Mercy Health System Reviews

Reset
3.3
Mercy Health System President & CEO Javon Bea President
Javon Bea President

Pros
  • The work-life balance is pretty good (in 4 reviews)

• Patient care is the most rewarding job ever (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Nurses are unhappy in medical surgical units, and it reflects in the care of their patients (in 3 reviews)

• As a per diem employee getting cancelled for a shift--a mere ten minutes prior to that shift--was not uncommon (in 2 reviews)

1. t

Former Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Mercy Health System (More than a year)

Pros

Working here was a great experience

Cons

Hospital needs to expand to service more of the public from that area

2. Hostess/tray passer from kitchen

Former Contractor - Food Service Aide in Darby, PA
    Former Contractor - Food Service Aide in Darby, PA

I worked at Mercy Health System as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with patients was nice. Mostly the staff was friendly. The work wasn't hard but they do expectations when it comes knowledge of the therapeutic diets

Cons

No chance for moving up from per diem to part time or full time like I was told there would be. If hospital doesn't have a lot of patients admitted they will call you and tell you not to come a few hours before the shift...

Advice to Management

Give the per diem workers a chance for moving up to permanent positions instead of having department monopolized by the full timers

3. MERCY SUBURBAN HOSPITAL, can take it because I need employment but really ready to just leave it! Tired of settling!!!

Current Employee - Professional Support Staff in East Norriton, PA
    Current Employee - Professional Support Staff in East Norriton, PA

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff that genuinely cares for the community and low income families needing medical care. Caring & dedicated medical and support staff.

Cons

A lot of "do as I say and not as I do" directors + managers. It's not what you know but who you know. Certain management personnel are just flat out BULLIES that walk around flexing on their staff with an "I dare you to disagree with me attitude". Very rarely do you hear a simple "Thank You". Good, strong & smart employees have walked out and called it quits b/c of Mgmt. behavior and attitudes. Employees come in stressed because of the way they're treated, and spoken to. Mgmt sits behind their desk and try to run the department from what they see on paper and hear-say from their "buddies", not by going to all areas within the department to at least acknowledge and understand what some employees do and go through to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Words to mgmt: #1- A simple "thank you" goes a long way! #2- Stop telling employees what they can't or shouldn't do and then you're caught doing the exact same things you've warned and/or reprimanded your employees for doing. #3- Bullying doesn't and will never get you respect, what it will get you is fed-up employees that will throw in the towel without warning. #4- You're not above getting your hands dirty, jump in the trenches once in a while and be part of the solution not a paper shuffling, pencil pushing part of the problem. #5- Last, but certainly not least, please spare everyone of all your "I used to work there and did these awesome things" for whatever hospital/organization you WORKED (past tense) for. If you were that great, and so valuable to these places why are you not there??? Remember, your reputation will all precede you...that's anywhere & everywhere you go. Good news travels quick, but bad news moves at light breaking speed!!!

5. GREAT!

Current Employee - Data Entry in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Data Entry in Newtown Square, PA

Pros

Management is great and willing to work to help employees. Company thrives off of strong mission statement and will continue to grow.

Cons

Many employees here are working to get through school/waiting to find a new opportunity. If this company could transfer to have employees who would like to be there, it will prosper.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do. Management is very positive and tries its best to motivate its employees. In certain divisions they have benefits for those who work hard and all departments should do so.

6. Union Nursing offering top salary

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Norristown, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Norristown, PA

Pros

Small family based facility. Great nursing and medical staff to work with.

Cons

Stopped utilizing LPNs to become Magnet Status

Advice to Management

Should have offered loyalty to your long time LPN staff by offering a progam inhouse or contracted to grandfather us in to RN staus...

7. It was a transitionary step; there was a hiring freeze on full-time employees for the job that they hired me.

Former Contractor - Mental Health Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Contractor - Mental Health Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Mercy Health System as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Providing patient care and a modicum of autonomy in which to do it were given here.

Cons

As a per diem employee getting cancelled for a shift--a mere ten minutes prior to that shift--was not uncommon.

Advice to Management

Listen to all of your employees for feedback-not just administrators.

8. Brief insight of former employer. I loved working at this hospital and having the opportunity to service the patients.

Former Employee - Dischrg Planning Assistant in Norristown, PA
    Former Employee - Dischrg Planning Assistant in Norristown, PA

I worked at Mercy Health System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a pleasant one and I loved my job good working environment

Cons

Hospital is going through financial woes

Advice to Management

I had a good Manager and I liked working for him

9. Unfairness

Former Employee - CMA in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - CMA in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love caring for people and the main thing you have a job.

Cons

There is no promotions there they work you to death and don't pay overtime instead you have to leave early and if and when you do leave early you might get fired.

Advice to Management

You need to look into HR. they should all be fired. They get rid of the best workers and don't care about PATIENT first.

Everyday was a new adventure, never boring, and always kept you on your toes

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Darby, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Darby, PA

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits were good, the time off was adequate, and the people I worked with were good

Cons

The communication from the Senior staff lacked details and sometimes just did not communicate at all

Advice to Management

Share with the truth with the employees

11. Short take on MHS.

Current Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing to say at all. Typical work environment.

Cons

Nothing to say at all. Let the salary speak for itself. This is for a tech with almost 3 years experience.

RSS Feed </> Embed