Mercury Systems (Massachusetts)

Mark Aslett

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to work with some great Engineers. They helped me when I needed it and I was able to help them when they needed it. I learned a lot the time I was there. When the times were good, the group I worked in felt like a second family. I ended up developing many long last friendships here.

Cons

Layoffs hurt as that seemed to be the first choice (rather than the last) when it comes to cost cutting. There were years that there were not any raises so it hurt financially when healthcare costs went up and your paycheck did not. Information didn't always flow from upper management to the lower ranks.

Less managers and more Engineers. It would be a good idea to continually hire a certain number of college graduates to keep the pipeline robust.

Mercury

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Advanced technology and intelligent engineering.

Cons

Management constantly changing and no room for advancement or training.

Stay away!!!! Management team needs better leadership skills

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The commute and some staff members

Cons

Over worked employees with no clear company future. If job market improves, company will lose most of current staff. Management is more concerned with hitting revenue targets than satisfying customer requirements.

Worry more about motivating employees and serving customers than stock analysts.

Frustrating Lately

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers..... The people that have been at Mercury through thick and thin are wonderful. There's a constant vision of the worker bees of 'how to get this done with what we have'.

Cons

Constant restructuring and the sense of never getting caught up. It seems like it is harder and harder to get something accomplished from start to finish. There's always an internal roadblock. Unfortunately upper management is completely out of touch.

Start thanking the people that have been here to help you through thick and thin, and stop telling people to be thankful they have jobs, it gets old.

I enjoyed a long and fulfilling career at Mercury, constantly being challenged and supported.

I worked at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time

Pros

There is always support for ideas which are in line with the mission as the company strives to make a difference in a challenging environment.

Cons

It is a high pressure environment that does not lend to shutting down at 5 pm. If that is what you're looking for, this may not be the company for you.

Communicate more productively across business units and with their own teams.

Brilliant, engaged, motivated employees. Company headed into the Unknown

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quite possibly the smartest, most motivated people I have ever worked with. Very interesting work. Leading edge design.

Cons

Relied on one contract that never came. Currently downsizing. Not sure what the future holds. They just had another RIF in February 2014

roller coaster ride

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They pay well, have decent benefits. Great co-workers.

Cons

Scare of a layoff every quarter. Re-org every year that makes you wonder if they have a clue. no raises in over 5 years with excuse of the economy but they keep buying companies and have over $20 million in bank. Bonuses are a joke unless you are management. VP's get $200000 plus while regular employees get less than a 1% a qtr. Difficult to move up.

Invest in your employees and quality will improve.

High expectations and absurd workload with little reward.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Mercury Systems (Massachusetts) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work at Mercury is interesting and some of the developers here are the best I've worked with. Brilliance abounds.

Cons

The company's monetary focus is more on buying other companies than on rewarding/recognizing an exceptional workforce and providing them with an enjoyable environment in which to flourish. You are expected to do the work of 2 or 3 people in a short development cycle. The pace varies from frenetic to frenzied; meaning that everything has priority and it all has to be done yesterday. There is a lot of last-minute madness; therefore, there's a lot of stress. We haven't had raises in a few years and the profit sharing bonus has become something of a joke (this year we got half a paycheck after a year of juggling a truly insane workload). It was insulting.

You talk a lot about Mercury being a great place to work, but you place a great deal of pressure on your employees without rewarding them for going above and beyond. We work just as hard and just as diligently (if not more so) as you folks in upper management. You reward this with measley $100 attaboys on occasion, but even then only the engineering staff is recognized. What about all of the people who support them? You are concerned with the company surviving sequestration, but instead of nurturing your employees to keep them as productive as possible, you spend money "growing" the company. Growth is good, but you forget the people who actually make that growth possible.

Good but changing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

Pros

Great dedicated, talented people. Smartest people I've worked with. Nice campus.

Cons

Little value placed on the dedicated workforce. Not just monetarily, but recognition of how hard people are working. Lots of finger pointing instead of coming to solution.

Pay attention to the people. Lots of favoritism which is sometimes unfounded and historical information about individuals keeps surfacing. Walk around and talk to people

They've treated me well

Pros

Market Leader.. Good benefits. Good growth potential.

Cons

Big Transformation started 5 years ago- still in process. Tough market

Look for opportunities to build teamwork and fun