Merge Healthcare

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

Justin C. Dearborn

Pros
  • In engineering you work with some great people (in 4 reviews)

• personal growth opportunities, market leading products and portfolio, forward thinking company vision, competent leaders, good benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Especially in middle and upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management only likes those who talk a lot, but not those who act a lot (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Merge Healthcare

Pros

Great training, good people willing to help

Cons

Hard time understanding job duties

I do not recommend working here. Don't waste your time.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Merge Healthcare

Pros

Location is perfect. Benefits are average. If you're half-way intelligent you can be successful here. If you have extremely low expectations, you'll love it. If you've not worked for a decently organized and resourced company - you'll think this is just fine.

Cons

TURNOVER just doesn't stop but management doesn't seem to see it.
    We continue to hire inexperienced managers and "VPs" with limited experience in managing teams and zero to no experience in our market or our products.
    We're bottom heavy (specialists/leads/coordinators) and top heavy (VPs/Presidents); we're left with people that have 2-6 years experience running the show. What a joke!
    HR? What HR? Training is still trying to get it together ... after at least 3 years.
    Presidents of business lines are Inappropriate in every way but considered cute and charming, so it is OK.
    Women are gawked at and hit on and called girls.

Will our leaders ever get with the program?
    Great CEO but the majority of his reports are laughable and do not know how to build strategy or lead people.
    It is far past the time to ramp up the talent level in Senior Management business leaders.
    Get people in here who have the skills, expertise and interest to get the job done - not just those that can state a high-level vision and present once every few months, but those who can articulate key milestones to get it done while building and empowering their teams.

Not ready for prime time. Still.

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health care is interesting and there is a lot happening. Easy to get a job and do well. Nice first look at a health care technology company and what it should not be.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Inability to direct teams appropriately. No HR. Training is nonexistent and people whose job it is (HR) are doing nothing that makes a difference. Competitor companies have our plans as soon as we do. Not a good place if you really want sales training. You won't get anything but a president who thinks it is only about looking good and playing music on sales phone meetings. Unfortunate. Potential is here but not the right people.

Stop making people use their own cell phones and credit cards. Stop hiring "leaders" with no leadership experience. Get a consultant company to weed out all the people in management that don't know what they are doing.

Senior Contract Accountant

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time

Pros

Very down to earth team. Not the typical tell me about time type questions.

Cons

The office culture was very rigid. Nobody seemed to have fun being in the office. It was just blah

Not what I expected.

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to travel the country

Cons

having to use your own credit cads and cell phone

Supply credit cards and cell phones to you consultants

Shouldn't be your first choice

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting industry with healthcare changes happening and lots of great customers.

Cons

So unorganized, so many crazy happenings (like announcing the company was for sale and then not selling it) which made clients and employees nervous. It's a mess.

Get new management.

Great place to grow professionally and make a lot of money.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Merge is a great sales culture. There is no micromanagement but if you need something, management is there for you. Lots of vacation and great benefits. There is a lot of ability to grow from one division to another or to take on more responsibility if you are career driven.

Cons

A lot of constant changes internally and you have to adapt quickly!

Make decisions to create positive change for the long-term rather than the quick changes to get revenue in quick.

Opportunity is Limitless

I have been working at Merge Healthcare

Pros

In the few years I have been here, I have been able to get involved in as many facets as I am willing. The company is still growing so there is so much create and build on to continuously improve. Definitely a great company for those who like to be challenged and get bored by the status quo. The new leadership team is much improved and you can quickly see how its improving the company in the trickle down effect.

Cons

Wrong time to be working in the healthcare industry, not enough money to go around which is obvious in merit increases, bonuses (lack of) and benefits. But if you perform well and go above and beyond, they take care of you.

Not a typical workplace - you climb high on corporate ladder by brown-nosing and good looks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You'll meet some good people in the lower levels (minions) to work with and these people will become good friends with you after you leave, because they share the same feelings and perspective as you in regards to the company.

Cons

Lots of favoritism.. I don't know how Merge is like nowadays but when I was working there you can climb pretty high on the corporate ladder by your good looks. You won't get rewarded by your hard work. Management only looks out for themselves and how much money they can earn. It is always very stressful to work there. You can keep on working, but it'll do you no good. Lots of turnover since I left..all the good people found better jobs elsewhere and moved on.

They did something really well last year - they fired the CEO and SVP of Sales and few executives that should not work there. Hopefully it's a better place now.. so good job on letting go of those people who don't deserve to work there.

Sadly a dysfunctional team of managers

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst I in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst I in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to learn PACS systems in a hard to get into IT specialty. Getting exposure to multiple complex server environments. Time off requests are usually granted with no questions including unplanned days off.

Cons

Benefits could be better. Compensation offered during interview changed and they lied about the higher offer. Since I am not in need of a higher salary and wanted to get into hard to get into PACS field I let this one slide. Salary is just like what other reviewers experienced. Salary is lousy and insulting for those with 10+ years worth of experience. Once hired you will notice no one communicates with you the daily tasks in detail so that you can perform your job and perfect it. You will have to ask all the questions! Their training is not the way you'd expect for an employee. Employees and customers are trained together limiting your ability to ask and get answers from their trainers on the confidential inner workings of their proprietary software. Their HR training is a mind boggling 50 documents and videos that you will be tested on. No ability to retain most of the key information expected of a new hire. Once assigned to take on calls and sit with the guys you will see that others are careful with being too close to you. Ages of the staff are no uniform when the lead is younger and lacks maturity and development of staff by mentoring and working with you to strengthen your weaknesses. Communication is practically non-existent between you and the support manager, team lead and key senior techs. Personally in my opinion this is due to the lack of diversity in their office. They do have an off shore team that has a huge turn around from the lack of support that they are given. Their off shore is based in India and the team lead ridicules them and their accents. A huge problem for a new employee coming from a very diverse city and having Indian, Black, Hispanic and Asian friends all their life. Once you get to know the implementation engineers from PACS and iConnect departments they will talk down, lie and belittle you then ignore your communications and delay all your projects and cases awaiting for their response to escalate. Escalation is a curse word for Merge and you will sink as a tech as you wait for resolution on your cases and explain delays to customer. All the staff are overwhelmed and if you mention that you are to the lead or support manager they will angrily in the back of the line of their attention. Extra money can be made through on call or upgrading of PACS servers but these only go to their buddies in the department. It is really too bad to see such a company like this with all these issues. It is true they do not invest in enough R&D to put out a product that actually works. They sell products knowingly won't work with each other. Their technical documentation is pitiful as one can easily see it is a copy and paste from one version to another and worst of all conflicts facts of functionality with side by side released documents and specs. Don't take their offer just run from here because everyone is worth much more than working here.

Find true leaders that will inspire staff to grow professionally and lead by example. Managers should have good personality traits not just good technical skills to lead their staff.