Meredith Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meredith Corporation President, CEO, and Director Steve Lacy

Steve Lacy

Pros
  • Good people and work-life balance is important(in 13 reviews)

• Overall work environment is pleasant at times, highly political at other times(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management understands the work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

• During time I was there our department switched from being based in Des Moines to NY(in 5 reviews)

Great experience, nice office, people in the department were very nice

Fashion Department (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIts a great company. Lots of different magazines to work for. Good work life balance.

ConsFast paced, no room for error, hard to contact upper management if you have a problem.

"Family" corporation that needs more family.

Corporate Research (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people - hard, smart workers. I had a great manager which made a big difference. Collaborated with various teams to produce meaningful results. Team building initiatives were welcome and appreciated.

ConsConstant fear of lay-offs. Fear of ever-popular "re-orgs" which seem to leave everyone with more work for the same amount of pay. Department often lost headcount. Not much room to grow title-wise.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to know more of what's going on. Constant fear of staff reduction is hard to thrive under. Provide performance incentives. For a company that depends entirely on "family" consumers, it doesn't always treat its employees that way.

Meredith Corporation is a great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshealthy living benefits are the best. They also do a physical once a year which is benificial if you don't go to the doctor all that much

Conscorporate needs to listen better to employees. People from corporate came one year to check in but didn't really listen to what they employees were trying to say.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meredith ok publishing company for midwest.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeredith had a great reputation and hire best in their class.

ConsToo many lay offs in the last few years. They seem to be more interested in the bottom line than keeping good people.

Old School but Stable

Executive Editor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompared to other magazine companies, the work hours are sane (at least at my magazine), the managers respectful and thoughtful, and the product something to be proud of. Decent benefits.

ConsShrinking staff although no big layoffs recently. Lots of temps doing work of fulltime employees. Most people stuck in jobs that are stable but with no raises or opportunity for advancement. Still, this is better than layoffs and 10-12 hour days that can be the norm at CNP and Hearst.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to reward staff in ways other than salary increase. Or hell, find a way to give a salary increase. It's been too long.

Entry Level positions

ProsGreat People, Great environment very much enjoyed working here.

ConsNo room for growth, little internal movement, no money

Strong Company with a Well-Defined Focus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart management; Meredith has shown itself to be an innovator in 360 marketing; it may not have the glamorous reputation of Conde Nast but Meredith has great core brands and products and knows how to make the most of them

ConsConstant acquisitions lead to frequent "restructurings" and rounds of layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is top-heavy; provide more opportunities for junior and mid-level staff to grow and evelop

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad opportunities to advance, appreciation for hard work, benefits are excellent

ConsSome of the people they hire in Management positions are absolute idiots...and they are given carte blanche to fire anyone they like, even if it ruins the hard won work of solid excellent employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink who you hire in General Manager positions, maybe the standards that you think are necessary are also detrimental to long term success with staff

Great guidance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior associates gave great guidance and taught me a lot about the industry. Developed my assets to the best of my ability

ConsUnfortunately as an intern I was not compensated but that often comes with the territory of an undergrad internship

Playing It Safe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice people, good attitudes towards employees with families.

ConsThey don't understand the creative side of the businesses they are in very well. They are very good at the business side of things and have a very healthy bottom line, which is great, but they need to support and encourage real creativity with money, strategy and enthusiasm.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be afraid of change and new ideas. These can make money too.

Worked for Meredith Corporation? Contribute to the Community!