Merck

195 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

McDonald's University Managers

Publications (Former Employee)
    Lansdale, PA

Prosflex time and good pay

ConsThey suck the life out of you and reimburse you with a severence check or horrible manager. Managers are permitted to do whatever they want to achieve goals. They are not monitored how they treat employees. Most employee's end up in therapy or with medication necessary to make it through life at Merck.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement training from the ground up. You trained your employees, what about yourselves.

Excellent learning experience for an early career engineer.

Associate Engineer (Current Employee)

Proscompensation is competitive
    retirement benefits are very good
    incredibly bright and talented work force

Consaggressive cost cutting has caused the deterioration of the work environment and a work force that is no longer engaged... very few people really care any more.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither learn more about the businesses you manage or empower those who do know more. I understand the need for cost cutting, but it feels like its being done with no real strategy and a very limited understanding of the effects it will have on the business.

15 years at Merck

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    West Point, PA

ProsPay, benefits, can take certain courses for further education if they are in your current field, in general felxable schudules are accomadated.

ConsDecisions take so long because have to go through so many approvals, viewed as just a number not a valuable employee, clueless Sr Management and poor research decisions. Favor PhD employees over associate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter last reorganization, all the same Sr management was kept, they are the same group that ruined Merck Research to begin with so know one understands why they were all kept.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was neutral. I worked under a supervisor for some clinical-related method research

Graduate Fellow (Former Employee)
    North Wales, PA

ProsIt has good work-life balance. Most employees are allowed to work one day per week at home. Like most big pharma, it is well organized and offers steady growth opportunities.

ConsThe stay at the company may be unstable. Seems to undergo downsizing recently.

My experience at Merck was a beneficial one. It was filled with a fast-paced, friendly and comfortable environment.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    North Wales, PA

ProsThe employee benefits are a great perk! The friendly atmosphere is always what people remember about Merck, it's the people!

ConsAt times, career growth can be hauled with processes constantly changing from one day to the next, without room to adhere to the original process change.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has always played a key role at Merck and always will, they bring with them a wide-variety of knowledge, some of the best doctors in the World!

Good company, great people. Strugglling industry and the company needs to find innovative ways to be successful.

Senior Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Lansdale, PA

ProsGood products and strong mission. An ethical company with great benefits and compensation. Open to flexible work arrangements, work from home and job shares. Also great maternity benefits.

ConsSlow to move and adapt. Lots of layers that need to make decisions. Mediocre middle management. Little investment in leadership development. Company is not in growth mode so limited opportunities for advancement. Lots of downsizing.

I enjoyed working at Merck until my department was OUTSOURCED to India. Seems to be the trend.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsWork life balance. Good Salary

ConsTOO much management not enough workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you outsource your employees, guess what? You get cut too!

Horrible Company to Work for

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Lansdale, PA

ProsPay was above average before the Schering Plough merger in 2009 but now everything from benefits to employee morale has plummeted. Steer way clear of this disaster.

ConsHuman Resources has been incompetent since I started there 8 years ago. Accidentally received an e-mail saying that I wasn't being brought on board because my wife was pregnant. They were real quick to offer me a position after that mistake.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a huge disconnect between upper management and the rest of the workforce. Your inability to engage your employees has led to what can only be considered an epic failure of almost all objectives over the last 5 years. Don't let the increasing stock price fool you. It'll just lead to a longer, harder plummet down.

Once proud now the worst company to work for.

Complaint Specialist (Former Employee)
    West Point, PA

ProsWhen I was in high school there was no other pharmaceutical company, Merck shined so much brighter than the rest. Now I can't think of one positive thing to write about it.

ConsEverything. State your opinion and get punished. Do what they ask you to do and move to a different department and they punish you for not learning fast enough. Don't work 80 hr work weeks and they punish you for not being more of a leader. There is no moral any longer. Everyone there is demoralized and defeated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. Learn that your people were always your greatest asset. Treat them that way.

Gaining a lot of experience with years.

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
    Lansdale, PA

ProsLarge company. used to have a lot of opportunities

ConsCould be too large and bureaucratic, all the lay offs make people crazy and not really a good environment to work in. A lot of restructuring all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing they can do, everything comes down to them from far above.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merck reviews and ratings in Philadelphia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merck CEO Kenneth C. Frazier. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Merck employees.