Mercury Marine

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark D. Schwabero

Great working atmosphere with growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fond du Lac, WI

Pros*Most people I interacted with were professional, had good character and were down to earth throughout all levels in the company, all the way up to the President. It did not feel at all like a rat race where people wanted to backstab each other to get ahead.
    *Lots of team players.
    *Company made a lot of good decisions to weather the recession and this has forced people to work smarter and be more vigilant.
    *The company recognizes achievements. Meritocracy is strong.
    *Good work-life balance. Managers value their personal time and bestow that value onto their teams.
    *I felt like I was in control of my own destiny for my career path; lots of travel opportunities in the US and overseas. I got my dream assignment within 5 years.
    *Benefits were more than adequate; salary was competitive.

Cons*However, it's important to note that you have to make things happen to take advantage of career opportunities. There is not a lot of sheperding, mentoring or hand-holding for your career path.
    *The marine industry is a volatile one; meaning that raises and bonuses can be intermittent.
    *Large company where everyone excels as a specialist, which lends itself to departments sometimes competing with one another. You need a stomach for politics once you graduate from entry-level positions.
    *Because it's a public company, occasionally there's more bias towards short-term results than I liked. Sometimes travel and training, aspects good for long-term growth, would be compromised to please Wall Street. This has improved somewhat in the last couple of years.
    *Limited social opportunities in Fond du Lac for non-locals. Great place for families, but not so great for singles.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and invest into more rotational programs globally.

Mercury Marine a nice place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are good. It is nice having a cafe so you do not need to bring lunch and the food is good.

ConsThey could have a better training program instead of making people figure stuff out on there own.

Awesome work experience!

ProsPay, benefits, employees, location, values

ConsSometimes politics blur the vision

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! It is an awesome place to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. Very well managed.

Area Manager (Former Employee) Fond du Lac, WI

ProsExciting product. Market leader.

ConsUnion is a pain in the butt to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

World Class

Software Developer (Current Employee) Fond du Lac, WI

ProsGreat environment to work in.
    Salary and benefits are top notch for the area.

ConsCareer advancement opportunities were limited.

Good experience learning engine design.

ProsDecent benefits, very good bonus in strong years. The company has improved their communications to the employees, showing strong growth in the Fond du Lac area.

ConsEngineering department is severely restrained in upward mobility, not too much help in career development. HR department is terrible, lost key personnel during the recession and replacements are barely adequate.

Great Company to Work For

Brand Management (Former Employee) Fond du Lac, WI

ProsThe people are extremely helpful and motivating. I worked daily with engineers while being in the marketing department and was never talked down to being a young employee.

ConsSmall marketing department, needs to grow with marketing research and to be more hands on in it.

Stay Away

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Fond du Lac, WI

ProsThere are no pro's unless you happen to be one of the "chosen"

ConsThere are way too many to list.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit protecting the under performers! Stop thinking you know it all ! Listen to your management team !

Temp in Supply Chain

Temporary (Former Employee) Fond du Lac, WI

Prosco-workers (some are great) and flexible management helped out when you needed time off.

ConsPromises made - never kept. Some temps have been there a long time - like 20 years.

learn how to treat people

Auditor (Current Employee) Fond du Lac, WI

ProsInsurance from day one, big company with lots of room for movement, or so I was told

Conswell, I was terminated after 5 weeks for "failure to fit into culture and department and not meeting expectations". I was interviewed by 6 different people and my manager made the "executive decision" to terminate me; I guess I not only fooled her but they other people I interviewed with separately. The place is a revolving door out in the plants. Also, the city of Fond du Lac is a dump, glad I didn't move there.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people with respect

Worked for Mercury Marine? Contribute to the Community!