Merck Sharp & Dohme

Updated September 30, 2014
3.3

Merck Sharp & Dohme Chairman of the Board, President, & CEO Kenneth C. Frazier
Kenneth C. Frazier

Pros
  • Work/life balance and flexible working arrangements (in 11 reviews)

• Good salary good benefits good direct management (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management seem erratic sometimes with projects being shipped out a lot (in 6 reviews)

• Therefore job security is not the best feature here (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A lot of self-driven training

Current Employee - Bio-Process Technician  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Bio-Process Technician in Durham, NC

I have been working at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allows you to grow at your own pace.

Cons

No feedback when applying for different jobs and you don't get them.

Give feedback on performance often

OK

I have been working at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time

Pros

good pay, nice people, good publications

Cons

slow career growth for PhD scientists

Low morale and unpredictable work environment

I have been working at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time

Pros

Flexible work arrangements including telecommuting options.

Cons

The culture does not inspire morale nor loyalty. Example, the performance evaluation program (determines next year's pay increases and bonuses) would be comparable to gladiators in a ring. Whoever is left standing is the victor. Those who are perceived to have the most value are rewarded according to a differentiation scale which managers/directors have to battle it out in a differentiation meeting. Example 25% of employees will be received high rating, 50% receive average, and 25% receive low rating. Employees could be rated in the lowest 5-10% performance category even though they met all their performance goals and objectives because there is a limited number of positions available to fit in the higher categories.

The company conducts annual employee surveys where the employees give their opinion and feed back on management, their perception of the company, how they feel about their work environment etc. The final overall company rating is linked to employee compensation. Basically, if employees give a 75% rating then they get 75% of the target bonus. If the rating is 25%, then they get 25% of their target bonus. The better rating you give, the more of the target bonus is given. The worse the rating, the less the target bonus is given.

Unprofessional behavior by some managers and directors such as belittling and yelling at their subordinates in front of other colleagues is looked over. This is largely due that there is no longer a visible HR presence. In past years, HR was a building away. Now, you have to call a toll free number to reach a benefit service center to discuss HR matters. The other pathway is to express your concerns about your management thru 360 feedback on your management. It does not appear to lead to resolution but only more resentment/passive aggressive retaliation when the manager or director reads the feedback.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Primary Care

Current Employee - Primary Care
    Current Employee - Primary Care

I have been working at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the people you work with are great overall, with a few exceptions. The job is pretty easy as long as you stay in front of your customers.

Cons

The quality of managers remaining are pretty weak. They are robots, no out of the box thinkers or innovators. Upper management is also lacking any innovation. the pipeline is very weak and does not look promising.

Excellent working environment where the employees are provided with the technology and resources to succeed.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Juan, PR

I worked at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is driven into promoting a fast paced but well balanced work load. The benefits they provide their employees are excellent and allow for personal growth within the company if you are willing to give it your 100%.

Cons

Make sure you negotiate your salary and benefits up front. Might take longer than expected to grow within the company but once you prove yourself the opportunities are there.

Management should promote a better communication with employees regardless of their field of expertise.

The good outweighs the bad.

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Current Employee - Specialist in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I have been working at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Pensions
    - Great People
    - Great Network
    - Flexible Work/Life Balance

Cons

- Low yearly raises <3%
    - Compensation not as great as the 90s
    - Beauracracy
    - People who create problems are more rewarded than those utilize simplicity to avoid them.

- Be Transparent about your mission. People are not your biggest asset...shareholders are...be honest about that. we're adults, we can handle it.
    - The compensation structure needs to improve, bottom line.

QC

I worked at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty good benefits, reasonable management,

Cons

Overall ok. Not too much con.

Director, Learning & Development

Current Employee - Director  in  Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I have been working at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work hours, telework, physical menities

Cons

A company without clear and focused direction; repeated waves of layoffs; too many initiatives running parallel and concurrently.

Listen to your employees - they know the way to get things done. Break down the walls of bureaucracy and militaristic hierarchy. Create an open door policy and walk the talk.

Used to be a great place to work but employee care and health benefits are going down hill.

Current Employee - Bio-Process Technician  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Bio-Process Technician in Durham, NC

I have been working at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training systems in place.

Cons

Bosses buddies are getting promoted even though they are low performers.

The company is not the same since the Schering/Merck merger; they are working hard to hold on to legacy reputations.

Former Employee - Associate Principal Scientist  in  West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Principal Scientist in West Point, PA

I worked at Merck Sharp & Dohme full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was fortunate to have my MS degree sponsored by the department. I believe this will help me advance in my career. I worked at Merck for 15+ years the compensation was good, however benefits have eroded. They still have a pension plan and 401K.

Cons

Today at Merck, I do not believe they want to retain employees long term. They do treat you well while you are there, however, it seems you are rewarded if you jump jobs every 2-3 years. This presents a problem when working on product development that may take 3,5, or 10 years. With people constantly changing positions and leaving the company there are few people who have the full institutional knowledge.

When I joined the company, the culture was based on a George Merck quote, "remember the medicine is for the people, the profits will follow". I admired this standard. This translated into a business driven by scientific and medical need. Today, post merger, so many decisions seem to be driven by profits. I can understand the business spin given for each decision. As a scientist, I do not admire this standard. Time will tell if the 'profits will follow'.

Merck Sharp & Dohme Photos

Merck - people centered

+ Add Photo

Worked for Merck Sharp & Dohme? Contribute to the Community!