Meredith College Reviews

CEO

1. Lead Greenhouse Student Assistant

Former Employee - Lead Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Meredith College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Understanding and Professional management; they were accommodating of student worker commitments and schedules.

Cons

The interaction of multiple groups on campus with the greenhouse can lead to communication problems or confusion.

2. Athletic Department

Former Employee - Meredith Athletics in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Meredith Athletics in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Meredith College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small, family-like atmosphere. Time-off policies are not too bad if working around game dates.

Cons

Not the best equipment, not too good on promotions either.

3. Enjoyable for the most part

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Meredith College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- co-workers in my specific department are great - we work well as a team - able to complete my degree at a reputable college for the cost of books - feel like you make a difference in students lives

Cons

- work in an old building where we either have to use space heaters and blankets or have a fan on high - mold - not enough space for everyone and materials - below average pay for the amount of work that is expected - decisions are made from higher up without consulting the people that actually do the work and we have to scramble to get a process in place in order to accommodate these newly created things - often times results in things being way more complicated than they need to be - not really any room for advancement in many departments

Advice to Management

Increase pay, renovate certain parts of Johnson Hall - not just the places visitors see

5. High turnover for good reason

Current Employee - Enrollment Research Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Enrollment Research Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Meredith College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great health and vacation benefits. Work-life balance mindset is healthy.

Cons

This is a very bureaucratic institution and opinions that differ from the status quo are not welcome. Promotions and raises are rare.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees by giving them opportunities to grow as professionals and treat them as if they are irreplaceable, or else you will likely be replacing them very soon

6. Great place to work ... minus the pay

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Meredith College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the sense of community between the faculty members. I immediately felt included when I started my position at Meredith College. I also love the small college atmosphere - the students are very comfortable coming to me for advice. I do feel very involved with recruiting as well, as faculty are asked to participate on a regular basis at Saturday recruiting events for the college.

Cons

The salary leaves a lot to be desired. According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, Meredith's salaries for Assistant Professors rank "far below median". Additionally, for someone interested in research, this is not the place to be. It's hard to understand from Meredith's website (which seems to promote research a LOT) that research funding is almost nil.

Advice to Management

Pay your faculty what they are worth! None of us are in this position to get rich, but paying the bills is a must. A decent salary will likely lead to a more committed faculty member in terms of not looking elsewhere for employment.

7. Meredith is a wonderful, supportive work environment for young professionals.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Meredith College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very personal feel of the campus - people will know you and you will have lots of opportunity to participate in things like the exercise program, speaker series, summer reading, etc. I felt very supported by the campus as a person and a professional. Lots of professional development opportunities.

Cons

It is difficult to navigate a large administration when you are trying to make significant and meaningful changes to your department.

Advice to Management

Many positive changes are already happening, but getting ideas from all levels of employment having administration be open to implementing new ideas.

8. Great place to work, salaries could be improved

I have been working at Meredith College

Pros

Collaborative work environment with dedicated, intelligent, caring individuals. Opportunities to expand and redefine job function. Materials (e.g. computers, supplies,etc.) readily available. Beautiful campus with lots of growth. Vibrant campus life for students. Institutional support (through guidance, some financial) for faculty initiatives.

Cons

Salaries are not as competitive as they could be, especially for the area. This is an adjunct faculty's experience, so salaries for tenured professors may be competitive.

RSS Feed </> Embed