Merck

3.2
1,210 Reviews

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier
Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions (in 123 reviews)

• Good benefits and still have a pension program in addition to the 401k (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was hard due to work overload due to staff reduction (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management take care of each other creating the perception of insularity (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Merck review

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Large company, many resources available

Cons

Job security is constantly at risk due to reorganization

Good starting place for career, longevity requires patience

Former Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Merck full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First of all, Merck is a fantastic place to launch you career. You get exposed to the good and bad at working at a Fortune 500 company.

Cons

As you move into the middle management layer, things get very political, there are a lot of alliances. To be successful you have to be wary of the connections and navigate the politics.

Have a vision of where the company is going! It seems like there's a new initiative every year when management hasn't pulled through the previous big initiative yet.

Fair volatile

I have been working at Merck

Pros

The Compensation plan is broad

Cons

Job security is always a concern

Change metrics to better assess employee value

Union Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Union Administrative in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Union Administrative in North Wales, PA

I worked at Merck full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working environment is like most other companies ... supported a great group of managers and associate directors. A lot of work on our plates with headcount reduction, never a dull moment. Loved the gym, cafeteria and daily vendors.

Cons

It's a great place to work as long as your badge lets you in - the culture of worrying about our jobs is getting old.

Great people who really care

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Rahway, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Rahway, NJ

I have been working at Merck full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone pulls their weight and is very knowledgeable on what they do.

Cons

Nothing too out of the ordinary, just a lot of work like other businesses

Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Representative Animal Health
    Former Employee - Sales Representative Animal Health

I worked at Merck full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training; values employees; although the animal health division was just acquired when in territory, I felt it was valued tremendously. Excellent upper management who was always there to answer any questions or bounce ideas off of. Although I was a little fish in a big pond, I always felt valued and respected as an employee.

Cons

The only challenges (which were very minor) were position/ territory based. Can't say anything negative about the company as a whole.

Specialty and Executive Customer Representative for Merck

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Merck full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, pay and co-workers. Adequate training and provided with latest technology to support sales efforts always provided.

Cons

Lay - offs for the last 6 years leaving less sales force to do the same amount of work. Work life balance is out of balance. Opportunity for growth only occurs if manager likes you.

It is sad to see what has become of our former science driven sales force. Our company has become so bound up in regulation that we cannot discuss products and disease in a meaningful, clinical way with reprints the way we used to. Despite the courage to speak up environment that is encouraged, we are afraid to say what we really feel for fear of retaliation by management.

Great people, in bit of a down cycle right now

Current Employee - Customer Team Leader
    Current Employee - Customer Team Leader

I have been working at Merck full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people, for the most part, are very high quality, hard working, ethical folks. I have made many good, true friends there over the years. People care about what they are doing, believe in the company and the products.

Cons

For folks in field positions, the career growth opportunities can be limited. If you want to move 'up' you basically have to move to PA (HQ) at some point. Access to customers is getting more challenging, and that's with good products. Not a Merck thing, it's an industry thing. As with most jobs, your work life depends on your manager.

Treat folks like adults during times of change and uncertainty. No surprises would be a good rule to follow. Also, plan ahead for layoffs, hiring freezes. We've had some strange, 'get rid of folks' and then 'hire them back' situations which appear unplanned and amateurish.

Strong pipeline, High integrity & corporate values....challenging industry - must find way to differentiate itself.

I have been working at Merck full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate mission / vision, values and strategic intent is clear, credible and compelling as evidenced in product pipeline and priority focus areas. Corporate policies (e.g. benefits, work / life balance) and organizational talent management processes well defined - new compensation framework circa 2012.

Cons

Organizations struggle with how to execute - without getting in their own way via elongated decision making, consensus building (not just alignment building which is a necessary business tactic), conflict avoidance, performance management avoidance, communications from top to middle to first line often gets lost or misinterpreted through that pipeline, lack of prudent risk taking. There is still an element of passive aggressiveness that exists though it has tempered somewhat over the years with corporate trainings for transparent communications. Lack of effective change management implementation.

Assess manager competencies to truly LEAD teams effectively through change, focusing on changes in actions and behaviors required to affect desired outcome, to develop talent and performance manage individuals who are not a good fit, to inspire talent to reach their potential, RATHER THAN than just manage people through tasks and activities. Hold Leaders accountable for their performance at all levels to demonstrate commitment to talent. Ensure execution and pull through of corporate strategies are well aligned throughout organizations RATHER THAN ignoring and allowing leaders to focus on their individual silo performance. Continually reinvigorate prudent risk taking to install in cultural DNA of organization. Remove barriers and excessive processes which do not meet business or customer needs and only slow decision making and ability to drive business value.

Gets in its own way.

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Merck full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People try, hopeful for change, but management isn't equipped to enable it. (and that's my "pro")

Cons

Merger with Schering-Plough after 5+ years is still lingering with an "us"/"them" perspective. For new employees, beware of the "this is how we've always done it" approach, even though management purports the opposite. Proof that just because it's in a powerpoint deck doesn't make it so.

Board needs to clean house.