Mercury Payment Systems

www.mercurypay.com

Mercury Payment Systems Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
Mercury Payment Systems – US – “Durango Location”

Matt Taylor

Great company and Employees

ProsGood vision, great leadership, good upward mobility.

ConsNeed better compensation, takes awhile to interview for inside positions.

Interesting roller-coaster ride

Pros- Growing, young company.
    - Just got bought out, created excitement.
    - Good technology
    - Good people
    - Awesome company culture
    - Good & flexible "work \ life" balance
    - Decent leadership, depending on what dept you are in.
    - A lot of Pros mentioned already, agree with them.
    - CEO seems open and honest

Cons- Just got bought out, created chaos and panic.
    - A lot of cliquey departments or groups of people. If your inside the ring your informed and up to speed, if not you find out when the janitor does.
    - Uncertainty of being bought out by Vantiv and what that means to those who didn't have stock and cashed out on this deal.
    - A LOT of employees that came from Durango, this is their 1st IT job. They have seniority when they shouldn't based on education and experience. They then hire very experienced people who have worked for world class places and the experienced people are never listened to and leave.
    - Too many folks in management because of length of employment and not ability, experience or education.
    - Had some issues with a tad bit of nepotism but it seems that may have been squashed.

Due to the uncertainty of the company and Vantiv I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. It will most likely take 6-12 months for things to pan out, then we'll see how things are. Read the Vantiv comments for their company and decide on that.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know they (Vantiv) outsources to India and how they do layoffs so please be open with us and don't lie. Your whole company is on edge and freaking out, do the right thing. You have lost and are continuing to lose REAL good people due to "its how we do things". We are tired of doing things the wrong way and losing the ability and skills to do work the right way. Your on a verge of a major exodus as can be seen from so many people moving from the job market in Durango to Denver. I'm sure this is part of the plan to shake those folks loose, but you will lose some top-notch people along the way.

If I have to be behind a desk, this is where I want to do it!

Pros-culture
    -CEO Matt Taylor is awesome
    -Amenities
    -Co-workers

ConsNot very many cons here

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not as forward thinking as they want to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Durango, CO

ProsSome very smart people you can learn from. New Durango office is nice.

ConsSince day one Durango people get paid less than Denver people, for doing the same job. The ability for anyone to move up in the company that isn't from another company is pretty low. Directors are more concerned with making themselves look good to people above them then promoting their teams. Directors will flat out lie and call something a company policy so that they don't have to own up to anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people below management, they are what makes Mercury profitable. Vantiv needs to look at the Directors who make excuses and don't provide a benefit and just remove them.

Depressing for sure

Channel Sales (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe people are amazing. Not sure if they can ever be replaced.
    Benefits - Good and affordable

ConsLack of clarity on goals
    Inflated Numbers
    Always changing comp plan
    Miserable work environment - Management walks around miserable, so naturally sales teams do the same
    Prematurely roll out programs

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry a smile on your face and recognize people once in awhile. It can be contagious, just as walking around miserable can be. People will work harder for someone who truly motivates rather than someone who degrades or never has time for you. Until then, it will be a revolving door and good people will continue to walk

Great Company, Great People, Great Growth Opportunities...LOVE Mercury!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durango, CO

ProsThe culture at Mercury is awesome! Everyone is like family and is always willing to work as a team. Employee appreciation is of utmost importance. There are monthly catered lunches, seasonal all company parties, departmental teambuilding events, the list goes on. Mercury is also involved in the community and has a committee dedicated to making sure we are helping where we can. Each employee is allowed to leave work and volunteer at various places in town for 20 hours each year with pay. Mercury is a growing company and there are always opportunities to move up and around the company. I learn something new every day and feel just as challenged as I did when I first started working here several years ago. I also have great benefits and feel that the pay is very fair for the work that I am required to do. I really enjoy my job and the people I work with and I highly recommend Mercury as a great place to work!

ConsSince we are growing so quickly, things change a lot and it's difficult to stay fully staffed. Employees grow into new positions or leave the company on a regular bases which can sometimes be a challenge. While this is a challenge, it is not a bad thing and we are always able to work through the obstacles.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making employees feel appreciated. Keep employees in the loop regarding the current and future state of the company if and when possible. Work hard to keep the culture that created this awesome company at the top of the priority list. Keep moving onward and upward while maintaining the greatness that is Mercury.

Amazing company, best job ever!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durango, CO

ProsAll of my experiences at Mercury have been positive. From the first day, the culture drew me in and it hasn't disappointed me since then. My co-workers are phenomenal, hard-working and talented. The innovative business model that started it all still rings true and it's exciting to see where it will take us next. I really appreciate that as the company grows and changes, that the mission and values also evolve to reflect the spirit of Mercury. The special touches that are provides to employees are wonderful (time to volunteer, recognition, fun events) but they are just icing on the cake. I feel truly blessed to be part of this team.

ConsThere have been challenges related to growth but I feel they were necessary and done with careful consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to focus on high performance and transparency. There are so many employees who believe in doing the best work they can, every day. Take time to put out quality, even if it takes a little longer.

Start-up environment with poor management skills

Software Developer/Database Administrator (Former Employee) Durango, CO

ProsDurango is a beautiful place to live and Mercury promotes a great work/life balance.

ConsThe majority of management has been promoted from within due to seniority - very few of them have experience in managerial positions or any training or education in strong decision making skills. With it being a 'young' company, much of the management team was promoted to their positions while still in their 20s having little practical experience to base decision making on. This leads to an environment that is very knee-jerk with little strategic perspective. I worked for an IT director who was 28 years old, had a BA in communications and minor in computer studies and when I joined the group - she had hired and fired 5 IT professionals within 1.5 years of her promotion to Director.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate your employees based on performance and skills - not on how long they have been with the company. Consider taking the time to train your young managers on better decision making.

Depressing

Channel Sales Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsA lot of smart and talented people work here. Office is very nice.

ConsWhere to begin? Well management is awful. They forgot why this company grew. No transparency. Not to mention marketing writes fake company reviews to help hiring efforts since turn over is so high. Never seen a sales department so defeated. Numbers are so high and no one is getting paid. Had 5 different sales directors in channel sales in 2 years!!!! Company thinks they are Google and we should be grateful to work here. Long hours and low pay is the new model.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Very simple, listen. The arrogance is so thick. Please listen to your sales teams.

Awesome people and great growth opportunities

Director (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe management team is one of the strongest I've ever worked with. There is solid leadership in this company. Top to bottom, there aren't a lot of egos. People are focused on getting the job done well and making sure customers are taken care of. There's also fun "perks" like free employee lunches and getting paid to volunteer in the community.

ConsThe company is growing fast, which means there are standard growing pains with cross-functional operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a better job at updating employees on strategy and growth goals, but it could get better.

Worked for Mercury Payment Systems? Contribute to the Community!