Mercy

Updated November 21, 2014
3.5

Mercy President and CEO Lynn Britton
Lynn Britton

Pros
  • There is a good work life balance with very little overtime expected (in 4 reviews)

• It's a Faith Based Hospital Organization (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • behavior tolerated from some management level employees (given the non-profit humanitarian values posted) (in 3 reviews)

• upper management is not trained appropriately (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Ministry minded

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Faith based mission focus. Great people. Great benefits. A real mission focus.

Cons

None. This is a great place to work.

It would be nice to have senior leadership visit offsite locations.

Nice faith based place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ardmore, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ardmore, OK

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family-like atmosphere, coworkers are always there for you, vision is great and expectations are high, competitive pay. Constant expectations from upper management is not as cut-throat as I've seen in other facilities, more of a tough-love environment. We feel like we are all components in the work toward the greater good. Not easy all of the time!

Cons

Health benefits are restrictive, only pay well if you use mercy system doctors/hospital, cutbacks are taking a toll, chronically short staffed partly due to shortage in the field, the culture is great but the lack of staff can make it incredibly stressful. The hospital is doing the best it can for patient care, I can assure you that.

Take a closer look at how much staff is truly needed, employees get fatigued when working on a skeleton crew for months and years on end. They are good as gold, but some relief would go far. Productivity numbers should be reviewed for accuracy.

Mercy is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist
    Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist

I have been working at Mercy part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Patient-oriented, customer service driven and friendly administration. Pay and benefits are fair, but it takes a long time to make a competitive wage compared to other therapy companies in our area.

Cons

Not many opportunities offered by Mercy for professional growth. Mercy does not offer an annual stipend for CEUs, license/certification dues.

Better collaboration with other disciplines, opportunities for interdisciplinary training (i.e., dysphagia screening). Clinic management needs better training at maintaining professional relationships with therapists and staff.

Lots of talented people that are not being used to the full potential

Former Employee - IT-Support Role in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - IT-Support Role in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people there truly care about their work and want to help the mission of the organization. Employee's will put in the extra effort to make sure projects are rolled out on time. Work/life balance is good for the most part.

Cons

Hard to get open positions backed-filled in a timely manner, which puts additional strain on remaining co workers. Career paths do not exist, so be prepared to stay in the position you start in. Hard to correct repeating issues due to a lack of resources.

Listen to your people that actually does the work. Help them get "enough" resources so they do not get burned out and seek employment somewhere else.

Is good job if willing to work late hours and are a fast worker with little need for one on one training.

Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Receptionist II in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Receptionist II in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful doctors and employees. Have good benefits and PTO time. Will train you in different area of office if requested.

Cons

Do not train new employees very well. They do not tell new medical assistants they will mosty be working later then set hours.

New emloyees need more one on one training.

Great organization, been with company 10+ years.

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work \ life balance, employees at times have to put in extra but is always expected.
    Education \ development management promotes educational growth.
    Opportunities to grow

Cons

Financial pressures are causing cutbacks everywhere.
    Growing too fast, unable to keep up with growth.
    Focused on more with less
    Rarely have chance to go back and fix \ clean up projects.

Have realistic goals and realize when goals are unrealistic.
    Communicate better with worker bees.

Good for the most part. Too much red tape and process nonsense.

Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got the opportunity to learn countless things that I was never aware of before, but that was due to the people that worked there. In my department they allow you to work from home for a portion of your time, which makes life much easier. There is great potential to make Mercy an almost true agile environment. Leadership is super friendly, and office culture is pretty laid back. The opportunity for personal growth and learning has been outstanding.

Cons

There is endless red tape and silly politics at Mercy. The pay is dismal compared to other companies. They told everyone that they were going to lay about 300 people off two weeks before they did it. This department lost quite a few very good people, not to the layoffs, but because they found employment when it was announced that Mercy was going to lay people off. Training was adequate, but nothing specialized in the specific technologies we were going to use.

Stop being so strict about all of the million processes that are in place. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to figure out why something didn't work during a deploy that is going on at 8PM for no valid reason. If every production app has more than one server and is set up with a failover, there is NO downtime to deploying an app. If you deploy to one server, test to be sure everything worked, then deploy to the other server/servers, no one would know the difference. There's no reason to force your employees to be on a phone call at 8PM that could've been done during standard work hours. Please stop this nonsense.

A very nice, friendly place to work, focused on serving others and excellent patient care.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mercy has a very friendly, supportive culture focused on providing excellent service to our patients. We are passionate about our mission to serve. We provide outstanding patient care.

Cons

The culture is friendly and supportive, but also clumsy. It's often difficult to get simple things done. Salaries may be on par for clinical workers, but are below industry averages for IT.

Listen to your subordinates. Promote from within rather than bringing in friends from the outside.

"Great employer"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Mercy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shared Governance
    Continual Growth
    Performance Improvement
    Strives to be the primary health care provider for the community
    Constructive feedback provided on employee performance
    Pride in the delivery of exceptional care

Cons

Compensation compared to other facilities in the area or region
    Frequency of ongoing training
    Forced to eliminate certain positions as a result of continual changes in health care

Working at Mercy was the best nine years of my life at any employer.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mercy is focused on co-worker satisfaction and promotes a very respectful environment, much different than my previous employer. I found co-workers and most leaders to really embrace the culture.

Cons

My position was eliminated due to financial headwinds. I understand that every company has those, and especially due to reduced reimbursements from the new healthcare mandate, Mercy is experiencing those as well. However, it is difficult to see them spend huge amounts of money on things that don't matter and then cut positions that affect their people.

Do more video conferences and let private jet travel. Quit renovating conference rooms that are perfectly fine.