Mercy Health System

Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

Mercy Health System President & CEO Javon Bea President
Javon Bea President

Pros
  • Work-life balance, benefits, allowed me to obtain my BS degree, (in 3 reviews)

• patient-care employees do what they do: Mercy is no exception (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They're concerned with policies and procedures that hinder my job but protects the hospital from potential lawsuits - such is the culture of healthcare (in 2 reviews)

• No room for professional growth (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Unfairness

Former Employee - CMA in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - CMA in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love caring for people and the main thing you have a job.

Cons

There is no promotions there they work you to death and don't pay overtime instead you have to leave early and if and when you do leave early you might get fired.

You need to look into HR. they should all be fired. They get rid of the best workers and don't care about PATIENT first.

Horrible Management= low morale

Current Employee - ED Technician in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - ED Technician in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively easy to work a lot of hours if wanted. There are a handful of great co-workers in each department.

Cons

Horrible wages. Management is a joke. Always understaffed & over worked. Favoritism. Schedule conflicts. DRAMA, every. single. day.

Do what they are trained to do (weird)! Delete favoritism. Actually supervise and monitor the employees that are excellent at making themselves look "busy". Build confidence among new hires instead of riding their a** so hard they feel defeated- it makes them less and less eager to impress when they're constantly put down. Actually provide real, solid training. They throw new hires out to the wolves too early because they don't want to cut into their budget and they're always understaffed. Provides an environment where mistakes can easily be made and cost them greater than if they just provided excellent & thorough training. If they hold their employees to a certain standard, than they should too! So when they are constantly screwing up schedules and not correcting certain behaviors within, they never assume responsibility or claim any fault on their behalf. They should be getting write-ups, not those trying to improve the environment and make a difference. Instead the person that peeps up on everyone's behalf gets 'red-flagged' - don't you say A WORD of any disapproval of any kind, they'll make it so miserable at work you are forced to quit. It's childish and pathetic.

Short take on MHS.

Current Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Emergency Room Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing to say at all. Typical work environment.

Cons

Nothing to say at all. Let the salary speak for itself. This is for a tech with almost 3 years experience.

Very dysfunctional

Former Employee - Receptionist
    Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Mercy Health System part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Starting pay isn't bad. If you want a lot of hours as part time, you can get them. Part time does work around personal schedules most of the time.

Cons

Too many egos and bullies (the doctors and nurse mostly, but some of the receptionist as well). If your not part of the old gang, watch out. You get blamed for everything and told how to do things wrong, then they deny it. People go out of their way to embarrass a person in front of patients. Some locations are worse than others. There are a few that are pretty decent. The formal training, if you can get it, is great. The onsite training is pathetic at best. Large turnover with this place. I talked to the formal trainers about situations (some were HR people) and nothing changes or gets done. One person even told me that some of what was brought up has been going on for years. Good luck if you decide to work there.

Get rid of personnel that can't be bothered with policy and start enforcing policy even with the team leads. Team leads can be the worst at bullying. They always defend their long time buddies and make accusations about the new person. Starting listening to the complaints and watch the turnover rates at some locations. Something needs to be done. Smile class should not be for only doctors. Everyone should allowed to take it. Many need it. Employees have been told that if you recommend someone for the smile class, it will cost you the job. WAKE UP AND LISTEN AND PAY ATTENTION.

Stressful!

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

health benefits, co-workers care about you

Cons

inaccessible management, incompetent management, lack of accountability from top to bottom, ineffective evaluations, terrible or nonexistent pay raises

appreciate your people, they make you what you are.

Bait and switch

Former Employee - MOR in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - MOR in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Mercy Health System

Pros

I liked my co-workers and the paid parking.

Cons

So much drama. I took a temp to hire. The job it's self was easy. It was the high school acting of management. Crazy non stop complaining. I would think twice before having anything to do with this company.

Stop fighting in front of staff and be more professorial.

The Home Health division is antiquated without evidence based practice guidelines, technology or informed leadership.

I have been working at Mercy Health System

Pros

Caring environment for the patients. Good benefit package.

Cons

Home Health division lacks direction, no physician champions and do not understand revenue cycles.

Home Health-re-assess productivity standards, implement standardized evidenced based guidelines, introduce a modern EMR to increase productivity

Lots of attitudes. Poor management

Current Employee - CNA in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - CNA in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Mercy Health System part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love working with the patients!

Cons

Lots of snooty attitudes. .Management not very helpful.

Management should put some thought into classes to build friendships or cut the drama.

Opportunities? What opportunities?

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Mercy Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good vacation time for a first job. 18 days your first year. OK medical benefits cost.

Cons

Lots of changing schedules. Seniority or job performance means nothing. It is who you socialize with. Lots of hiring from outside the company. I have seen my PCP twice, took over a month to get in each time and been cancelled on both times. Had to wait another month. went to ED and was seen by doctor for 30 secs and just sent me to Walgreens for over the counter medication that did nothing. I would compare the care to a fast food chain. In and out- it's all about the numbers.

Give feedback when asked. A few times I have asked upper management what I can do as an employee to succeed within the company and never get an answer, they just dance around the question. Reviews are just cookie cutter reviews, nothing specific to individual performance. I should not have to pay for my own training outside of the company.

37 years from Central Supply, Registration, Medical Records to Billing out 2ndary Ins after Medicare rev'd claim.

Former Employee - Patient Account Specialist in Janesville, WI
    Former Employee - Patient Account Specialist in Janesville, WI

I worked at Mercy Health System full-time

Pros

Many different Career Goals to go after.

Cons

Human Relations and Dept management problems towards employees.

Check closer into Directors & Management Positions & their Supervisor relations towards the employees.