Mercury Systems (Massachusetts)

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) President, CEO, and Director Mark Aslett

Mark Aslett

I enjoyed a long and fulfilling career at Mercury, constantly being challenged and supported.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is always support for ideas which are in line with the mission as the company strives to make a difference in a challenging environment.

ConsIt is a high pressure environment that does not lend to shutting down at 5 pm. If that is what you're looking for, this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more productively across business units and with their own teams.

Frustrating Lately

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers..... The people that have been at Mercury through thick and thin are wonderful. There's a constant vision of the worker bees of 'how to get this done with what we have'.

ConsConstant restructuring and the sense of never getting caught up. It seems like it is harder and harder to get something accomplished from start to finish. There's always an internal roadblock. Unfortunately upper management is completely out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thanking the people that have been here to help you through thick and thin, and stop telling people to be thankful they have jobs, it gets old.

Brilliant, engaged, motivated employees. Company headed into the Unknown

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chelmsford, MA

ProsQuite possibly the smartest, most motivated people I have ever worked with. Very interesting work. Leading edge design.

ConsRelied on one contract that never came. Currently downsizing. Not sure what the future holds. They just had another RIF in February 2014

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

roller coaster ride

ProsThey pay well, have decent benefits. Great co-workers.

ConsScare of a layoff every quarter. Re-org every year that makes you wonder if they have a clue. no raises in over 5 years with excuse of the economy but they keep buying companies and have over $20 million in bank. Bonuses are a joke unless you are management. VP's get $200000 plus while regular employees get less than a 1% a qtr. Difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and quality will improve.

Good but changing company

Chelmsford, MA

ProsGreat dedicated, talented people. Smartest people I've worked with. Nice campus.

ConsLittle value placed on the dedicated workforce. Not just monetarily, but recognition of how hard people are working. Lots of finger pointing instead of coming to solution.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the people. Lots of favoritism which is sometimes unfounded and historical information about individuals keeps surfacing. Walk around and talk to people

They've treated me well

ProsMarket Leader.. Good benefits. Good growth potential.

ConsBig Transformation started 5 years ago- still in process. Tough market

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for opportunities to build teamwork and fun

High expectations and absurd workload with little reward.

Chelmsford, MA

ProsThe work at Mercury is interesting and some of the developers here are the best I've worked with. Brilliance abounds.

ConsThe company's monetary focus is more on buying other companies than on rewarding/recognizing an exceptional workforce and providing them with an enjoyable environment in which to flourish. You are expected to do the work of 2 or 3 people in a short development cycle. The pace varies from frenetic to frenzied; meaning that everything has priority and it all has to be done yesterday. There is a lot of last-minute madness; therefore, there's a lot of stress. We haven't had raises in a few years and the profit sharing bonus has become something of a joke (this year we got half a paycheck after a year of juggling a truly insane workload). It was insulting.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk a lot about Mercury being a great place to work, but you place a great deal of pressure on your employees without rewarding them for going above and beyond. We work just as hard and just as diligently (if not more so) as you folks in upper management. You reward this with measley $100 attaboys on occasion, but even then only the engineering staff is recognized. What about all of the people who support them? You are concerned with the company surviving sequestration, but instead of nurturing your employees to keep them as productive as possible, you spend money "growing" the company. Growth is good, but you forget the people who actually make that growth possible.

Stay away

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Billerica, MA

Prosmet a few nice co-workers

ConsManagement team incompetent and culture is toxic

Great place to learn technology, bad place to grow.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chelmsford, MA

ProsVery interesting technology and smart people

ConsNo raises, upper management is out of touch

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people who work here.

Top notch in most of the fields they are involved in, great place to work, but challenged by changes in defense market.

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Chelmsford, MA

ProsGreat people to work with, supportive environment. Good variety of technically challenging problems to work on, often using cutting edge technology.

ConsCurrently in a down period due to delays and cutbacks in government spending. Remains to be seen if they will make the right changes to weather the storm and return to growth. Organization of engineering departments is outmoded and must be refocused for success in winning new business.

Worked for Mercury Systems (Massachusetts)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) CEO Mark Aslett. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) employees.