Merck Reviews

3.1
1,151 Reviews

Merck President & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier
Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Great work-life balance with opportunities to work from home in most positions (in 119 reviews)

• Good benefits and still have a pension program in addition to the 401k (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was hard due to work overload due to staff reduction (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management take care of each other creating the perception of insularity (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

science driven company

Current Employee - Chemist  in  Rahway, NJ
    Current Employee - Chemist in Rahway, NJ

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good benefits, good people, excellent work environment...state of art equipment.

Cons

BAD MANAGEMENT WHICH HAS TO GO and bring Merck to what it us to be 10 years ago!!!!

LEAVE!!!! You are not good to MERCK!!!

Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive, flexible environment. Access to braod range of scients who were open and interactive. Was also allowed to attend company sponsored software training.

Cons

The biggest drawback was what seemed to be a lack of background research/preparation for the project. the research area seems to have been new to the group and the project was not novel which presented many limitations

Good place for co-ops

Former Employee - Project Engineering Co-Op  in  West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Project Engineering Co-Op in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, has cafeteria and gym for recreation

Cons

Limited job opportunities for new hires; jobs for co-ops after graduation aren't available

More job opportunities are needed!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better Rethink Merck

I have been working at Merck

Pros

Some benefits. Cut down to "lousy benefits"

Cons

Cut down on Education assistance. Now YOU pay for it and they reimburse a portion. Management is total corrupt (matter of time before someone sues) and good performance is only rewarded with more work unless you have a "buddy". But... That's Corp today.

If you are desperate, Merck is good. Otherwise go else where.

Find another job.

Very disappointing.

Former Employee - Vaccine Representative  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Vaccine Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

the friends you make alone the way.

Cons

Poor pipeline. No opportunity to grow. decreasing pay. very poor corporate decision makers.

complete overhaul at the top!

Great benefits, top talent, good work/life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Merck is stable company in which to work, comfortable environment. It is functional and family friendly. Some ability to travel the world

Cons

Merck has been downsizing lately. Non corporate sites could take years for your career to advance. Banding and levels mark your salary ranges

Get site count/ headcount under control. Let employees know you are investing in their future.

merck

I have been working at Merck

Pros

company has Good Benefits plan

Cons

dont see much future propects

Was great as schering plough but

Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor  in  Kenilworth, NJ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Kenilworth, NJ

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay was good but after Merck took over morale took a nose five

Cons

A lot of cuts to manufacturing and nj distribution which had one if the larger warehouse for the co.

Too Many Good People Quit or are Walked Out.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor/Facilitator  in  West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor/Facilitator in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoyed the feeling that I was part of such an important process (Pediatric Vaccines Production).

Cons

Back-stabbing constant, too much focus on LGBT safety (we are professionals, your personal sexual preference has no place being discussed at work) with "safe zones" marked by green triangle with pink circle stickers... Diversity is a wonderful thing, now let's get over making such a big deal of it and do our job.
    Locked in Supervisor position with no advancement for multiple years, all while being a highly rated, dependable and competent Supervisor. trained "new" Supervisors that were given higher salary and better title, all while I was given a low performance rating (and new hires you are training are rated at the top tier of the same scale I was rated against)... In 6 years, went through three Area Heads, (this in itself kept most in our department from getting promoted), while competing and stable positioned Area Head lead departments within our same building had promoted most of their staff over the same period. Third Area Head was my undoing... He hired replacement supervisors on all shifts that we (supervisors that were stuck in this department during a job freeze over three years) spent time training, while being told by one of them (a bratty silver spoon kid fresh out of college with an attitude) that the new Area Heads' goal is to have only one supervisor per shift (In a department that filled over a billion dollars of marketable product per year)... My comment with this severe overworked and understaffed ethic was that I just hope I am not the "lucky one" left. Saw many good Supervisors quit or were let go after being overworked to the point of making a crucial mistake... In which as a Supervisor, there is no mercy from above. On the contrary, if you are a union employee, there is a culture of forgiveness, even after multiple gross acts of negligence.

The best thing you can do for an under appreciated supervisor in production is to actively engage them and offer them growth through allowing them to transfer to other areas when they feel they need a change (within their expertise) so they can be more effective as a cross-functional leader (and the new group of union employees you are responsible for will give you a better chance of being an effective and growing leader). All that being said, I left (quit) under extreme pressure and duress during a very stress induced time (after being told by new Area Head that I am not allowed to internally apply for open jobs that were open to others within and anybody "off the street" (to get out of department without having to ultimately quit). It is too late for me, but there are still good people there that are needlessly under appreciated and overworked while not having the support of their Area Heads, Managers, and Directors. I enjoyed what I physically contributed, and worked with many good union and non-union people, but did not appreciate the cut-throat culture of making people (us) do anything they can (at the expense of others) to look good. Inclusiveness was the big word of the day, but it couldn't be more exclusive (when I finally quit).

Poor management throughout, no leadership, incredibly low moral, and blatent favoritism

I have been working at Merck full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Merck holds itself at incredibly high standards for quality. If a product is manufactured by Merck, you can bet it is quality.

The mission is one about the patients. The company may be heading in a good direction.

The 401K match is a nice perk, though there are better matches at other pharma companies. Tuition reimbursement, while not as good as it once was, is still available.

Cons

The leadership in this company is virtually non-existent. Merck strives to push their leadership behaviors, though the company consists of lackluster managers rather than actual leaders. Low-level managers (As. Director/ Director) demonstrate a facade to their management to try and assert their 'worth', yet, do not produce positive results.

Morale is incredibly low due to the poor leadership and the restructuring process. Merck is doing nothing to try and keep high performers. Members of high performing teams are not recognized because those who are favored by management are given the credit and promoted without a second thought.

Promotions were said to be on 'hold', yet, those who have managers willing to fight for them are compensated fairly. Managers are very blatant about blocking you from moving onto other jobs within the company. These are the same managers that breech confidentiality without a blink of an eye.

Merck is putting all of their eggs in two baskets with a couple late phase drugs. Even with a successful launch of both, the outlook for this company isn't good. Do we really think morale will turnaround and Merck will compensate their employees fairly once they start making their money back? Good luck everyone.

I would advise senior leadership to go to your ground level employees and request feedback on lower level management. We should be a company that strives for high quality leadership and not lackluster management. Make an actual effort to keep you high performing employees instead of losing them to other companies.

Worked for Merck? Contribute to the Community!