At this point I see no pros for this company.

Cons

This used to be a good place to work. Top level management is clueless and has no respect for employees often providing conflicting instructions that only meet their personal agendas. They fight with each other and get employees to do the dirty work.

The office is far from anywhere else unless you are living in Redwood City.

There are no perks, no benefits.

There is no career planning.

Most of the people I know are currently looking for other opportunities and the company is loosing talent on a weekly basis. At this point, anyone who knew something important is far gone. So, if you need to solve even the simplest problem, you have a problem.

This is a blackhole in Silicon Valley, you think you are in Silicon Valley but you are not. I see no perspective.

- Stop micro-managing people.
    - Stop fighting each other.
    - Open-up your minds, this is supposed to be Silicon Valley.

Worst Company Ever! Run Away!!!

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any. This place is like a circus.

Cons

-Politics galore
    -Fragmented Management
    -decisions take forever to make
    -lots of decision flip flopping
    -HR doesn't care about employees. They fire people without warning and let the rest of us figure out how to pick up the pieces
    -This is not a meritocracy, lots of people work hard and get no recognition while the ones brown noses and do no work get bonuses.
    -Brazilian management can't keep a meeting, they always reschedule last minute, and even rescheduling doesn't work
    -they run this place like a call center in a 3rd world country...just look at the way they pack everyone on open counter space.
    -no respect for employee opinions
    ...the list goes on and they claim to be making changes for the better, but it's really just getting worse.

It's not worth the stress and headache. I'm dying to get out of here.

Quit now before you make a bigger disgrace of yourself

Worst work environment, ever!

I worked at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many individuals are intelligent and great people to work with.

Cons

Where to start....
    1. The location sucks. No walking distance restaurants except Specialty's. You'll get sick of Specialty immediately. Being next to Oracle does not help with the traffic either.
    2. The set up of the office is freaking ridiculous. It feels like you are in a call center and a sales person. Open cubicles, technically not even cubicles. It is just a long flat table with monitors on it. Your coworker is literally 3-5 feet away from you. Stretch out your arms enough and you will literally be touching them. Talk about no privacy and horrible working condition. Everyone can hear each other's conversations and it is impossible to take a call at your desk without the sounds of people talking in the background.
    3. The mindset of the company after being bought out by a Brazilian company only made things worse. Everything is 'oh in Brazil, we did it like this" "in Brazilian, this is how it's done" "the Brazilians want it done this way". Well you know what, welcome to the U.S. NEWS FLASH: things are done differently here, we actually have laws and regulations for the work environment.
    4. HR is a complete joke. It is run by idiots who knows nothing about HR. HR is only good at lying and making up their own rules and laws. They probably don't even know what the word "compliance" means. Also, HR team really take terminations lightly. They will fire anyone that they do not like personally. BEWARE of HR, they are not your friends. When given a chance, they will start singing like a canary and throw you under the bus. Their sole purpose is to protect the company only and spend their day sucking up to the management team.

Learn how to manage. Your title is bogus and you do not deserve it. How can you lead a team or a company when you know nothing about properly building a business. No point in giving advice to the management team because the Brazilian way, is the only way. They will continue to run the company the way Brazil wants them to run it. Management team is the saddest thing that could have ever happened to this company. Good freaking luck!

What does Merchant e-Solutions and the Brazilian Soccer Team have in common?? Both are all talk and full of hot air!

Current Employee - Professional Level Person in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Level Person in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and location in Redwood City.

Cons

Age discrimination. Staff over the age of 40 are being let go in large numbers without reason and HR uses the term "at-will" employer. This place is getting real bad. No increase. Class division. Its a ship without a captain. Too many know it all have been hired at large salaries and things just get worse.

Get a clue.

Awful experience

I worked at Merchant e-Solutions full-time

Pros

Most of the people are pleasant to work with. A few very sharp and talented individuals that work there.

Cons

Where to begin. Terrible management. Everything is rushed and half thought out. They don't bother to check with employees on the project how long something will take before committing to customers. Very micromanaged. Management can't seem to decide on anything. Project requirements change with the wind mainly due to poorly thought out ideas. They do not take advice well from the employees who deal with a certain skill applicable to the project, because they always seem to think they know better when they don't have any background with that skill. The like to respond with "Unacceptable! You will do it this way, and it will be done by Yesterday!" Because they have already committed to their customers.

They are also running on VERY outdated technology and they are WAY overdue to pay their technology dues. They do not treat most of their employees fairly. Myself and other employees were made so many promises in order to temporarily calm me down or satisfy them. I never once saw any of these promises ever come to light, or any effort to even attempt to fulfill these promises. Lots of times we would find out they went and did something completely opposite and was obviously kept from those promised.

In such a short period of time so many people came and left. Saw people leave that had been there for years, all the way to just a few months old. Mainly due to the fact they have recently made many changes mostly for the worse. Things have sadly gone down hill fast, and it does not appear that they are making any effort to adjust these changes anytime soon. Some of the changes have been bringing on managers who also have poor reviews on glassdoor from previous companies.

I have worked at large and small start up companies who all have things more organized and a more sensible game plan than they do at the time of writing this. They also do not appropriately assign tasks. They have people doing stuff that they have never done before while the person who has training with a certain subject gets other random assignments that do not fit their skill set either.

Pay your technologies dues and revamp your system. Your old one has carried you long enough. Treat your employees better. Don't commit yourself to your customers till you have done your homework. Don't let one manager lead 5 teams, this spreads him too thin and he can't possibly do his job well for each team. Stop cutting corners. Listen to the employees who deal with applicable skills to the project day in and day out. Think they might have a clue about whats going on. Stop micromanaging. Let an engineer lead an engineering team. This makes for better communication and more appropriately assigned tasks.

Was great at first, then went downhill quick!

Current Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Representative in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at Merchant e-Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are awesome for the most part

Cons

Better be prepared to constantly stroke the managers' egos because if you get on their bad side, watch out! If you are a favored employee, then you will find that you are very much able to get away with pretty much whatever, but once you're off that good side, they waste no time in nitpicking and borderline harassing you over the smallest and simplest of things that were overlooked before!

The systems and resources available to do the job are lacking to say the very least. Their phone system is the same phones you see in early 1980's flicks and functions just about as reliably as one would expect. The computer and IT systems are not much further ahead either, our regular customer management system crashes on a daily basis, but most detrimentally, the processing system that our merchants, our lifeblood, uses to generate revenue constantly has problems and crashes and needs to be taken down on a regular business, and when customers call in to check on it's status, we are regularly told to mislead them in the ETA of when said systems will be back up. And when said systems affect your ability to do your job, it is your fault, never mind the fact that the repeated requests to update the system have gone ignored.

You ever hear of the term "spitting in the wind?" It basically means that what goes around comes around and at this point, it is no secret to our client banks, our larger merchants, and the rest of the company as a whole that we are going to be outsourced soon, and the backlash from that is already happening. The argument of "they've dumped a lot of money into us" that management regularly uses to make themselves feel better about this situation is ill advised in determining the future outlook of this company. For example, just this last week, five other managers in various positions, including our own Operations Manager in Spokane Valley who has helped build the company for the last 10 years of his life is all of a sudden "leaving the company on April 4th, 2014?" My advice to management, better start updating those resumes and looking for other prospects! You have no one to blame but yourselves and the decisions you have made to lead to this. I hope you have learned your lessons.