Mercy Reviews

Reset
3.4
Mercy President and CEO Lynn Britton
Lynn Britton

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good for the most part (in 5 reviews)

• It's a Faith Based Hospital Organization (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of these bumble along doing their own thing, ignoring the directives of upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Like any other non profit organization, they pay is not the best (in 3 reviews)

1. Mercy Hospital

I worked at Mercy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company built on a foundation of caring. Co-workers care for the patients and visitors that walk in the door. Salaries are comparable with other facilities in the area.

Cons

Too much growth in Oklahoma area too quickly. Federal cuts in reimbursements has forced major cutbacks within the company. Quickly turning into a large corporation rather than the close knit family it has been for years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the co-workers closely, but not in a LEAN "how can you do better" way. Listen in a manner that reflects true care to solve the problems and move toward the future.

2. UA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Reno, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Reno, OK

I have been working at Mercy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

15 bed hospital. Coworkers and management are amazing. Not too hurried. Good patient to nurse ratio. No metro traffic.

Cons

Limited experiences. Low pay. bad building infrastructure. Sometimes it rains inside.

3. empolement

I have been working at Mercy part-time

Pros

Hopefully will help me find a job in my field

Cons

may over load my e-mails with thing that do not pertain to my field.

5. PSA

I have been working at Mercy full-time

Pros

Three days. Twelve hour shifts. Management is very open and understanding. Loved my co workers. Uniform was a nice thing

Cons

Pay. Don't work here then try to transfer. They don't factor in your experience before them in the pay. 8 occurances for a years time not enough.

Advice to Management

Up the occurances. And the pay could be better. Always construction on things that look fine.

Great People but Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The co-workers are the best part of Mercy. They believe in the mission and strive to uphold the values that were established by the Sisters. If you are a nurse, you have good continuing eduction and development opportunities. However these are virtually non-existent for non-nurse positions. The size of the organization allows for transfer opportunity.

Cons

Executive leadership is the single biggest con to this organization. They lack the experience to guide this organization through a post Affordable Health Care Act world. The result has been four RIFs in as many years. You have to hold your breath when Mercy freezes jobs in February because that means a RIF in June which is the end of the fiscal year. Many people (but not all) are selected for the RIF not because of their lack of productivity or quality of work, but because they have voiced an opinion that is contrary to senior leadership.

They utilize a talent assessment system to profile their employees and potential hires. While there is nothing wrong with the assessment itself, their use of it borders on illegal and can create a disparate impact on protected classes. Many qualified and experienced people were not hired or passed by for a promotion because they "did not pass" the assessment. Of course they do not tell you this citing your results are confidential. Therefore transparency is lacking.

Now if you work in a hospital or clinic, you will be ignorant of most of these issues. Most people on that side are unaware of the corporate corruption.

To anyone wondering, I was not part of a RIF. I voluntarily left on my own accord. Also I was never passed by for a promotion. In fact I was promoted several times. I do have a moral compass and think it is important for people to know what they are getting into if they join this organization.

Advice to Management

My advice is not to management but to the board of directors. If you want to turn this organization around, you need executive leadership who have the experience and ability to guide the organization through the rough waters that is now health care.

7. IT Consultant

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Greenwood, AR
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Greenwood, AR

I have been working at Mercy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great. Frequent and generous training opportunities. The CEO is great!

Cons

Often working without support from other staff or outside vendors. Long hours can begin to wear on you.

Advice to Management

Expand into larger markets, hire more staff, and as always.. keep the awesome culture!

8. Mercy

I worked at Mercy

Pros

It is a Steady work

Cons

Supervisor plays host to favorites

Full-Time Field Paramedic

Current Employee - Paramedic in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Mercy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great protocols and equipment. Treat employees good when compared to AMR and other for-profit EMS providers. Coming from Southern California working there as an EMT for 10+ years, the call volume is slow and the schedule is great.

Cons

Just coming into this century when it comes to how EMS is run. They're a little behind but are making attempts to catch up quickly. Also, health insurance coverage is horrific. I thought I had it bad when I was covered by Kaiser back home. But this is really bad. And the fact that all my care is received at the same hospital I work for just adds insult to injury.

Advice to Management

Think before you act. Be proactive and not reactive.

10. Rear view review...

I worked at Mercy (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very busy and professional work environment.

Cons

Strong non-clinical business approach to serving the direct needs of its most important client-the patient.

Advice to Management

Remember for whom you work .

11. RN

I have been working at Mercy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

treat employees well
    good hours. low nurse to patient ratio.

Cons

low paying. management not that great.

RSS Feed </> Embed