Meredith Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meredith Corporation President, CEO, and Director Steve Lacy

Steve Lacy

Pros
  • Good people and work-life balance is important(in 13 reviews)

• Overall work environment is pleasant at times, highly political at other times(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management understands the work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

• During time I was there our department switched from being based in Des Moines to NY(in 5 reviews)

Okay pay, but little creativity or innovation

Art Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIn my experience, the people who work here are nicer than those I met when I was at Conde Nast. Everyone is really down to earth and friendly and I love my boss.

ConsBecause Meredith is a publicly traded company, mass layoffs are common. I'm also considered a temp, even though I work full time and was hired permanently and there's not really much I can do to change my status.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the young people starting at the company! They have a fresh point of view and an understanding of what younger readers are looking for.

Was what it was

Account Executive (Current Employee) Saginaw, MI

ProsWorking in TV has its perks! I met great people I would have never met other wise.

ConsPoor Leadership
    POOR Moral
    Some people I think would eat their young

Enjoyed my time there

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEnjoyed all the people that worked in our office . Environment was positive. I felt I gained some great experience.

ConsDuring time I was there our department switched from being based in Des Moines to NY.... preferred the management in Des Moines. Did not care for the people running our group in NY....felt they ruined the department culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked there a long time until one day the axe fell completely out of the blue.

Senior Editor (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsEnjoyed my work and coworkers. Pay and benefits were good. Pleasant work environment. Emphasis on employee health.

ConsSenior management makes poor decisions. A series of bad acquisitions have resulted in layoffs at profitable divisions. Despite that, officers seem to make more and more money while rank- and-file endure pay freezes and layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste company funds on low- or no-profit acquisitions just because they are tech related. Value experienced employees. Share the wealth -- CEO and several other officers are grossly overpaid

Great people, ok pay, no stability or hope of being ft when temp.

Temporary Associate (Current Employee)

Proscreative environment
    awesome people to work with
    fun

Conshard to find opportunities once you are a ft temp
    no raises, benefits, holiday pay for temps

Meredith is a fast-paced, demanding but rewarding place to work

Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsNational accounts, high end projects, reputation.
    Great benefits, environment, corporate culture.

Consnational trends have direct effect on staffing needs and jobs could easily be cut.

Good place to work overall but not very creative.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood stable work environment. Great Benefits. Good Work/Life Balance.

ConsDepending on what department you work in, it can be a great place to work. For creative folks out there, the work itself isn't very creative or satisfying if you're a creative professional. There are too many chiefs and not a lot of people to do the actual work. Salary is below industry average.

Wonderful, supportive and collaborative working environment.

Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTerrific team of people that work together. In a sea of publishing companies that focus on the superficial, Meredith is a place where intelligence, hard work and collaboration are rewarded.

ConsSince Meredith is a public company, their primary focus is on P&L and they run a tight ship. Corners are cut and benefits are lacking in comparison to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to maintain top talent, salaries need to remain competitive and merit rewards go a long way. An extra few days off for a job well done (if there is a raise freeze) does make a difference.

A place where mediocracy reigns!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsPay scale is competitive
    Good work/life balance

ConsLife-timers run the place.
    A low promotion ceiling for art and edit staff.
    Bottom-line is the only measure of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove on from the mindless/spineless 50's era management style.
    Do something because it's the right thing to do rather then what you have been told to do.
    Stop letting the CEO control your life. We know you really don't want to fire your friends!

Forward thinking, but little future exists

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsVery technologically focused and forward thinking as a whole. Many people are friendly, and the work-life balance is superb. The benefits are great and there are many free perks from a workout facility to free coffee and sodas.

ConsThe job security isn't great and the outlook appears to be bleak. Aside from the digital aspect, the magazine industry isn't doing well. Likewise, many people are constantly changing positions and jobs in an effort to have more security, so it becomes difficult to get comfortable in your position.

Worked for Meredith Corporation? Contribute to the Community!