Mercy Medical Center - Des Moines

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good place to work

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsGreat salary, reasonable paid time off, insurance benefits are respectable.

ConsMercy is owned by a corporation and it completely changes the goal of patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is easy to let employees under mid management get lost in the crowd. I can only imagine how difficult it is to juggle the needs of the patient with the requirements of corporation. I don't know how you would remedy that. This may be the new direction of health care.

Decent care for patients, not so for employees

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsWork sort of matters, at least to the patients you work with every day

ConsTURNOVER IS RiDICULoUS. How is a hospital supposed to provide good care to patients when it's staff of nurses turn over every two hearsay and the majority are recent college grads? How are the employees supposed to support themselves on an un guaranteed raise lower than the standard of living? Management is so afraid of their bosses or losing their jobs that nothing changes and we suffer, meaning the care suffers. So much potential, wasted on fear and selfishness.

Advice to Senior ManagementWise up, treat your best workers like you want them to be there, stop dis incentivizing them., and stop being so afraid of the ivory tower people.

Disappointed and Ashamed.Not varied

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsAmazing non management nursing staff. Awesome teamwork, hardworking, and caring people with critical thinking skills. Fast pace, never dull, ever changing. All the hours you want. Learn something new everyday. Patient advocacy aways.

ConsManagement! Directors that do not work the floor and can not do what they themselves ask of the staff. Forever working understaffed. I nearly never getting a lunch. Being loyal and going over and beyond for greater than 15 years and not getting any loyalty or respect in return. Less and less seasoned staff replaced by 2-3 new grads.with less skills. No reason to stay incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff turn over is not related to normal population changes. It is from the unhealthy work atmosphere that is maintained by management. Directors that are so stressed that they come off behaving Bi Polar. Management do not follow values. Do what I say not what I do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

(Receptionist/Scheduler) Mercy East Clinic is a fun place to work with a great staff and work environment.

Receptionist/Scheduler (Former Employee) Pleasant Hill, IA

ProsVariety of shifts, pleasant work environment, large clinic with a small family feel, training provided, excellent caring doctors, great staff, employee meals provided on regular basis, fun activities/social committee, short commute from surrounding cities

ConsSalary does not reflect experience level, exposure to sick people, opportunities for growth within company limited, must work some holidays/weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend speaking to departments in person about areas needing improvement. The mass emails often felt impersonal, accusatory, and demeaning.

Job security but home/work life balance is lacking

Staff Nurse (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsJob security for nurses. Knowledgeable physician and nursing leadership that role model excellent evidence based care for patients.

ConsConstant turnover of nursing staff as nothing is done to retain experienced nurses and constant influx of new nurses from college.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to retain experienced nurses and improve home/work life balance.

horrible for nurses

Nurse (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsThe nurses are doctors along with patients are much nicer than you would expect to meet in a similiar situation

ConsThe nurses, receptionists and housekeeping are very underpaid since mercy along with Iowa health has a monopoly on health care jobs. Since there are only two large employers they work together to artificially suppress wages for anyone less than a doctor or mngmt.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider showing your employees respect in the form of wage compensation not just hollow words.

Learned enough but time to move on

ProsLearning experience for after high school students

ConsPay needs to be more competitive

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Mercy Medical Center - Des Moines? Contribute to the Community!