Mercury Payment Systems

Matt Taylor

LOVE Mercury

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durango, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durango, CO

I have been working at Mercury Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They recognize hard work and promote from within. They care if you're having a bad day. They care about their employees and the perks are great. Paid volunteer hours, occasional beer Friday, free food Fridays once a month, amazing holiday parties, free food all the time (random ice cream bars etc), bonuses, great benefits (even free massages), fun co workers, relatable management, fun events, great feedback and room for growth. Everyone in top positions (especially in support) started at the bottom and worked their way up. It feels more like a family than a huge corporation. Working in support, we also put the needs of the customer #1 and weren't told to screw anyone over, we genuinely were taught to care about our customers and given the tools we need. We were recently bought out by another larger company, but the culture remains the same.

Cons

Some managers need to be let go, they don't even know what their employees do on a day-today basis. I'm not too sure if this is normal though for corporations.

Try and understand that the call center employees may not be able to take a ton of calls some days because they are trying to work on issues with merchants and are trying to get it right the first time.

Rewarding company to work for in a challenging and competitive business

I have been working at Mercury Payment Systems full-time

Pros

I have had great experiences with coworkers and supervisors. The job is challenging, but if you put in the time and effort it is worthwhile. Training is thorough. The people here are the best.

Cons

Growth pains as we grow and develop new procedures and policies.

It is very important to listen to the ones who report to you. That creates a great culture.

Horrible company, Horrible HR, Front Line Management SUCK for Customer/Sales Support Teams

Former Employee - Sales/Customer Support in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales/Customer Support in Denver, CO

I worked at Mercury Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Non...As all the good stuff was taken away

Cons

If you do not have a connection then forget about getting in this company or staying long. If you don't fit the current high school crowd group than you won't fit in at Mercury, Very childish company and management

Get it together and get rid of the people who are driving away all the good people

AVOID at all costs

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Support
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Support

I have been working at Mercury Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

yes, there are some good perks, (IE: workout area, company lunches, competitive PTO and bene's, a new building...) but this is all surface, and will not make up for the price you have to pay in selling your soul to Mercury, VISA and the payment card industry.

Cons

I went into this job excited about joining the mercury team, and impressed by Matt Taylor.
    I left barely in possession of my dignity.

poor leadership and a lack of qualified management
    low take home pay, and large work loads
    continued morale drop across the organization

many ethical issues, including but not limited to: hidden fees, straight made up out of the blue fees, outrageously high rates, intentionally misleading merchants into harmful contracts, lack of accountability, poor treatment of employees, merchants, and strategic partners.

this company, despite what they claim, is not at all transparent w their merchants or partners, is incredibly silo'd, cut throat, and only care about the bottom line (which explains why even non-entry level/ middle mgmt employees still struggle to pay their mortgages, despite working in a multi billion dollar organization/industry.)

every employee is replaceable, made aware of this, and works in this culture everyday.
    as such, the work life balance has been all but eradicated.

On top of this, they are no longer a locally based Durango, CO company after selling out to Vantiv for 2.6 billion.
    The "Small" company feel is gone, management is arrogant and has lost sight of what made this a great company.
    There is an atmosphere of expected attrition, and little effort made in retaining employees, those who stick around get promoted, little consideration is given to merit when promoting.

unless you want to be suicidal in Cincinnati in 2 years time, don't apply here; there is better, more fulfilling, work out there.

Understand what it means to recognize good work; this means asking for an employees opinion on a matter, or inviting them to a meeting to voice their perspective, etc... this does NOT mean put the employees name in a traditional "football grid" raffle or a free lunch. Any reasonable economist knows there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Hire managers who understand how to motivate and retain quality employees, not managers whom discourage, disconnect, and drive away their staff due to poorly thought through and executed "motivational" strategies.

A great company at one time

I worked at Mercury Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Great location, great employees at the time (many have left).

Cons

Unrealistic goals, very stressful at times. Stated culture does not typically match reality.

Unfortunate changes make it no fun

I have been working at Mercury Payment Systems full-time

Pros

It is still the people, the everyday employee. Smart and collaborative group. Free lunch once a month.

Cons

Lots unfortunately. Executive leadership is completely disconnected. Non-competitive pay. Good people are leaving and management is not doing anything to retain the good employees and make it a better place of employment.

Would have recommended 3 years ago, not now.

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Mercury Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about Mercury is they have an amazing bunch of people if you don't count management in general. Actually, that's about the only good thing I can think of.

Cons

Everything else. Non-competitive pay, unrealistic goals, disconnected and arrogant management. They have lost focus on what made this company great at one period and have hurt themselves by the way they treat employes and strategic partners.

Be thankful Vantiv overpaid for the company and you were able to cash in on your stock options. It's a shame what you've done to a truly once great company.

Run away

I worked at Mercury Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good buildings and working conditions.

Cons

Compensation is horrible, front line managers are horrible, executives are rude and out of touch, big egos, favoritism, lack of action to change things for the better. Inconstancy, false promises, unrealistic goals, lack of acknowledgment and all of the other horrible things that people have reviewed. I agree with it all.

Get rid of all of your sucky front line managers that give you the wrong information about the people that care for the company. We do amazing things and they get overlooked by incorrect reporting. Care for your tenured employees since we have shown loyalty to the company. We all understand that there are growing pains, but show more interest for the people that make the company.

Political

Former Employee - Con in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Con in Denver, CO

I worked at Mercury Payment Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beer Friday Beer Friday Beer Friday for minors too

Cons

Ever changing attitudes negativity fear for motivations

Dont Lie dont lie dont lie dont lie

Great company and Employees

I have been working at Mercury Payment Systems

Pros

Good vision, great leadership, good upward mobility.

Cons

Need better compensation, takes awhile to interview for inside positions.

Mercury Payment Systems Photos