Mercury General Reviews

Reset
2.7
Mercury General President, CEO, and Director Gabriel Tirador
Gabriel Tirador

Pros
  • I was impressed with the Christmas bonus which is equal to one paycheck (in 12 reviews)

• Decent pay for the way the economy is right now, great benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no formal training and massive workload (in 3 reviews)

• They are constantly looking for the next easy way to improve customer service, instead of doing the right thing (in 4 reviews)

1. Claims examiner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

Pros

Great people and friendly environment.

Cons

Average salary and lay offs.

Claims Supervisor

Current Employee - Claims Supervisor
    Current Employee - Claims Supervisor

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits - paid sick time and vacation time. Bonuses 2X's a year are wonderful. Co-workers are generally nice and fun to work with.

Cons

If you are a motivated worker and produce great numbers, you are rewarded with more work! High volume of workload and every department is understaffed. As stated in other reviews, management is disconnected from the actual work process. Everything is based on numerical and production reports.

Advice to Management

We are not monkeys. We are people just like you. If you would like us to be better employees by sending us to training classes and implementing motivational activities, you should probably start with the upper management since they are the first ones to roll their eyes when we have to take time out to complete these courses since it's taking "time away" from our desks. My other advice to management - stop delegating and try the work for yourself. Then you will truly know the demands that are placed on your employees to produce the numbers that you expect.

Claims Representative

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Brea, CA

I worked at Mercury General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You receive 10 percent off of your policy. Holiday bonus.

Cons

The adjusters are over worked. You are constantly receiving new claims while trying to focus on closing claims. The heavy workload definitely effects customer service. The employees do care and want to help customers but there is so much work where you can not think straight. A lot of negativity on the floor which definitely brings down the moral of the floor.

Advice to Management

Management needs to restructure their training and support system for adjusters who have questions. There are no team leads or a que for support.

Execs REALLY need to pay attention!!

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Super nice co-workers. Great place back in the old days. Good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Mid level managers are getting heat from the upper level executives to do more with less. The problem is customer service is severely affected and morale is pretty low with quiet gossip around the office about our frustrations. It does no good to complain to HC because they run to your manager and "tell on you" instead of actually fixing the problem. I know every one I speak to in my department feels so overwhelmed and constantly juggling to resolve claims that attention to details is overlooked and claims are overpaid to get if off our plates.

Advice to Management

If you want good customer service, happy employees, and to realistically settle claims, please hire enough people to actually spend time talking to our customers instead of acting like robots and pushing claims through. So Gabe may not get his $1.137 million dollar bonus next year but at least he could gloat about moving up a tier in the JD Power rankings.

6. Review

Pros

only a few good supervisors here

Cons

lack of communication between employees and upper management, overworked employees with little to no show of appreciation, little employee incentives

Examiner

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are great, flexible time off, interesting work.

Cons

Appears management is getting pressured by admin in some way. All of a sudden our future at the company depends on meeting certain numbers some of which seem unattainable.

Advice to Management

There is only so much work one person can put out. We are not robots and some claims require more thinking and time than others. Please be mindful of the fact that we are slammed this not the same as it was when you all were in our position.

8. Not bad-not great

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Overworked...do more with less people.

Advice to Management

Listen to people and not reports that are sent out.

Claims Adjuster

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Mercury General (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good

Cons

the upper departmental management are out of touch with reality. If you were a long term employee over 10 years they start searching for ways to get rid of you. It is cheaper for them to hire someone out of college willing to work for up too 50% less.

Employees or Zombies?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I worked at Mercury General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guaranteed vacation/sick time based on years of service, Christmas bonus = 2 weeks pay, profitability bonus, benefits, and loads of employee discounts. Promotion from within encouraged. It is possible to work your way up with only a high school degree (pro & con depending on who you ask). If you are punctual and don't mind clocking in/out and leaving at exactly 4:45, this is the place for a weekly pay check. If you don't mind getting overly worked and verbally abused day after day, Claims is the place to be. If you don't mind pushing paper, keeping your nose down, and enjoy NOT talking to people, Underwriting is the place to be. IT Contractors appear to have a flexible, collaborative environment. Most employees complain there's "no opportunity for advancement" however, a good manager (extremely rare) will help you get to where you want to be.

Cons

Very political - hopefully your manager knows the game and plays on the right side or the whole department suffers. Unfortunately, that's the reality. Most, if not all, of upper management does NOT have graduate degrees or ability to put personal agendas aside for the success of the company. Many worked their way up and appear to take their positions for granted because they've been at the company so long. Besides the last Claims VP, who came from another company and was well educated, it is rare to see anyone in management get fired. Basically they are uninspiring, do what they want and treat their employees how they want. Lots of staff do not have much experience outside Mercury so it's a lot like high school. People who complain to HR are encouraged to work it out with their managers who ultimately make it so bad for the employee that they usually quit. Many employees have been with company 15+ yrs with no intentions of leaving. Although old school mentality honors longevity, it's looked down upon in today's world and discouraging if you aspire for more professional success. Look around the halls and people look like zombies - they are miserable!

Advice to Management

A department potluck or hosted lunch does not boost morale. Would be great to see managers with higher education and encourage their staff to think out of the box for solutions instead of oppress them.

11. Claims examiner

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Brea, CA

I have been working at Mercury General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have been trying to create a more family oriented working environment.

Cons

They don't want you to take any time off. They allow up to 200 hour is vacation time. Once you reach 200 hours, the vacation hours would stop cumulate. They would make your feel guilty to take any vacation time off even though you've earned them.

Advice to Management

They should allow employees to cash out vacations hours if they don't want employees to miss time from work.

RSS Feed </> Embed