Merge Healthcare Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
81 reviews filtered by

1. Growing Pains

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Executive leadership is very progressive and looking to grow the company to be a dominant force in the health care image management space

Cons

Too many acquisitions can be challenging to merge (no pun intended) with existing businesses. Lots of valuable balls are hitting the ground from a lack of understanding the new acquisitions from upper management

Slow down the acquisitions and focus on what you have

Fast-paced, sales driven company in the high-growth healthcare IT market

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make Merge a good place to work.There has also recently been a change in senior management so the long-term outlook may be more promising. Only time will tell.

Cons

Very competitive environment that is completely sales driven. Most of the work that is done on any given day is driven by what deal or customer issue is happening at that moment. There is no good, transparent roadmap for corporate strategies (or if there is it is not clearly communicated from the top down) which is why there is a high turnover rate. If you are in sales, you're a king. If not, watch out!

Become more transparent on yearly corporate strategies and reward other employees who aren't in sales. It takes an entire team of support personnel from marketing to product management to operations to R&D to make sales successful!

Former Employee - Senior Implementation Engineer in Hartland, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Implementation Engineer in Hartland, WI

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. The employees are knowledgeable and work well together. They have the usual benefits but paid time off which includes sick days and vacation is low.

Cons

Unorganized, frustrating work environment and poor management. They have unrealistic goals that are impossible to meet because they are unable to define what they want. Everything comes down to billable hours on a timesheet which can't be achieved without enough work to do.

Get rid of the micromanagement billable hours meme.

5. Great opportunities exist for great talent

Former Employee - Manager of Billing and Collections in Hartland, WI
    Former Employee - Manager of Billing and Collections in Hartland, WI

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great learning opportunity in a dynamic environment. Lots of visibility when you do things right and help the business turn the corner during a difficult moment.

Cons

Due to numerous acquisitions, there are many different parallel process to arrive a common output for the various product lines requires large amounts of non-value added work for the individual contributors and middle management. Progress to streamline processes and improve internal IT solutions is slow due to lack of funds and foresight. This is resulting in slowly declining morale in what is otherwise a great environment.

Invest in some much needed software for your teams. Also, set the bar higher for hiring at the individual contributor and middle manager level, and compensate them with higher salary. The increase you get in productivity will more than offset the nominal annual cost.

6. Growing each day...

Current Employee - Confidential in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Confidential in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been promoted twice since I started with the company 2 years ago! Once I gained the product knowledge, I was able to open more doors to create my ideal career path.
    Open door policy and flat organization
    Majority of employees come from large scale Healthcare IT backgrounds and add value fast once joining the company - able to share ideas and best practices, which is very helpful!

Cons

The PTO policy is slightly low compared to other software/IT companies

Add more PTO to the benefit plan OR add a volunteer day that does not count against PTO. Another option would be to add a floating holiday since the majority of employees leave early around holiday weekends anyway.

7. Good stepping stone

I worked at Merge Healthcare (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to get healthcare experience, young fun company. They grew fast through acquisitions but seem to be listening to employees now via their employee survey. Making some progress on basic training, career development etc.

Cons

Too many products and too little training. Mostly have to learn on your own with sink or swim mentality. Low pay and hard work.

If pay was competitive could probably retain more employees.

Struggling Company, Suffering Employees

I worked at Merge Healthcare full-time

Pros

Great group of employees. Good, honest, very hard working employees.

Cons

No investment in R&D. Weak HR staff. Management disengaged and alienated by Board. Employees taken advantage of - regular RIFs, litle to no merit increases, big issues.

Given Board composition - there is nothing management can do. Their hands are tied - literally and figuratively.

9. Merge is a great place to work

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working for an innovative fast growing company. The company is constantly finding new ways to improve the customer and employee experience. Every day is filled with exciting new challenges.

Cons

given the fast growth environment, we need to hire faster.

10. Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to manage my own time and contributions. Given autonomy by Senior Management to create and build a successful department.
     Able to have my input on department direction listened to and in most cases implemented. Fosters a culture of well reasoned risk-taking and not chastised when an idea or course of action doesn't happen how we envision it was going to.
    Senior Management is open to ideas and action plans. Good leadership!

Cons

Not having everyone as excited as I am.

Continue the visionary thinking and product development. We have fantastic momentum and energy that we haven't had in years!

11. Love being part of the Paradigm shift!!!!

Current Employee - Global Support Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Global Support Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Merge Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an amazing work environment with lot's of growth. Opportunities to roll up your sleeves and get work done. All of the employees are fun, high-energy and go out of their way to help each other. I would highly recommend to any of my friends that this is the place to work for. I love being part of the front end of innovation in the e
    clinical market.

Cons

The New platform is performing way better then we ever expected and growth is out of this world.

Lets get ready for 100 percent growth in the next two years.