Merck

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.2 1,069 reviews

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier

Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions(in 111 reviews)

• Large Company; good benefits; opportunity to learn new preocesses(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was hard due to work overload due to staff reduction(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management is only concerned with how much product goes out the door(in 40 reviews)

1,069 Employee Reviews

Advantages and Disadvantages in working for a large pharmaceutical company!

Lead Executive Specialty Representative (Former Employee)

ProsTraining was strong, and compensation/benefits was on par with other pharmaceutical companies. The current focus on specific therapeutic areas, should make Merck a stronger overall organization.

ConsBecause Merck is so large, navigating systems was difficult. There was not an established Management training program for sales representatives who were interested in management opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leveling system of "Senior Representatives", "Executive Representatives" and "Lead Executive Representatives", is demotivating for strong, tenured reps, who were categorized as "Senior Representatives", and have been given little opportunity to move into one of the higher categories.

Tough

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Lansdale, PA

ProsPay is fair for the job. Consolidation is changing that though. Area located is enjoyable, close to main accessways. Good starting block for a career.

ConsEnviornment is on the decline. Consolidation and leaning of $$ and people making workplace consistantly stressful. Production efficiency is starting to decline as a result, as well as ability to retain work experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to interact with the reality of the business.

Used to be Fortune Magazines #1 Best Company To Work For for 7 years

Vaccine Customer Representative (Former Employee)

ProsUsually first in class with new therapeutic categories, high ethics. Pride in working for this company. Good Benefits and pay.

ConsSeemingly endless work flow. Negative work environment. People were out for themselves in trying to save their jobs. Those left behind were over worked and depressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile there were aggressive objectives to reach, motivating people by negativity and threat of loss of job does not achieve desired results.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Animal Health is a thriving subset of the Big Pharma business.

ProsGood with putting family first. There are many resources available as it is a large company. They tend to promote from within and are very sincere about helping their employees to thrive and succeed.

ConsSometimes there are TOO many checks and balances that are very repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting from within, salaries should be made competitive as if you come from outside, you can make significantly more for the same position.

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthey do encourage work/life balance

Consmanagement stresses they want new, innovative approaches and ideas but does embrace anything new or innovate...fear rules

its disheartening to know layoffs are pending (10k in late 2013) and see the executives taking their helicopters back and forth and to their homes

Advice to Senior Managementask for what you want, instead of making people jump through hoops unncessarily

Good

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent and we do have insurance. The feeling that you are helping provide medicine to those that need it is priceless.

ConsThe employee staff has been cut severely lean to the point of being understaffed. Understaffed + overworked= STRESSFUL

I was only there briefly, formerly of schering-plough

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosseemed really organized. I hate that I was not there longer

ConsNot sure. It seemed ok to me

Advice to Senior Managementnone

No longer the best place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMerck offers various types of training and time off is flexible. When it comes to work-life balance there's no match. Procedures are well documented and tools are available to get your job done.

ConsPromotions are harder to come by and health benefits keep costing more but you get less. Leadership has changed dramatically and direction of company is unkown. Morale is low due to downsizing and outsourcing. Employees overworked.

Disappointing

Analyst (Former Employee) Lansdale, PA

ProsFlexible work arrangements, many on site services, decent health care benefits but not sure how long that will last

ConsConstant fear of layoffs, those who aren't laid off get more to do
    If you are salaried, no such thing as overtime OR a 40 hour work week. You are expected to work 50 hours + plus check in on nights and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk don't just talk the talk. Very hard to swallow travel cuts when the company helicopter continues to fly almost daily.

Great coworkers, irresponsible executives

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Summit, NJ

ProsGreat company to work for. The only company that I have worked at since graduating from graduate school. It is rewarding to work for this company with a great mission. Brilliant coworkers to work with.

ConsExecutives have been making irresponsible decisions failing the company, but ending in laying off thousands of hardworking exeperienced workers to recover the money lost by their decisions. Middle managers follow the same trend of making nonsense decisions.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!