Merck

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.2 1,066 reviews

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier

Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions(in 111 reviews)

• Large Company; good benefits; opportunity to learn new preocesses(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was hard due to work overload due to staff reduction(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management is only concerned with how much product goes out the door(in 40 reviews)

1,066 Employee Reviews

Used to be Fortune Magazines #1 Best Company To Work For for 7 years

Vaccine Customer Representative (Former Employee)

ProsUsually first in class with new therapeutic categories, high ethics. Pride in working for this company. Good Benefits and pay.

ConsSeemingly endless work flow. Negative work environment. People were out for themselves in trying to save their jobs. Those left behind were over worked and depressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile there were aggressive objectives to reach, motivating people by negativity and threat of loss of job does not achieve desired results.

Animal Health is a thriving subset of the Big Pharma business.

ProsGood with putting family first. There are many resources available as it is a large company. They tend to promote from within and are very sincere about helping their employees to thrive and succeed.

ConsSometimes there are TOO many checks and balances that are very repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen promoting from within, salaries should be made competitive as if you come from outside, you can make significantly more for the same position.

Good

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent and we do have insurance. The feeling that you are helping provide medicine to those that need it is priceless.

ConsThe employee staff has been cut severely lean to the point of being understaffed. Understaffed + overworked= STRESSFUL

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthey do encourage work/life balance

Consmanagement stresses they want new, innovative approaches and ideas but does embrace anything new or innovate...fear rules

its disheartening to know layoffs are pending (10k in late 2013) and see the executives taking their helicopters back and forth and to their homes

Advice to Senior Managementask for what you want, instead of making people jump through hoops unncessarily

No longer the best place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMerck offers various types of training and time off is flexible. When it comes to work-life balance there's no match. Procedures are well documented and tools are available to get your job done.

ConsPromotions are harder to come by and health benefits keep costing more but you get less. Leadership has changed dramatically and direction of company is unkown. Morale is low due to downsizing and outsourcing. Employees overworked.

Disappointing

Analyst (Former Employee) Lansdale, PA

ProsFlexible work arrangements, many on site services, decent health care benefits but not sure how long that will last

ConsConstant fear of layoffs, those who aren't laid off get more to do
    If you are salaried, no such thing as overtime OR a 40 hour work week. You are expected to work 50 hours + plus check in on nights and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk don't just talk the talk. Very hard to swallow travel cuts when the company helicopter continues to fly almost daily.

Great coworkers, irresponsible executives

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Summit, NJ

ProsGreat company to work for. The only company that I have worked at since graduating from graduate school. It is rewarding to work for this company with a great mission. Brilliant coworkers to work with.

ConsExecutives have been making irresponsible decisions failing the company, but ending in laying off thousands of hardworking exeperienced workers to recover the money lost by their decisions. Middle managers follow the same trend of making nonsense decisions.

"We're Merck . . . we've always done it this way"

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, products and work-life balance.

ConsToo big to make changes, too many politics; employees are completely dispensable.
    It isn't what you know or what you've done -- it's WHO you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open-minded to suggestions. Don't assume because that's the way Merck always did it things that it's the right way to do them moving forward.
    Care more about the employees.

Figuring out how to exist

Associate Marketing Director (Former Employee) North Wales, PA

ProsClassically trained Marketers come out of Merck, if you were there before Schering Merger. Good example of how to market primary care products. If you are on the "A" list of talent, you have opportunity. Trying to figure out how to play in a world where there are not always blockbusters

ConsHorrible Morale; constant layoffs; NOT a good place to be to learn about Oncology Marketing; R&D is not set up to really be a leader if drug development for specialty or oncology products. Highly beaureacratic. Somewhat political

Dismal Morale

ProsLarge Pharmaceutical Company & Easy to Transfer Internally

ConsLeadership and Company Culture is not ideal

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!