Merck

3.2 1,052 reviews

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier

Kenneth C. Frazier

1,052 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions"
    in 102 reviews
  • "Large Company; good benefits; opportunity to learn new preocesses"
    in 82 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees who do not have work life balance tend to be rewarded"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Upper management is only concerned with how much product goes out the door"
    in 39 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Constant fear of layoffs

Research Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood Pay, upper management does not listen to employees and subject experts

ConsBad managers, layoff threats, constant changes in direction with no follow through

My experience was great!

Senior Scientist (Former Employee)
    West Point, PA

ProsThe company values, compensations and office culture were great. Merck did a great job with employee development and life balancing programs.

ConsImprovements would be fair employee promotions. It appeared that if they wanted to promote you, they would. If not, they wouldn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart holding executive level employees more accountable for not reaching company's goals instead of placing the blame on non-executive level employees whom are simply following the directions of upper management.

Standards

Rahway, NJ

ProsChallenging work, incredible learning opportunities, colleagues make the day easier. Structures for tasks are distributed well and consistency is ensured through many processes of the workstream.

ConsMoral is low due to the pressures of absorbing multiple job roles due to the reduction in employees. During this integration era, a lot is expected to be learned and a lot is expected to be unlearned and refocused on top of the normal work day while ensuring the normal day to day activities are not missed. People are expected to absorb these additional job roles within their already full time job roles creating a stressful environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the impact of the additional work on the current employees and consider the pay that is lacking with the absorption. I realize times are tight but the added stress is really giving people a hard attitude toward the company. Perhaps rewards be given for this recognition. People need to be acknowledged for their doubled and tripled efforts.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interview at Merck as a Director in Regulatory

Director (Former Employee)
    West Point, PA

ProsMerck is a very solid company. The interview process is very intense. I was interviewed by 2 big group in 2 different site for two full days. It went well.

ConsSeems very formal with many hierarchy. I was interviewed by many VPs in RA department and in clinical department

You get what you put in

ProsFlexible work life balance and good pay/benefits

ConsPolitical culture can be hard to navigate

Lifetime employee

Director Global Regulatory Affairs (Current Employee)
    West Point, PA

ProsTrue belief in manufacture of safe and high quality products. Huge variety of opportunities, if you can't find a position you enjoy then you really must be in the wrong business. The people care about what they do, most will run through a brick-wall to get the job done.

ConsSalary is below average. Policy for promotions is too restrictive, and the headcount reductions are straining the remaining employees to an unhealthy level.

Scientific excellence and depth, plus bureaucracy

Associate Director, IT (Former Employee)

ProsThe science and the scientists at Merck are top notch, and in Merck Research Labs the shared mission is palpable and energizing. Compensation and benefits are quite good, and in my department work life balance was excellent with very flexible work hours.

ConsLike all pharma, Merck is searching for the magic organizational formula for successful drug discovery and development. That path is painful and at times demotivating. On a smaller scale the same thing is happening in IT: a quest to find the right level of agility.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in research and resist Wall Street's pressure to do otherwise for short term "benefit". Maintain the existing high bar for scientific excellence.

15 years stay the same

Owners Representative (Former Employee)

ProsPay excellent for area, projects were cutting edge and new technologies brought with it the ability to learn new tool and skill sets

Conslow and mid level management personnel so job scared they could not or would not engage upper managment in cost cutting and saving measures

Animal Health rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge portfolio to sell, pay was fair although there was a lot of variance. Benefit package was great.

ConsNew leadership putting too much emphasis on single product line.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting so much emphasis on flea/tick. Give reg mgrs more freedom.

Quality and Ethics driven corporation, personally and professionally rewarding

ProsBright, friendly, ambitious colleagues. Great culture and benefits

ConsNew management team is in transition.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the culture of camaraderie.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Merck reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Merck CEO Kenneth C. Frazier. All 1,052 reviews posted anonymously by Merck employees.