Mercy

Mercy Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Mercy President and CEO Lynn Britton

Lynn Britton

Pros
  • Good hardworking people, laid back environment (sometimes), flex hours, Faith based(in 5 reviews)

• This is more than a job, it is a ministry in serving others(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • behavior tolerated from some management level employees (given the non-profit humanitarian values posted)(in 3 reviews)

I love the atmosphere at Mercy

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Sunset Hills, MO

ProsThe people are caring. Management cares if you succeed. The mission is important and a good one. They live by their mission. Every day you feel like you are helping people.

ConsMedical industry budget cuts. Just went through a lay off. Rumor is, there are more coming.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote from within

Great place to work

EPIC Applications Coordinator (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsManagement is always attentive to what you have to say, yearly anonymous review to get feedback for your bosses. Staff really takes pride in the work that they build in the system.

ConsPay. With any faith based, not for profit company you will run into this though. Cutting back employees but still moving forward just as fast to make more $$$

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the layers of management in half, before laying off more people.

Great Place to Work.

Medical Assistant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood benefits. Faith based values that are reflected in the service provided to patients. Strives to stay on top of current technologies. Employer contributes to 401k plan. Generous vacation benefits. Having been an employee for two decades and a patient several times, I would recommend Mercy to any prospective applicant, as well as anyone seeking healthcare.

ConsHealth ins benefits are relatively inexpensive, but over the years (and I have been with Mercy for over 20 years), the deductibles and co-insurance have increased extensively. Merit increases every year, but are only 3-5 percent in my experience. Typical in a not for profit company however. Recent staff cuts are also a concern, but this is across the board in health care these days.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to value your staff who have tenure. Their experience and dedication are an invaluable asset.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits, widely variable salary/hourly, huge company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMercy provides excellent benefits including health, dental, vision for your family at a very reasonable cost, PTO, extended sick/maternity leave, retirement with match, and licensing fees. For providers they also provide CME time/money.

ConsWith such a huge company, change takes a long time-- years. Also, as it's such a huge company, then employees may oftentimes feel like a number instead of a valuable asset to the company. Areas are restructured often, and extremely.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that you regularly convey gratitude to employees, rather than assuming that compensation and benefits are enough.

Organization has been in a downward spiral over the past 3 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood colleagues and people on the front lines that truly care about the patient's well-being.

ConsCorporate executive leader literally said, "I have the reputation for being a slave driver" and "I'm going to crack the whip". Crazy, right!?!? That is exactly how you are observed as a co-worker, a slave to the pointless initiatives that come out of the endless, self-promoting meetings at the executive level.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop yammering on about transformation and "a new brand" of healthcare. Ground the corporate jet and start paying attention to the crap care patients are receiving from initiative distracted clinicians and poorly trained shared services co-workers (...especially the revenue cycle).

St. John's (Mercy) Springfield, MO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsWonderful foundation with mission, vision and values standing for many, many years. Faith based. Great front line staff - high quality, knowledgeable and compassionate.

ConsHave totally started devaluing long term employees that have remained loyal and steadfast for many, many years. They now look at this population as a liability due to higher salaries. Have had several layoffs/reduction in force over the last few years and have cut several wonderful, high performing staff. Since current CEO has been in place profits have dropped significantly and the individual community spirit (at the separate locations) is gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what makes Mercy great - the staff and the faith based values that many actually believe in as well as live by - not Sr Mgmt.

Mercy is truly a wonderful, caring and compassionate organization. I feel blessed to be part of this team.

Director, Health Information Management/Privacy Site Coordinator (Current Employee) Mountain View, MO

ProsThere are many reasons that I feel Mercy is an excellent company, however, I will just list a few. #1, they are caring about the patients but also very dedicated to the staff and encourage a positive growth oriented environment; 2, they listen; 3, Both motivation and drive are encouraged and you can be involved in as much of the organization as you want, 4, they strive to advance forward in all realms of healthcare, including virtual medicine, EHR growth and Patient Information.

ConsI really cannot think of many CONS other than like all jobs the pay is equitable but never enough, yet when looking at healthcare as a whole, and comparing to other organizations, Mercy is competitive, especially for the rural communities.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust continue to listen to the coworkers and communicate the growth within the organization.

Very good organization

ProsGood benefits, very good training, good working environment.

ConsLike any other non profit organization, they pay is not the best.

not a waste

Prospeople there are very nice

Consjobs are tedious and deal with the same things

Better than SSM

ProsStaff really takes pride in their work to make it the best. By best the best in STL. Staff doesn't seem so racially segregated. Everyone works as a team. Would recommend mercy to a friend to work and also be seen as a patient. Getting hired took about 2 months from first contact from HR.

ConsLike all hospitals, cutting staff to make money. Can't advance in nursing unless you have BSN. Health insurance benefits inexpensive but horrible and don't cover much. Cost me about $2000 to have baby at mercy, and I work there!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNurses need the support staff, they are the backbone to healthcare, do more for them.

Worked for Mercy? Contribute to the Community!