Merck

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.2 1,068 reviews

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier

Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions(in 111 reviews)

• Large Company; good benefits; opportunity to learn new preocesses(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was hard due to work overload due to staff reduction(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management is only concerned with how much product goes out the door(in 40 reviews)

1,068 Employee Reviews

Excellent people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) North Wales, PA

ProsMerck employs very smart, very hard working people.

Consthere is little chance for promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career pathwyas and better ways of rewarding employees

Satisfied long time employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and learning experiences.

ConsCompany changing with the times (as is all pharma)

my experience at Merck has been a good experience, learned thing i never thought I would have learned before.

Merck/Ess (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosthat you get to network and meet all types of peolpe and learn new things that could take you any were

Consif you work for a contractor just hope its the right one

Advice to Senior Managementto have a say so of what the contractors get paid because you get what you pay for

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

ProsCompensation and environment are good

ConsNothing is that bad, everyone can grow

Great Company, has a good future, aims to look after employees,

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Whitehouse Station, NJ

ProsFlexibility, job opportunty, work from home, good levels of training, ability to move between roles and parts of the organization. Ability to build new skills

ConsSalary, does not keep track with outside market for current employees, healthcare and benifits are reducing though still at market norm to low for sector.. Will pay to bring in new talent..

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Strong, but not stellar

Specialty Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat Specialty pipeline, still has a positive work environment in most divisions

ConsUpward mobility is extremely difficult at the moment due to wide industry contraction.

Great Company, but challenging times.

ProsLot's of opportunity, especially in the West Point region where Manufacturing, Research and Commercial organizations reside. Great people with great diversity. I've always felt Merck is truly patient focused and runs the business accordingly.

ConsMerck is 'paying' for years of silo'd operation and high cost structure. Going through continued realignment and separations as the company looks to reduce cost.

My experience was great!

Senior Scientist (Former Employee) West Point, PA

ProsThe company values, compensations and office culture were great. Merck did a great job with employee development and life balancing programs.

ConsImprovements would be fair employee promotions. It appeared that if they wanted to promote you, they would. If not, they wouldn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart holding executive level employees more accountable for not reaching company's goals instead of placing the blame on non-executive level employees whom are simply following the directions of upper management.

Interview at Merck as a Director in Regulatory

Director (Former Employee) West Point, PA

ProsMerck is a very solid company. The interview process is very intense. I was interviewed by 2 big group in 2 different site for two full days. It went well.

ConsSeems very formal with many hierarchy. I was interviewed by many VPs in RA department and in clinical department

You get what you put in

ProsFlexible work life balance and good pay/benefits

ConsPolitical culture can be hard to navigate

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!