Mercy College

www.mercy.edu

Mercy College Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
Mercy College – Bronx – “Mercy College - Bronx Campus”

Timothy Hall

Great Teamwork, Pleasant, Personable Atmosphere and Good Knowledge-Sharing Environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally staff members are pleasant and helpful. There is a great sense of knowledge sharing and willingness to help others succeed because in the end, it will be everyone's success. It is a small community so there is the opportunity to learn about other process areas.

ConsCan get involved in different projects which result in higher demands on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways spend time to understand and get to know your people. Understand their goals, skills and background, so that good employees are recognized and retained. Always maintain an open and welcoming atmosphere. This will allow potential growth opportunities and excellence always...

Overall, pretty good

ProsFantastic work/life balance, great student body, opportunity to take on work outside of your exact job description, mission-driven work, good benefits

Conscompensation is pretty low and titles REALLY matter here - to the point where you very well may not get a response to an email if your title is lower than the person you're trying to contact (noticed this multiple times). there is also a lack of transparency from senior management, though I'm optimistic that the new president will change that

A great place to work

Admissions Recruiter (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsA Flexible and enjoyable workplace.

ConsPay is very low but aligned with the school's objective of maintaining tuition affordable for students

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting practices

Visiting Assisting Professor (Former Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsSmall campus, helpful faculty and staff.

ConsWas hired; a few weeks later no money to support the hire.

Working through the fires of hell…

Student Services Counselor (Former Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsGreat foundation for working in education. Prepare you for your next position. Your next employer will get a superior employee.

ConsNo respect for lower-level staff who do the majority of the work. No prospect for advancement even if qualified. Employees regularly have to train their supervisors. High turnover, staff are regularly snapped up by better paying institutions. Also students word is always believed even when their is proof to contrary. This school needs to clean house starting upper mgmt. And pay their employees a wage that is comparable to other schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your Staff!!!! treat them better!!!! They cover your mistakes!!!!

Great place to work

Associate Director (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

ProsMy co-workers and manager make this a great place to work. Ideas are always valued and we are encouraged to come up with new ways of doing things more efficiently. I have never learned so much at a job and encouraged to continue learning either by attending conferences, taking certification classes or getting an MBA.

ConsI don't think there are any real cons of working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Very corporate

ProsThere are genuinely good people here making up the foundation of the institution from entry level to lower level management.

ConsRegular employee turnover, uncompetitive salaries, poor work-life balance, inefficient use of technology, lacking communication between departments and across campuses, high prevalence of micromanagement

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people that you have hired. Oversight is important, but micromanagement strips confidence and creates a pervading sense of unease amongst a team. Value your employees time, they give a great deal of it at Mercy.

If possible would give zero or negative stars.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot much of anything I can think of. Some good lower level employees but don't count on them staying long.

ConsUpper management is absolutely atrocious. There is no room for growth, there is no respect for employees and their basic needs, the college as a whole is VERY out of compliance with federal regulations for higher educational institutions, they have the tendency to hire for one position and then put you in a different place. No wonder there is a union and no one wants to apply for any director positions (not that they would get them since they seem to think promoting from within is a terrible idea).

awesome

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Dobbs Ferry, NY

Prosgood student atmosphere
    good faculty contacts
    great opportunities
    great place to teach

Consgood office space and equipment

Advice to Senior Managementneed more job positions for adjunct professors

Frustrating, but good experience

ProsGood for a first job, learning opportunities available, meaningful to work with student population

ConsSalaries are embarrassing, a lot needs improvement across all departments

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be more visible to the community and interact more with staff. Policy decisions should take into account opinions of those at the bottom. Admissions needs new leadership, structure, and vision. Salaries should be competitive.

Worked for Mercy College? Contribute to the Community!