Mercy College

www.mercy.edu

Mercy College Reviews in Dobbs Ferry, NY

Updated Jun 26, 2014
Mercy College – Bronx – “Mercy College - Bronx Campus”

Timothy Hall

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great place to work

Admissions Recruiter (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsA Flexible and enjoyable workplace.

ConsPay is very low but aligned with the school's objective of maintaining tuition affordable for students

Interesting practices

Visiting Assisting Professor (Former Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsSmall campus, helpful faculty and staff.

ConsWas hired; a few weeks later no money to support the hire.

Great place to work

Associate Director (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsMy co-workers and manager make this a great place to work. Ideas are always valued and we are encouraged to come up with new ways of doing things more efficiently. I have never learned so much at a job and encouraged to continue learning either by attending conferences, taking certification classes or getting an MBA.

ConsI don't think there are any real cons of working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working through the fires of hell…

Student Services Counselor (Former Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsGreat foundation for working in education. Prepare you for your next position. Your next employer will get a superior employee.

ConsNo respect for lower-level staff who do the majority of the work. No prospect for advancement even if qualified. Employees regularly have to train their supervisors. High turnover, staff are regularly snapped up by better paying institutions. Also students word is always believed even when their is proof to contrary. This school needs to clean house starting upper mgmt. And pay their employees a wage that is comparable to other schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your Staff!!!! treat them better!!!! They cover your mistakes!!!!

awesome

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

Prosgood student atmosphere
    good faculty contacts
    great opportunities
    great place to teach

Consgood office space and equipment

Advice to Senior Managementneed more job positions for adjunct professors

Adjunct Prof.

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsFlexible schedule. Opportunity for more hours. Nice team.

ConsLow pay, large classes and no tenure. It's a nice place to get experience, but not for a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay

Overall very good, with a few significant flaws.

Instructor (Former Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsEfficient, helpful, friendly administrators and staff, accessible professors, modern technology and good IT support, generous training opportunities, prompt payment, nice campus, decent website.

ConsVery low adjunct pay, regardless of credentials. Some professors refuse to use technology, tremendously increasing the paperwork burden. No institution-wide adjunct orientation; adjuncts must construct their own syllabus. 3-hour classes. Inadequate literacy rate of students, with almost no understanding of how to be a college student.

Advice to Senior Management1) Raise the pay to a decent wage and you'll have high-quality, loyal adjuncts. $2,000 for 45 hours of teaching, with no compensation for time spent preparing, grading, communicating (adding up to even more than 45 hours on its own) is disgraceful. By the end of a semester, we're paying the college to work for them!
    2) Hold a formal orientation, rather than relying on a professor to tell a new adjunct everything, or create an adjunct handbook covering all aspects, e.g.: administrative requirements, standard grading rubric, who is the go-to person for what, and a "how to" section (get an ID card, parking sticker, email address, copier ID, post grades, etc.). Better yet, do both!
    3) Most of the students needed serious writing remediation, and orientation on how to be a college student!

Something you want to forget like a bad dream.

Assistant Director of PACT (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

Pros-There are so many job openings that you can get valuable higher ed experience.
    -A free degree.

Cons-Poor work/life balance.
    -Certain programs get preferential treatment.
    -Lack of transparency in senior management.
    -Lack of respect for employees who don't go along with the "program".
    -People quit so often its hard to get attached to your co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect, value their contributions and provide equitable pay for work requested.

Prospective employees who want to feel valued need not apply.

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

Pros- You are given so much responsibility that when you leave you will be able to find a better job making at least $5,000 to $10,000 more.
    - Working for this organization will make you appreciate any job that you get in the future.

Cons1) No clear job description and time off schedule - When you accept the job you will be sold on the generous time off and holiday schedule. Do not be fooled! If you work in departments that require student contact, you will be expected to work most weekends and some holidays (including Winter/Christmas break). Some employees who are not unionized consistently work more than 35 hours a week (thats all we get paid for) and are not given compensated time. Generally speaking, only if an employee works on the weekend will they be granted a day off in exchange. Also, most....let me repeat most employees have more than one job. For example in a traditional higher ed institution if you worked in student activities that would be your sole job responsibility. You may be assigned other tasks related to student activities but that would be it. At Mercy it is not uncommon for most employees who are responsible for student activities or other jobs that are traditionally one person's job to also have a full student caseload and are responsible for that students with academic advising, career counseling, admin reporting, etc. responsibilities.
    2) High turnover - Obviously based on what I stated above you can understand why this occurs. Unfortunately this creates an unpleasant work environment, similar to that of a prision, where everyone comisserates and whispers about the things they are going to do when they "get out" and get a better job.
    3) No respect for life outside of work - Once again you are almost expected to work beyond the 35 hrs a week you are paid for. (Just to be clear it is not uncommon to work from 9AM to 7PM on a daily basis in order to get all of your work done.) If you do not you are viewed as an employee who is "not dedicated" to the college and it will become difficult for you to get promoted, even if the work you produce is stellar. Often times college events and other projects are thrust upon you at the last minute forcing you make adjustments to your personal life to accomodate work. This includes holidays, often times non-unionized employees are given short notice (1 month or less) and have to change Labor Day and other weekend plans.
    4) The administration rules Mercy with an iron fist, similar to a dictatorship - Keep your opinions to yourself or face the consquences of being labeled a "difficult" employee or one who does not have a "positive" attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementI work with employees who are talented, student service oriented and highly educated. Since this is the case it is a shame that we are not valued enough to contribute our thoughts and ideas to this administration. The unofficial motto for the college is: "If you don't like it then get off the bus." If this administration doesn't start to value its employees there will be no Mercy College. Reports have proven that happy employees tend to be more productive and committed to the organization where they are employed.

Worked for Mercy College? Contribute to the Community!