Mercy Housing

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lillian Murphy

Mercy Housing is a great place to work

Senior Human Resources Payoll (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThis place is awesome. The people are wonderful. Management really cares about their employees.

ConsThe location is not the greatest

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

RUN RUN RUN RUN...DO NOT WORK FOR MERCY HOUSING SOUTHEAST IN ATLANTA OR ANY OFFICE

ProsSister Lillian is retiring and Jane Graf is taking over the ENTIRE COMPANY...every city...every Geographical Business Center....you have no idea what that means if you never worked there. The Pros....that was Sister Lillian.

ConsThere are too many to name. The only people that last are those in the "good ole boys club", mainly in Denver, the corporate office...but overall..the best analogy that I can give you to make you understand. Denver, the corporate office is "The Capitol" in the movie Hunger Games...and the rest of us fight to stay out of the games. We fight to not be sacrificed because our senior leadership consist of a bunch of individuals who make a PLETHORA of money, but make terribly stupid decisions. Every time someone is hired, I just shake my head because I know that they will hate it and either quit or get fired. Please, if you read this, especially if you are in Atlanta or Savannah....run the other way. I know you think that this review is just from a disgruntled employee, that is not the case...I have been there for years now and I am finally leaving. I gave it my best shot. I work with talented individuals (well the ones who didn't get fired or quit), who hide in the kitchen near the water cooler discussing the latest catastrophic event that we all shake our heads at..including the latest firing or write up for an employee because the policies and structures in place are designed for "The Capitol". I have had so many coworkers who either quit or leave and say to me, "Why didn't you tell me." I always respond, "It was too late, you were already hired and I am so sorry that I was unable to warn you. I'm sorry that you are going through this and I am sorry that you passed up another job to take a job here." The saying around Mercy Housing is that "Mercy has no Mercy". Long gone are the days of the true authentic compassion of the Sisters who started Mercy Housing. You can start with Jane Graf, aka "President Snow" (Hunger Games) and circle around to the rest of her crew for the demise of the true spirit of Mercy Housing. RUN. DON'T LOOK BACK. YOU ARE WELCOME.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no point in giving advice to management. They do not listen to their employees. Trust me. I have watched this for years. H.R. is not H.R. Advice to management? You can start with senior leadership in Denver, send them on their way.

Dysfunctional Management

Property Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSalary is slightly better than those at similar non-profits for these positions

ConsVery frustrating and confusing environment for an experienced, committed property manager. Mid-managers and supervisors, in my experience, were inexperienced as to basic landlord/tenant and property laws and, more importantly, the nuances of managing supportive/affordable housing and the resident populations they house.

Too much turnover for on-site staff, most likely due to careless hiring decisions for line staff - for example, hiring inexperienced residents for both line and management staff. Supervisors and Area Managers that lack any social or human services background as well as a sufficient amount of experience in the always-challenging Bay area rental market. The net result of this is insufficient and/or inconsistent oversight for building managers, managers that mismanage property finances, managers that initiate wrongful evictions and the like.

Advice to Senior ManagementVet your management staff better

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I started out being satisfied working here, but no longer. Employees often get promotions when they don't deserve them.

ProsGreat co- workers. Great time off package. I also agree with the other reviewer who stated "it feels like you do good work."

ConsThey aren't always transparent, sometimes jobs aren't posted so people can't even apply internally and they are given to friends of the directors. People are promoted into positions that they aren't capable of performing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter employee recognition.

Mercy Housing is a great company to work for... the mission is well represented on all levels

Area Director (Former Employee)

ProsMercy Housing has exceptional benefits and can offer a great pay structure if you negotiate properly. Most people are great to work with and for. The company lives its mission and expects the same from its employees. RESPECT JUSTICE MERCY! The own a majority of their properties which is a plus in many ways. Company is VERY transparent... posts all open jobs and promotes from with in.

ConsEmployee recognition relies greatly on who there manager/supervisor is. Vacation time is great if you get a chance to use it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter employee recognition.

No Accountability

Corporate Officer (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsFeel like you do good work

ConsA bunch of big shots making tons of money and doing a crappy job in the corporate office. Absolutely no accountability for stealing, lying and doing poor work. It is a sham.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

I learned a lot, but was frustrated with lack of structure and inefficiencies.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsEveryone is very nice. The office was pretty laid back.

ConsPay was not market rate obviously given it is a nonprofit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBudget more efficiently so you're not laying people off randomly! It is expensive and hurts your reputation.

Great mentoring and supervisor support, tough workplace.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSupervisors are knowledgeable, competent and supportive. Their support provided me with the mental and physical space to take the - sometimes radical - measures necessary to improve the operations of my property.

ConsMercy is a large, management-intensive company and its current (as of 2010) method of disseminating best practices to its people in the field is simply too cumbersome to remain effective. By the time new operating practices have been disseminated and incorporated by site teams, executive leadership has already developed new operating practices. This rapid development and slow dissemination does not provide site teams the opportunity to help craft new operational practices - leading to feelings of disenfranchisement with their organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour Property Managers are your connection to each individual site team. Spend much more time training your Property Managers how to train their staff and you will dramatically reduce the time and money spent on site staff headaches.

Mercy Housing

Information Technology (Former Employee)

ProsNon-Profit. Company values are very good. Mercy Housing is a non-profit firm that provides affordable housing to the less privileged. Their company culture is more like a family based culture.

ConsMercy Housing shares a building with other companies. And so, there isn't that feel of working into a company building every morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more friendly approach to people. Also, more get-together's outside the company structure could enhance productivity since people are likely to work as friends and colleques.

Worked for Mercy Housing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mercy Housing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mercy Housing CEO Lillian Murphy. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Mercy Housing employees.