Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa

2.5

Tim Charles

Review

I worked at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa

Pros

The people that work there are great. Most of them are friendly and will help out any time you need them.

Cons

Management of some of the floors is very unorganized and some of them tend to have "favorite" people that get away with anything while the rest of the floor crew gets to pick up the rest of the work. They started trying a new scheduling system before I left working there. If you were not needed because of staffing needs for the shift, you were put on-call automatically. That was fine, but they decided that it was every four hours of the shift. You would have to wait every four hours by your phone to see if you were going to be called in to work or not. If you were scheduled to work a 12 hour shift, it got to be a very long day of waiting.

Figure out a new scheduling system and how to keep up on employee morale.

The nights team on pulmonary medicine center (MedSurg) are great at orienting new nurses.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Certifications (ACLS, PALS, ETC) paid for out of an education fund in form of 8 hours. Lots of scholarships for ongoing ed. Pt ratios are good on overnights (4-6). Great clinical ladder program and opportunities to be involved with committees of interest.

Cons

Haven't increased starting wage for new nurses in two years for cost of living increases. Need to work out some staffing links to ensure plenty of nurses and techs for all shifts and less mandating occurs.

Do not recommend.

Current Employee - Patient Accounts in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Patient Accounts in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, you can work at home if you meet requirements, but don't hold your breath.

Cons

Management is wishy washy. Has no firm policies in place. Each dept can make own policies as they go. Lots of drama, employees treat each other with disrespect over & over--no one ever does anything about it.

Work on office culture more.

Lost in Space

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fellow staff that support each other in trying to keep the place going and provide top quality patient care.

Cons

Too many Indian chiefs at executive level with their own personal agendas. They are inexperienced and struggling. This deficit is well known in the community. Some should stick to practicing in private practice and not be at that executive level. A level of intimidation and fear of repercussions amongst front line staff. There are large deficits in the HR dept and lacking effective leadership. Feel bad for CEO and CNO
    For they are left holding the bag and they are surrounded by amateurs in the executive roles.

Do not always promote from internal but also if
    There are managers that are not supportive of the Mercy Culture. these folks at all levels need to be shown the door. Also to all management be approachable be visible and be friendly.

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonable salaries, wages and benefits. Generous PTO, competitive pay, many optional benefits to take advantage of. Sometimes promoting from within is not the best for the organization.

Cons

Executive management does not have patient's best interests at heart. It seems beating the competitor is more important than enhancing the excellent care certain departments offer.

Focus less on competition and more on patients. Be more genuine and more accessible to all employees. Be less concerned with status and more in touch with customers.

Excellent in providing health care to the community

I worked at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Offer very good wages and benefit packages.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are limited and infrequent.

Good Intentions

Current Employee - Pct in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Pct in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've met a ton of great people that I am friends with outside of work, often a lot of teamwork, people actually care about their patients. Those with more training will gladly teach new skills, and you can attend workshops for new training easily.

Cons

With the dawn of EPIC (charting systems) there have been a lot of cutbacks - raises don't happen, good patient care supplies are switched for bad ones that are cheaper, etc. A lot of turnover - I don't know 90% of the floor I started on in the past two years! I really have a hard time stomaching the drama, as well as picking up the slack of dragging coworkers. A lot of your happiness will depend on the floor you work on. Also there have been shortages in staff. I've worked on floors with dangerously low staffing, I was actually uncomfortable with it. Oh and one reviewer said there's an onsite gym? Yeah we call that the fitness closet. Not a gym. A tiny room with a dual corner cable machine and some cardio equipment. It's not really a con but it is not a gym, sorry.

They come off as really not appreciating the entirety of the work of the floor staff (nursing, dietary, housekeeping, etc) and it shows through pay and staffing. Listen to your employees - send out a survey on what would make them happier maybe!

New motto: "The Mercy Touch" as long as it doesn't cost too much

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Because of high staff turnover and thus less staff, lots of opportunity to pick up extra hours. Gift certificate for cafeteria/gift shop at Christmas and birthday. Good nurse residency and orientation programs. Can park closer to hospital (in ramp) at night and on weekends. Get 8 hours of pay and $200 annually toward conferences/CEUs. Good clinical ladder program.

Cons

- Parking if working day shift (its actually dangerous due to a run down neighborhood)
    - Shift differential way too low (compared to the hospital up the street)
    - High administrator turn over; current CEO was much more effective when in a secondary administrative position
    - Focus is on money, not what is best for patient
    - Benefits okay, but very low pay with no raises for 3 years (at least) despite being promised raises last summer (this was stopped the week before the raises were going to go into effect)
    - Hospital is "Midas" happy - have to write each other up for even the smallest infractions rather than simply talking to each other
    - Some units are extremely "clicky"
    - We're getting burned out by working so much to be sure our patients (and staff) are safe

Recommend getting a CEO that is honest, employee and patient oriented, and less focused on money. No longer allowing pudding to be kept on our unit (so nurses can crush meds and put them in pudding) is not going to save you that much money. Turning off lights on the 8th and 8th building would probably save more money (it is lit up like a Christmas tree every night - all five floors, almost every room). Get priorities straight. Start doing things to retain employees. Every time a nurse quits, it costs close to $88,000 to replace them. I would think a small raise for employees to show appreciation for our hard work would be a lot cheaper than that, especially given all the people we've lost since this summer.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are NO pros to working here.

Cons

Pay is not great and can't even take vacation due to no help! Poor managers/supervisors; the worst I've seen!

Make employees happy, otherwise they won't stay. Grant vacation when requested and make sure there is adequate back up for that person so they can enjoy vacation time. Employees don't get much vacation anyway and no paid holidays. The only way holidays are paid is because that time has to come out of earned vacation time - that's not paid holidays, that's taking vacation! No room for growth in this company either unless you're a RN, there might be, but other areas there is not.

Systems Analyst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time

Pros

The best reason to work at Mercy is the ability to wear jeans to work.

Cons

Challenges of working at Mercy in the e-services settings is the lack of compensation for hard work and dedication. Being with Mercy for many years, showing your dedication to a company and working hard to ensure end users are happy is not recognized. A previous employee was making at least $12,000 more walking in the door with no previous background in the same field. Dedication and hard work do not pay off here.