Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) Reviews

Mark Aslett

1. Good learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to work with some great Engineers. They helped me when I needed it and I was able to help them when they needed it. I learned a lot the time I was there. When the times were good, the group I worked in felt like a second family. I ended up developing many long last friendships here.

Cons

Layoffs hurt as that seemed to be the first choice (rather than the last) when it comes to cost cutting. There were years that there were not any raises so it hurt financially when healthcare costs went up and your paycheck did not. Information didn't always flow from upper management to the lower ranks.

Advice to Management

Less managers and more Engineers. It would be a good idea to continually hire a certain number of college graduates to keep the pipeline robust.

2. Old Stodgy Company

Former Employee - Director, Program Management in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Director, Program Management in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Acceptable to work in for you like hardware components and working with prime contractors in defense. Develops cutting edge technology and really smart engineers.

Cons

An old guys company, feels like a time warp back to the early 80s. Can't imagine any young person wanting to work there. 1. Work Environment is nothing like those offered by companies located in Boston. I bet they still don't provide free coffee never mind any other perks. ! 2. Unsatisfying that Product(s) are components to larger systems.. Deliverable product is never branded "Mercury" so their is a lack of brand recognition. 3. Management is full of expatriates (British and French) or guys that have been with the company forever. Success is measured by their growing waistlines. Lack of woman in leadership roles. 4. Extreme dependency on Defense budget. If we ever smarten up as nation and reduce Defense spending this company is history. 5. Located off I-495, the snow belt of Massachusetts. Another 80s throwback reference. Who wants to work in that area unless you live in NH?

Advice to Management

Get younger and diversify your product and services outside of Defense.

Happy I'm out of there

Former Employee - Systems Applications Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Applications Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good location, happiness after leaving

Cons

Dishonest, micro-managing, engineering executives. They have no problem laying off people with experience while at the same time hiring less experienced engineers to save money, calculating that the loss in quality is worth it.

5. Brilliant, engaged, motivated employees. Company headed into the Unknown

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quite possibly the smartest, most motivated people I have ever worked with. Very interesting work. Leading edge design.

Cons

Relied on one contract that never came. Currently downsizing. Not sure what the future holds. They just had another RIF in February 2014

6. Good but changing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great dedicated, talented people. Smartest people I've worked with. Nice campus.

Cons

Little value placed on the dedicated workforce. Not just monetarily, but recognition of how hard people are working. Lots of finger pointing instead of coming to solution.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people. Lots of favoritism which is sometimes unfounded and historical information about individuals keeps surfacing. Walk around and talk to people

High expectations and absurd workload with little reward.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work at Mercury is interesting and some of the developers here are the best I've worked with. Brilliance abounds.

Cons

The company's monetary focus is more on buying other companies than on rewarding/recognizing an exceptional workforce and providing them with an enjoyable environment in which to flourish. You are expected to do the work of 2 or 3 people in a short development cycle. The pace varies from frenetic to frenzied; meaning that everything has priority and it all has to be done yesterday. There is a lot of last-minute madness; therefore, there's a lot of stress. We haven't had raises in a few years and the profit sharing bonus has become something of a joke (this year we got half a paycheck after a year of juggling a truly insane workload). It was insulting.

Advice to Management

You talk a lot about Mercury being a great place to work, but you place a great deal of pressure on your employees without rewarding them for going above and beyond. We work just as hard and just as diligently (if not more so) as you folks in upper management. You reward this with measley $100 attaboys on occasion, but even then only the engineering staff is recognized. What about all of the people who support them? You are concerned with the company surviving sequestration, but instead of nurturing your employees to keep them as productive as possible, you spend money "growing" the company. Growth is good, but you forget the people who actually make that growth possible.

8. Great place to learn technology, bad place to grow.

Current Employee - Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

Pros

Very interesting technology and smart people

Cons

No raises, upper management is out of touch

Advice to Management

Talk to the people who work here.

9. Top notch in most of the fields they are involved in, great place to work, but challenged by changes in defense market.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, supportive environment. Good variety of technically challenging problems to work on, often using cutting edge technology.

Cons

Currently in a down period due to delays and cutbacks in government spending. Remains to be seen if they will make the right changes to weather the storm and return to growth. Organization of engineering departments is outmoded and must be refocused for success in winning new business.

The Good Times Are Gone

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people in Non-Management position where team work is essential. Company flex hours are great. Benefits are good but falling behind other companies.

Cons

Senior Management can care less about laying off people. Job security is non-existent as one never knows when one will be let go.

Advice to Management

Stop acquiring companies and give raises, plus stop saying you are lucky to have a job!

11. If only it could have lasted

Former Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic group of people; Intelligent and friendly A lot of potential and the learning never ends Good growth opportunities Competitive pay with good benefits

Cons

Defense industry and defense budget issues almost dictate hiring and keeping of hardworking employees. Plays things a little to conservative. A little chaotic at times.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent beneath you. Ensure the employees are truly happy especially with all the additional hard work everyone has to put in to ensure deadlines are met and problems solved while being understaffed.

RSS Feed </> Embed