Mercury Marine

Mark D. Schwabero

Current Employer in FDL

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Mercury Marine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mercury is a great company to work for. They have some of the most talented people working on the shop floor. There are many opportunities to advance within the company, even positions at corporate.

Cons

The mindset of most employees are generating the most engines and not so much about quality engines. This is the fault of management. The culture needs major reform to a Quality and safety culture. Depending on who you report to, your work/life balance may be off.

The company put safety as their #1 priority, but failed to make it a priority because not every manager/supervisor is open to let their direct reports go home for doctor's appointment...shame on the company for not having any policy to help the fellow employees.

Interesting work using up to date resources with other talented people.

Current Employee - Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at Mercury Marine

Pros

Interesting and widely varied work on a complete consumer product. Many technical challenges and capable tools to take them on. This is a very interesting job.

Cons

Business cycles cause occasional layoffs. Management has made changes to mitigate this to some degree by using contract workers in busy times.

Management has done a fantastic job of managing the 2008 down turn in business. They concentrated on cash flow and inventory management with excellent success.

Lead to believe I would receive adequate training. After two months training was nonexistent while many tasks changed.

Former Employee - Demand Planner in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Demand Planner in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros

Discounts on many of the corporation's products.

Cons

Struggling industry, work overload from many departments.
    Company is lost in Excel.

Review of time at mercury

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros

Good atmosphere. A lot of good people to work with (and an occasional bad one of course) but by an large I enjoyed working there.

Cons

Little bit too political and who knows who on the management side. As far as how I was treated by all my managers personally, I was satisfied, but there seems to be a lot of odd things that happen in the levels above the middle management.

Honestly, need less layers of them there I think.

Great place to work awesome products

Former Employee - Multiple/Mfg Eng/Op's/Marketing in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Multiple/Mfg Eng/Op's/Marketing in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros

Great products and enough stones to push the envelope in the industry. Worldwide product and appeal. Long history and pride in it's history.

Cons

Long long hours. Union difficult to deal with but mostly misled and misunderstood. Management unwilling to make some investments on necessity but willing to make careless investment on new products that never met volume expectations.

Continue to be direct and continue to lead through the current market low.

Be Wary of Mercury Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stillwater, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stillwater, OK

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros

Interesting products, good people.
    They have (had?) a company-wide process improvement program in place. If you could demonstrate that an idea could provide real savings for the company, then you had a genuine chance at procuring resources for the idea and, with success, a genuine chance at promotion.

Cons

Stillwater plant has now been closed.
    Benefits and compensation are not very competitive.
    High turnover rate in senior management.
    Information was typically articulated most clearly through the rumor mill.

Sorry to descend to the level of the anecdote, but without them I'm afraid my criticisms might simply ring hollow:

I worked at Mercury during the period leading up to the 2008 recession, when gas prices had doubled in under six months to nearly $5/g in Stillwater, and when the imminent collapse of the real estate market was obvious. The market for luxury goods, like those produced by Mercury at Stillwater, was already nearly nonexistent. The only plan articulated by management was an expectation that things would eventually get better. They literally had no plan for dealing with lean times in a market that they understood to be highly cyclical.

One morning we were called to a meeting in which it was explained that the company was looking at ways to cut costs, with no mention of specifics. On returning to our desks, we found an email stating that the company had canceled its contract with its coffee supplier. While I respect that some money was saved, the experience was absurd, and typical of management's habit of presenting an optimistic rather than straightforward version of reality. More importantly, management took no personal pay cuts that I'm aware of, and made no effort to communicate how more substantial cost saving measures were to be effected.

Until one morning when I arrived to find that my entire group had been called into our manager's office. Frightened for our livelihoods, we anxiously listened as the senior mid-manager explained that layoffs/forced retirements were planned for another group. It was sort of the reverse of having the rug pulled out from under you, but with the same emotional effect.

To borrow a coworker's phrase, senior mid-management seemed to develop a "hard on" for this tactic after I left. Given the way the Stillwater plant was closed (Mercury _publicly announced_ that they would close their Fon du Lac plant, then rescinded and closed the Stillwater plant) I now believe that they were just following the example of senior and corporate management.

The saddest part of this review is that, in all honesty, I can only label Mercury as a typical company at worst.

Make a long-term, company-wide plan (including feasible solutions for risk management) that will survive management turnover. Include some goals. Follow it, and share it with your employees.

great technology driven company but volatile industry

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros

a good company to work for in a nice town.

Cons

boat engine making is avolatile industry. Chances of job losses are higher especially during economic downtuns. The are the first to see the impact of discretionary customer spending and are probably the last to recover completely

great place to work. can do with more transparency

Great place, pay could be better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranbury, NJ

I worked at Mercury Marine

Pros

Great place to work, people are excellent. Good working evironment. had an enjoyable time in my years there, and was actually a pleasure to go to work every day. Work is demanding, but that just makes the day go by faster. There are downsides, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. Having said that, the only readon i left was that I had too for financial reasons, I had a much higher offer - but still miss the gang...

Cons

the compensation at Mercury Marine could be a little better. It's not terrible, but left because of a much better offer. Vacation time is fair, but it could always be better. There are down sides to just about any job out there, and Merc Marine is no diferent.

you should pay more. if you want to maintain the top people, it is going to cost a little. If you continue to not pay, the best people will leave for better offers.

Fast paced, good people to work with.

I have been working at Mercury Marine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smaller company that drives innovation in the marine industry. Customer focused with their products, quality is a main focus of the company's goals. Outboard engines are well-designed and thought out, excellent test facilities, opportunities to move inter-company. Overall compensation is good, bonus structure is very good (in the good years).

Cons

Company headquarters are located in Fond du Lac, WI, small city with very few entertainment options. Great for water sports, family, outdoor activities. Company facilities are a little dated, not much interaction outside of the office.

decent

I have been working at Mercury Marine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great mid level managament staff

Cons

too much political in fighting