Merck

Merck Reviews in New Jersey

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier

Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions (in 112 reviews)

• Large Company; good benefits; opportunity to learn new preocesses (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was hard due to work overload due to staff reduction (in 27 reviews)

• Upper management is only concerned with how much product goes out the door (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights
261 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience

Project Manager (Current Employee) Rahway, NJ

Prosnice work-life balance; nice culture

Consupper management seems confused; jobs get eliinated

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Company, has a good future, aims to look after employees,

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ

ProsFlexibility, job opportunty, work from home, good levels of training, ability to move between roles and parts of the organization. Ability to build new skills

ConsSalary, does not keep track with outside market for current employees, healthcare and benifits are reducing though still at market norm to low for sector.. Will pay to bring in new talent..

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Company invested in it's employees and great career growth.

Project Chemist (Former Employee) Rahway, NJ

ProsThe organization has a great sense of pride and identity which drives it's employees to work together.

ConsLocation. I personally enjoy warmer climates. Unfortunately, Merck does not have sites in the southwest.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good until 2 years ago

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ

ProsCompensation is reasonable based on industry standards

ConsIT support team is no longer a valued core asset of the company

Great learning environment, some annoying power struggles and power plays usually from the small-minded

Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Kenilworth, NJ

ProsAs a contractor, I was fortunate to have a Manager and teams that were willing to teach me about the Clinical Trials process and procedures. I received a lot of ad hoc projects, so my work was very diversified. As an Admin, I need that; I get bored quickly. Very collaborative environment, information shared freely, which made doing one's job much easier. I supported 2 teams, and both of my Managers and their teams were excellent.

ConsOnce Schering Plough became Merck, and the integration of the Merck staff began, I noticed that communications regarding changes in policies was not shared freely from Upper Management. My question was always, "How can I be compliant if I am unaware of the rules?" The woman who became my supervisor demonstrated this more than most. She would go around me to others for hours, rather than ask me, and ultimately she did have to come back to me for help. I always let her know that I was more than willing to assist her. It should have been easy; we sat next to one another. Prior to her joining the group, we operated as a team to complete projects. She fostered the Us vs. Them mentality. Contractors are the Them and were fed information piecemeal, if at all. It made no sense, and created unnecessary strain. The only thing I could think was that she was insecure, and came very close to telling her, she had nothing to fear from me, I did not want her job. Never wanted, was content with the one I was doing.

There were others there who had a little power and wielded it viciously at times. Those are the small-minded ones who need to be ignored. There was some in-fighting, which usually did not affect me. I steered clear of it when I could. Mostly, they were good people, however the politics could be an annoyance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny time HR Policies are changed, all employees and contract staff need to be notified in order for them to be compliant. Keeping it a secret is counterproductive.

Crack down on workplace bullying--it's unnecessary. Two unsuccessful attempts were made on me, and they did not work, nor were they repeated.

Employee morale is low and there si a finger pointing environment there.

Associate Director (Former Employee) Summit, NJ

ProsGood salary and able to move among defferent department jobs

ConsDeflated morale among employees; repeated layoffs or severances.

Good company for research

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Rahway, NJ

ProsIf your position in the company is research, your job is more secure than most in the company.

ConsI had worked for their IT department was laid off several due to downsizing. If the position is not part of the core business, your position can be eliminated sooner rather than later. It was quite difficult to move within their IT department.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo much change is happening and the tight knit culture and community within has been torn apart.

Just like Pfizer: Being overrun with immigrants.

Web Administrator (Former Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ

ProsGreat place to work if you are an IT professional who wants someday to be replaced by cheap, immigrant labor (CIL), to wit, someone who holds one of these visas: H-1B, L-1, TN-1, B-1, B-2, H-4, etc.

ConsIf you are an IT professional, you shall likely be laid off eventually, as Merck's management is determined to replace all American-born, IT professionals (ABITP's) with CIL.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have some advice for Merck's management: Just keep replacing ABITP's with CIL. That way, you are helping to swell the ranks of Occupy Wall Street (OWS) with unemployed, deeply resentful Americans.

Used to be so great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ

ProsGreat history, great diversity in employee population, time to spend doing volunteer work, great headquarter location & building

ConsLeaving great location putting many legacy Merck people at challenge for commute (1.5-2hr each way); senior leadership talks the talk but does not execute; employee morale is terrible; good people leaving the company for other opportunities; cutting costs by taking basics from employees (including heat & air conditioning reductions to the point of distraction) while leadership wastes money; company under constant change giving impression that leadership doesn't know what it's doing; leadership positions being filled externally rather than from within (indicative of poor talent management and development)

Advice to Senior ManagementWas once a company focused on putting patients first and valuing employees, Merck stock and shareholder value was high then; stop being penny wise and pound foolish, invest in your employees they are what can make this company great again

Standards

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rahway, NJ

ProsChallenging work, incredible learning opportunities, colleagues make the day easier. Structures for tasks are distributed well and consistency is ensured through many processes of the workstream.

ConsMoral is low due to the pressures of absorbing multiple job roles due to the reduction in employees. During this integration era, a lot is expected to be learned and a lot is expected to be unlearned and refocused on top of the normal work day while ensuring the normal day to day activities are not missed. People are expected to absorb these additional job roles within their already full time job roles creating a stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the impact of the additional work on the current employees and consider the pay that is lacking with the absorption. I realize times are tight but the added stress is really giving people a hard attitude toward the company. Perhaps rewards be given for this recognition. People need to be acknowledged for their doubled and tripled efforts.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!