Mercury General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mercury General President, CEO, and Director Gabriel Tirador

Gabriel Tirador

Pros:
  • "Christmas bonus equal to one-half month's salary"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Decent pay for the way the economy is right now, great benefits"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "This company has been behind the times and is trying to launch into the 21st century as quickly as they can"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Poor communication between upper management and employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Over worked

Senior Underwriter (Former Employee)
    Brea, CA

ProsGreat benefits and pay. Casual attire.

ConsUnrealistic goals. Underwriting rules constantly changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overworking policies!!

Good company

Underwriter (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsStable, good benefits, great location

ConsSome depts struggling to adapt to changes

Former Employee

Employee (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGreat benefits, office has a family feel

ConsTraining needs to be beefed up a lot, customer service has gone downhill

Advice to Senior ManagementStop showing favoritism, allow more promotions within

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not happy about changes.

Claims Specialist II (Current Employee)
    Brea, CA

ProsThey try to keep morale up, but have changed the focus of our performance reviews on our personality rather than our performance.

ConsIt is a challenging job with ever increasing workloads.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen we are busy, which is all the time, to have to take an hour out of the day to attend a balloon tossing contest to show we have good personality is a little difficult to bear.

Use to be a great company.....plus, IT is the worse!

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Brea, CA

Proshealth, vision, dental, pet insurance discount, cell phone discount, 401k, coworkers are great if you are on the right team, most team leads are pretty lenient with vacation times

ConsThe culture is horrible in IT!! It seems that individuals who actually do the work are kept on the bottom to be slaves to the useless people who are promoted. They recently made changes were certain individuals in IT have switched to HOURLY, meaning clocking in and out. Since they individuals have to clock in and out, the extra work is given to the exempt employees instead. We are constantly told employees matter but when it comes down to actually rewarding the employee, it doesn't happen. Employees are treated like 'number's and nothing more. When issues are brought up to HR, the person is given a 'warning' and nothing happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and promote people who actually contribute to the company. Please get rid of the useless slave drivers that you have promoted. We tend to lose respect for management when they know less than the people that work under them.

Great place to work, just a little cloudy in their transparency.

ProsVery direct and straightforward guiding principals and values.
    Easy to get along with all levels of employee
    Great bonus and annual Holiday bonus

ConsNot very transparent when it comes to job security. Such a huge number of employees were laid off over the past 3-7 years that we are completely bare bones with the staff. Whenever one person is out sick or on vacation everyone pitches in, but it's getting old. When I come back from vacation or time off I am more stressed out at the abundant catch up I have to do, while taking on the next vacationers work load too. No transparency as the company preaches; we have no idea why our policy count keeps spiraling down and no idea what the company has in mind to correct it. They offer encouraging speaches but never give us a definite feeling of security.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecs and Directors are great. Keep the positive vibe.
    Upper Managers need to be more approachable and less pompous.
    Branch Managers need to tell us more of what's going on and what the future holds. We're tired of hearing "It's on a need to know basis" -- well, we NEED TO KNOW!
    Supervisors are great and always helping out. They are the under-appreciated lowest level of Management.

IT - take your talent else where

Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits are definitely in par with the market. Time off policies are good. People of different cultures work here.

ConsThis is a safe heaven for people who are rude, cut throat mid level managers. Senior management enables them by promoting them. Prefers contractors to avoid conflicts. Too much of unproductive middle level managers who just dumps the work on hard workers. Never cultivate team work. Less appreciative of the hard working people.

Advice to Senior Managementappreciation of good working people seem to decline lately post 2008. Promote team work and enable people who are good leaders

Could be a better place to work

ProsThe only Pro is a great healthcare package.

ConsThere is a lot of inconsistencies across the company. Each manager does their own thing so when attempts to improve moral are made at an Admin level it doesn't trickle down because it gets filtered through control hungry and overbearing managers who spend more time goofing around in each others' offices rather than working or helping those below them.

Additionally, promotions to other departments rely on feedback from your manager. When you ask said manager what you can do better in order to be promoted you get a response of "I don't know."

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new Claims VP visited and discussed how he plans to move things forward and does not approve of the "manager X" persona (ie: I am the boss, you do what I say because I say so). His mockery of this management type is my manager to a T. Does anyone do anything about this? No.

Learned what I needed to

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsNice location and people. Got a free trip for training once. Not sure if they do anything like that anymore. Large break area.

ConsLittle to no formal training and massive workload. Unrealistic goal setting and work volume. Not enough compensation for the amount of work given. More interactive claim system.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and bridge the gap. The relaxed enviro is great but not quite enough to retain quality staff.

content

Personal Auto Underwriter (Former Employee)
    Brea, CA

ProsStable working conditions. Predictable expectations and outcomes.

ConsNo real growth opportunities. A sense of coasting from middle management and no real sense this is being addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are several positions that are unachievable due to barely qualified people obtaining the position during the time of unprecedented company growth. Good people are leaving or tuning out due to the appearance of no chance to advance,

Worked for Mercury General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mercury General reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mercury General CEO Gabriel Tirador. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by Mercury General employees.