Mercy Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.5

Mercy President and CEO Lynn Britton
Lynn Britton

Pros
  • It's a Faith Based Hospital Organization (in 5 reviews)

• No one can join Mercy and not feel passionate about providing the best care and experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • behavior tolerated from some management level employees (given the non-profit humanitarian values posted) (in 3 reviews)

• upper management is not trained appropriately (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shared Governance
    Continual Growth
    Performance Improvement
    Strives to be the primary health care provider for the community
    Constructive feedback provided on employee performance
    Pride in the delivery of exceptional care

Cons

Compensation compared to other facilities in the area or region
    Frequency of ongoing training
    Forced to eliminate certain positions as a result of continual changes in health care

Good for the most part. Too much red tape and process nonsense.

Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got the opportunity to learn countless things that I was never aware of before, but that was due to the people that worked there. In my department they allow you to work from home for a portion of your time, which makes life much easier. There is great potential to make Mercy an almost true agile environment. Leadership is super friendly, and office culture is pretty laid back. The opportunity for personal growth and learning has been outstanding.

Cons

There is endless red tape and silly politics at Mercy. The pay is dismal compared to other companies. They told everyone that they were going to lay about 300 people off two weeks before they did it. This department lost quite a few very good people, not to the layoffs, but because they found employment when it was announced that Mercy was going to lay people off. Training was adequate, but nothing specialized in the specific technologies we were going to use.

Stop being so strict about all of the million processes that are in place. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to figure out why something didn't work during a deploy that is going on at 8PM for no valid reason. If every production app has more than one server and is set up with a failover, there is NO downtime to deploying an app. If you deploy to one server, test to be sure everything worked, then deploy to the other server/servers, no one would know the difference. There's no reason to force your employees to be on a phone call at 8PM that could've been done during standard work hours. Please stop this nonsense.

A very nice, friendly place to work, focused on serving others and excellent patient care.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mercy has a very friendly, supportive culture focused on providing excellent service to our patients. We are passionate about our mission to serve. We provide outstanding patient care.

Cons

The culture is friendly and supportive, but also clumsy. It's often difficult to get simple things done. Salaries may be on par for clinical workers, but are below industry averages for IT.

Listen to your subordinates. Promote from within rather than bringing in friends from the outside.

Working at Mercy was the best nine years of my life at any employer.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mercy is focused on co-worker satisfaction and promotes a very respectful environment, much different than my previous employer. I found co-workers and most leaders to really embrace the culture.

Cons

My position was eliminated due to financial headwinds. I understand that every company has those, and especially due to reduced reimbursements from the new healthcare mandate, Mercy is experiencing those as well. However, it is difficult to see them spend huge amounts of money on things that don't matter and then cut positions that affect their people.

Do more video conferences and let private jet travel. Quit renovating conference rooms that are perfectly fine.

Great mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caring for people is the life of Mercy and is ingrained throughout all activities and interactions. No one can join Mercy and not feel passionate about providing the best care and experience. Patient Care is best in the midwest

Cons

In the Technology services division leadership is non-committal, kowtow to all requests, reactionary in all directions, and offer very little encouragement for personal growth.

MTS Leadership will need to believe in coworkers to manage, lead, and make the right decisions without micro management and need for every thought to be critiqued and ridiculed. There are great individuals in this division that could bring about great successes if given the opportunity.

Living the Mission against the grain

I worked at Mercy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Deeply imbedded in faith and patient focused mission. Staff has pride and passion in what they do day in and day out.

Cons

Pay for performance. Decision making is difficult and is not done timely. Changing positions is difficult once in the organization.

People get into healthcare make a difference. Work life balance is exceptional. It is important to understand that ever leader is on the same page when it comes to policy so all employees are treated fairly because it creates tension. Allow operational decisions to be made where the work takes place and trust they are drawing in the resources needed to make the right decisions, if not hold them accountable. People want personal recognition and growth. They want to know they are needed, appreciated and trusted. Ensure all employees know and understand the organization can not function with out the exceptional skills. Each position and employee adds value to their day to day activities but do not always feel appreciated. Ensure leaders understand the long term goals for each employee and have a plan to help them achieve it. If an employee helps you reach your goals you should help them reach their goals.

Empowering Agile Shop

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mercy matches some 401k contributions and makes additional 401k contibutions based on tenure, which is very nice. They have clear job descriptions and advancement paths. They have a great work life balance: flex hours and work from home. The custom software department is an Agile shop, so it respects the time of the developer. The coworkers are very empowered to change things for the better.

Cons

PTO, holiday, and sick leave are all in the same bucket. The medical benefits weren't up to par with my last job and have gradually been decreasing in beneftit. There is however a lack of vision from management; coworkers seem to be the major driving force of bettering the custom software department.

Don't just empower the coworkers, lead them. Betterment needs to come from both management and coworkers.

I worked in the MTS (IT department). Overall it is ok. No growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Applications Administrator IV in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Administrator IV in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

less work , people sit idle, no IT direction. Good for anyone just needing a paycheck and not concerned about having a challenging environment and growth. People just sit in their cubes and yawwwn.lol

Cons

no challenges, no growth. if you like a slow work ; no growth kind of profile, it is for you. People get fired anytime for no reason, specially the faithful ones celebrating their 10+ years of anniversary.Lots of favoritism. Internal job transfer is a joke- you have to tell your current boss before applying for another internal position so that he can hate you for life and make sure you do not grow anymore.

Great people with a wonderful history and vision, not all of our leaders understand the importance of either of these...

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the values and mission started by the Sisters of Mercy. The focus is truly of providing the best health care available to all regardless of their ability to pay for these services. Pay is competitive with the region for most employees.

Cons

Promotions within Information Technology are rare unless you embrace moving to St Louis, MO. Many of the current leaders were promoted by nepotism as opposed to skill, ability, or experience. Most of these bumble along doing their own thing, ignoring the directives of upper management. When asked for status reports all report "All is well", move along nothing to see here. Upper Management seeks keen to do so, never making any real progress or meaningful change.

Get a clue, leave your office and get out and ask probing open ended questions to entry level employees without the supervisor within earshot. Stop the endless and pointless abuse of conference calls.

Good, but very slow to react and get things done in a timely manner!

I worked at Mercy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

The VP was clueless about how to market in today's world.

Move quicker, add more resources and empower your employees to make a decision without the whole company signing off.