Merck

3.2
1,255 Reviews

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier
Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions (in 123 reviews)

• Good benefits and still have a pension program in addition to the 401k (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was hard due to work overload due to staff reduction (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management take care of each other creating the perception of insularity (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

1 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good company

Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Merck full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people with a focus on the science, and a can do attitude that get projects from "well can this work?" to a final answer. Also, business decisions made by management are implemented quickly, and efficiently with a view towards practicality and reasonableness. Also, the management team explains the purpose of their decisions and what the expected outcome for the company is intended. Top-to-down communication from management team is, in my experience, unparalleled and I know what was going on in other parts of the company on a day to day basis.

Cons

The demand for data is so driving that many of our project due dates seemed to be due the day before we received the project of which always put a great deal of pressure to produce hard data fast which can and did lead to mistakes which caused delays.
    Also, though upper management was very good at information distribution, local management wasn't as forthcoming and so often times we knew what was going on in the greater company more than we did in our own site.
    The last is that unless you have a Ph.D. career advancement opportunities at this company are minimal.

Communication is fantastic from upper management, but local management needs to improve their communication distribution to the same level