Merck Canada Reviews

Updated April 13, 2014
3.1

Thomas Cannell

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Merck Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, great pay and company is well respected.

Cons

Upper management really changed after buyout of Schering Plough. Wasn't fun anymore.

Disappointing for a company with such a stature

I worked at Merck Canada

Pros

Difficult to describe;
    multinational company;
    cross-country opportunities, but would need many many years in the company

Cons

Very political, hierarchy (can't talk to senior management), poor pipeline (or if there is a better one, did not communicate accurately), not transparent at all; and a case of groupthink; no concept of career development

transparency, open discussion and support decision making at lower levels

Culture of arrogance and condescension

Former Employee - Manager  in  Kirkland, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Kirkland, QC (Canada)

I worked at Merck Canada full-time

Pros

higher salaries and benefits than other industries, as per pharma practices

Cons

Very set in their ways, even in the face of embarrassing lawsuits, forced downsizing and empty buildings. The only way to keep a job there is to focus your attention on watching your back, not on actual performance.

Get real about changing the culture. Look where the old ways have gotten you in Canada: investing millions in a pompous block-long campus that is now a cavernous holding station for a few folks who can't leave because they are financially seduced by their eventual retirement packages....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, in spite of it's management

Current Employee - Senior Representative  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Merck Canada full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great to have on your resume.. for 5 - 10 years. Be prepared to live in Montreal and spend. 2-3 years ...try to move into marketing as soon as possible, e.g. product management.

Cons

Subliminal racism within the Management ranks of working at Merck Canada.- for 15 years they had NO black, coloured/maletto or East Indian reps in Regional Management Positions.

If you're asking for 110%, then remunerate at the 80th percentile, anything lower is exploitation

Great company....need to understand politics

I have been working at Merck Canada

Pros

Well balance career /personal life

Cons

Too much time to advance!

What you say in townhallmeetings IS important so pick your words carefully. That way you will not have surprised faces!,

Big pharma searching for an identity.

I worked at Merck Canada

Pros

A good place to run your territory like your own small business.

Cons

Process heavy. Lots of reporting that does not seem to have a positive affect on bottom line results.

It was good until the Poisoned culture from Schering was brought into the mix.

Former Employee - Senior Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Representative

I worked at Merck Canada

Pros

The 'Merck' People were great.

Cons

The 'Schering' People.

Expect that your job will last only for the next 3 years and be ready to move on at that time.

Get rid of the Schering influence at HO and the company may become great again.

Once proud company shell of fornmer self

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative  in  Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Merck Canada

Pros

Flexibility, work independently, intelectually interesting work, benefits, income potential, comapny vehicle

Cons

Stress, travel, poor morale, downsizing, loss of patent exclusivity. New president unknown in terms of leadership style and ability

Roller coaster

I have been working at Merck Canada

Pros

Salary is in top ten in Industry and has a reputation of having the some of the Top Representatives

Cons

Was once a Company that was employee focused and saw them as an important part of Companies success,now they are a focus of cost reductions instead of upper Management.
    Open Door policy no longer exists

Listen to the people that actually add to the bottom line,Sales is the face of the company and are in touch with there customers,not like Management who PUSH THERE Culture/agenda.
    Once had a reputaion of being in touch with Sales,no longer so.........toooo Bad!

Great Place to work. People, facility and company were great. To bad it is gone

Former Employee - Senior Research Chemist  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Research Chemist in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Merck Canada

Pros

This wasa a great place to work because of the people, the facility, the available research equipment and the quality of work that was produced. Work ethics and efficiency shown by the group was the model dreamed of by the whole company.

Cons

We were not located in the US, so we were considered an off shore site. This was always a challenge for us. We needed to work extra hard to get our ideas accepted by the US sites.

Think about getting back a research group. The canadian site was strong and well respected because of its research and its contribution to the community. I worry that you will not be as strong a company or site without the research group.

Worked for Merck Canada? Contribute to the Community!