Mercury Media

Andrew McLean

Fun Environment and Good People

Former Employee - Corporate Accounting in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Accounting in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Santa Monica location and nice offices, monthly office meeting with all staff levels and departments kept everyone informed and included, Halloween was awesome at the office, good medical benefits, quarterly bonuses, and quality people to work with.

Cons

At the time I worked there, there was no 401k match, but that might have since changed. Also, my position was being eliminated shortly after I was hired in the newly created accounting role so that was unfortunate. Also, the CFO was located 3000 miles away from the rest of the corporate accounting group at the time I was there, but I believe that has since changed with the corporate group leaving the west coast.

less than desirable

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the office are really wonderful. They are funny and engaging.

Cons

Management can be unfair in their policies. They change policies for people they like. A lot of double standards

be more transparent.

Too many chefs in the kitchen

I have been working at Mercury Media full-time

Pros

The staff holds a lot of experience across various verticals. Generally, there is a fair amount of flexibility with regards to time off/vacation time.

Cons

Too much management and not enough staff. Superfluous management teams assign tasks without regard to current duties already assigned, leading to poor quality of work, little leadership in terms of prioritization, varying standards and high turnover from the staff. The opportunity to expand your skill-set is certainly available, however very rarely exercised. Communication between offices is very poor -- even when working on the same projects. Product standards and workload are also uneven across all offices.

Outdated company that failed to evolve with the market

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not a bad place to get started- get introduced to the media world and learn some basics about direct response. Location is the best think about this job, minutes from the beach.

Cons

Almost zero room for growth, and even of you do get promoted, the pay is TERRIBLE. Major focus on long form tv buying- which is a dying industry. Pointless to learn a trade that will be completely irrelevant in a couple of years. This company completely missed the boat on evolving and staying relevant, very poor long term strategy. They have been doing bad financially for years- very few employee perks. Upper management turn over is as high as the entry level positions.

Not sure any advice will help

Low Pay, Too Corporate

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The location made it easy to walk to the beach. You can learn a lot here and then move on.

Cons

Revolving door of employees. No Raises, low pay, really hard to move up. Feels too corporate.

A "job" that turned into life lessons & skills...

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Framingham, MA

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with the senior management team very closely and my daily job specifics required me to interact with them on a daily basis. I was always given clear expectations & goals but yet always was given the opportunity to set my work pace. My ideas and opinions on any given subject matter were always taken into account. I truly loved my position, my management team & the culture! I worked with a talented bunch!

Cons

I personally did not experience anything "negative" while working at Mercury. I was always treated very fairly and my superiors were always accommodating.One key point too is that if I ever did have a worry I could always talk to my boss about it. She always had an open door.

The senior management team at Mercury is such a talented & driven group. My best advice is to listen and learn from them; they are all such strong & brilliant leaders whom I learned so much from and I truly respect them. They have so much to share & teach their employees!

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mercury Media is a wonderful place to work. Mercury is a place where all employees are respected and their contributions are highly valued. Mercury is a fun place to work and has some of the best employees in the business. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is currently in the market for a new job.

Cons

Mercury is such a great place to work. There really isn't anything that stands out as being a downside.

Do not have any advice for management.

Too Stuck in the past

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Keurig coffee. Great location by the promenade.

Cons

Company is too stuck in the past using dos based software and embracing a dying media avenue.

Diversify your offers. Manage digital and tv campaigns. Embrace mobile and social tech. Realize it's 2013. Also, pay your employees better than 13.50 an hour.

Good People. Work is heavily data driven.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Clients benefit from long partnerships with vendors to receive efficient rates for long form DRTV. Good training ground. Fair staff retention rate.

Cons

Questionable management style and communication, depending on position level.
    Systems need updating but staff makes it adequate enough.
    Focus on long form only doesn't allow for multimedia opportunities for staff.
    Salary is significantly lower than industry average.

Listen to staff. Provide clear direction of company.

OK company to work for

Former Employee - Media Buyer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Media Buyer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Mercury Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People were friendly for the most part

Cons

Long hours when management would leave early if they were even there after lunch at all; Very cliquish and would only promote their friends; company kept restructuring and didn't know the focus they wanted but since have merged; Supervisors didn't know the positions they were overseeing so it was hard to learn or get advice from them

Be open minded and make sure you are trained before you oversee a dept.